I have just been reading about this pedal and most of the reviews say its mainly used for blues and classic rock kinda sounds but I have heard of metal guitarists using this pedal to tighten up their rhythm sound.

Is this true?

I play a Musicman Axis through a Peavey 5150 and use a lot of gain. Im thinking of getting an EQ pedal aswell to tweek my sound a bit more.

Will using a tube screamer help me get near to the sound of Killswitch for example. where palm muted bits are very tight and punchy sounding but still get a really nice high gain sound?
The classic rock and blues reviews were probably in reference to a ts9 or ts808 all by its lonesome. My bandmate uses one with his triple rectifier. When you click this thing on as a boost it delivers some hell-worthy gain that would make the pope shit his pants. But you gotta do it right. I dont know what it will sound like through a 5150 considering they already have so much gain but I dont see why it wouldnt work if you rolled the gain back a bit.
Tubescreamers- this is going to look like some wiered jumble of confusing text i appologize from the start hehe..

They're good and Bad at the same time.

They really really really sound best when your really driving your amp *tube amp*. I've pulled some of the best sounds off with a 2x12 tube combo and a tube screamer, its all about volume though, the more volume you have in your amp the better a TS9 sounds.. You have to get the amp dirty and gritty sounding and then the tube screamer pushes it over the top and gives you that 11, 11, 11, 11, 11, all to eleven sound.

If you play quiet, and just want to stomp a pedal and have distortion prepare for disappointment, even at low volumes without overdriving your preamp they just blow. I've used stock, modded *keeley and analogman* TS-9's the Keeley one is the best its the most money. Dont get the Tonelock version or the plastic pedal kind they stink, if its not Green and metal its not the tubescreamer you want... If you get the plastic it will suck both at Loud and quiet volumes

You can get metal sound for gritty rhythms *sort of*, you'll need volume, high output pickups and lots of preamp overdriving but those metal tones would be obtainable only at loud volumes, if you play your axe with the volume chocked back its not gonna work, single sound mentality with these screamers. Its a conundrum....

I stopped using my TS9 only because I moved into a jacques tube blower, it has more gain and with the clean/distorted sound effect. www.ts808.com

if you really really want to have a freaking awesome clean/distorted constant dual sound, 2 amps, framptone ampswitcher or 3 banger and you can blend gain thats what my rig evolved into - Jcm 800, Mesa Tremoverb and I can toggle between gains with the amp pedals and then Blend them with the 3banger you can run 1 amp clean with reverb and the other with distortion. or both with distortion and different gain intensitys. Kind of a mad scientist rig but it was the only solution I could arrive at and still use tube amps and no digital processing. Back to the matter at hand though.

If your looking to tinker with a tubescreamer esque pedal get the Tube blower, check harmony central you will see, all and all its a TS9 more gain, more drive, easier to utilize it.

hope it helps, I've had 50-60 pedals in the last year that I've just bought & sold to experiment with only to find out that only 1 or 2 per type of effect really are good..
well, imo the tube screamers good for anything... its really versatile.. prob one of the best distortion pedals i've tried...
"You take the blue pill , the story ends here, you wake up and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill you stay in wonderland and I'll show you just how deep the rabbit hole goes."
- Morpheus

#3 of Tom Cruise Scares me club.
^lol.

Is got2muchgear speaking the truth about playing at low volumes? Because I plan to buy a Visual sound J&H (the Jekyll side is a TS-808 copy) but I mostly play at low volumes.
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat,
Epiphone Les Paul ES,
Line6 Flextone III,
Laney VC15,
Some pedals,
Some recording gear.
why wouldnt I be? they're blah at low volume! not my fault, contact your local ibanez dealer....

and what I was getting at with the 1 paragraph was the concept of overdriving.

overdrive, a method of overdriving your amps preamp to obtain more gain/distortion or volume..
Last edited by Got2MuchGear at Mar 22, 2007,
^It's just I've heard so much about them, and that's the first time I've ever heard anyone say anything about them sucking at low volumes.
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat,
Epiphone Les Paul ES,
Line6 Flextone III,
Laney VC15,
Some pedals,
Some recording gear.
ah, well its not the same effect at low volume. Without a THD Hotplate, Powersoak or marshall power brake you are not going to get the Good part of a tube screamer at a low volume.. Allot of its value comes in the preamp over driving which is hard to do quietly last time i checked..
Has anyone tried the maxons? That's what killswitch uses, and most people seem to like them better.
Quote by Burpin'Worm
1fine69's car is bloody gorgeous.
The Hyde pedal is good too! I like that one, I've setteled on my jacques tube blower you might want to check them out.. Good stuff..
Maxon and Ibanez were once a single company i believe, I a/b'd the maxon against the TS9 i swear that its the same pedal.
Quote by Got2MuchGear
Maxon and Ibanez were once a single company i believe, I a/b'd the maxon against the TS9 i swear that its the same pedal.

They're not. Maxon's are true bypass and have the JRC4558D op-amp instead of the crappy TA75558's that the Ibanez's use. You can of course replace the op-amp in the TS9, which will give you almost the same pedal as the OD9.

I'd definitely go for the OD9 if I hadn't bought the TS9 first.
Makes sense, Same chassis, pcb . I had a very very hard time telling them apart, they sounded almost identical... All though the maxon produced tighter bass then the TS9. Other then that the Distortion and playing in the upper register of the guitar sounded the same.
Quote by Got2MuchGear
Makes sense, Same chassis, pcb .

Yep. The OD9 only uses about half the components of the TS9, because of it's true bypass-ness(?), which is of course only a good thing.
They were never the same company. Ibanez had these pedals manufactured by Maxon. Then eventually Ibanez was able to manufacture them on their own, and Maxon started making their own versions. So basically, Maxon knew how to make them, so they made some changes and now we have the Maxons we see today.
Yeah, just use the pedal as a clean boost (volume up, gain down) with your 5150, and it will tighten up the sound. So if you want that sound - go for it.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

Thanks for all the info everyone!!

I will have to look into these maxon pedals .

Quote by thrice_removed
Yeah, just use the pedal as a clean boost (volume up, gain down) with your 5150, and it will tighten up the sound. So if you want that sound - go for it.

Thats what I was thinking of doing with it but have it on constantly and use an EQ pedal to boost the signal for lead playing.
Kirk Hammet uses a tubescreamer in his solos
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by face_the_fear
Thanks for all the info everyone!!

I will have to look into these maxon pedals .

Thats what I was thinking of doing with it but have it on constantly and use an EQ pedal to boost the signal for lead playing.

Sounds great! You could even reverse it and have the EQ on all the time and use the overdrive for solos. Either way, just experiment.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.