Hi,

I'm new to the forums, so Hi. Anyway, I'm getting a new amp in a couple of weeks. I don't gig (though I used to). I'll be playing mostly in my room just noodling and working on technique and playing lots of 80's metal tunes and some blues. I went on the Line 6 site and listened to the various sounds. In general, I thought they sounded pretty good. I used to play through a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe tube amp, and though without a distortion pedal, it sucked for playing metal, it did have a warm tone that when coupled with a boss distortion pedal, just freaking rocked. Anyway, I'm interested in hearing anyone's personal experience with Line 6 spider III 75watt. Does it really capture a tube-feel (does it come close)? I typically won't be playing at high volume because the only time I could play is after the kids go to bed. But I do like to get a chunky Metallica tone. I used to play through a roland microcube and it had some good sounds, and I felt that the marshall tone especially, came pretty close to sounding like a tube amp. Thoughts?
My friends got one of these and his opinions of it are - that it was excellent when he first started but the pre-sets get old very quickly and having to scroll through them one at a time got very frustrating

and also that the tone wasnt good
metal might be alright
but its not as good as it could be
plus its 75 watts and for just bedroom practice etc you should probably look at hte better modesl such as a vox or something
No it wont give the tube feel, and most people on here are probably going to say "Ahhhh dont buy it they suck!" But a lot of them haven't played one yet and just say it because its cool to hate on Line 6. I'm not saying that they don't deserve some of it but I really do think the spider III is worthy for a practice amp. I say it wont give you a tube feel because in my experience it didnt. But hey...I had just finished band practice off of a Triple Recto before I had gone to the store and tried it out. I thought it was good, not great but good. I felt a lot of the presets were useful. Dial in a broad idea you want for a tone and then you can tweak it to your liking. The effects are well...what you would expect from a relatively cheap practice amp. Not terrible....but nothing jaw dropping. The only thing you can do is go jam on one and see what you think
Buy Vox Valvetronics
Quote by RHCP94
Green Day should be so proud that there band is better than a bunch of 16 year olds.................medals anyone?

Quote by вяaи∂ иєw
Gotta love ticked off metal heads.

JAMMER-91

Hare Krishna
I'm a beginner and I just got a Line6 SpiderIII 15watt. Even though it's small, it's all I need to practice with and to me it sounds great (probably because I havn't been playing guitar for all that long.) I thought they would suck because that's what most people here say but I love mine!
Quote by shpangler
I'm a beginner and I just got a Line6 SpiderIII 15watt. Even though it's small, it's all I need to practice with and to me it sounds great (probably because I havn't been playing guitar for all that long.) I thought they would suck because that's what most people here say but I love mine!

The only Spider that should be bought is the 15 watt version. It's a good little practice amp.

There are far better options for all the other ones though.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
I have the 150W version it treats me great. It gives assum metal tone, although everyone says ''everything sounds the same and all bullshit'' they all can suck my balls(with pleasure). The presets are cool and if u want an alternative for this amp, i have a suggestion Fender CyberTwin amp it had presets, wheels on the bottom(very helpful), and good tone aswell since it has 2 tubes.
No....its the same technology...just done differently. So really its a matter of preference between those two.
Quote by Crimson_Eve
No....its the same technology...just done differently. So really its a matter of preference between those two.

No, the Vox actually has a tube in it for a preamp. It does a very good job of passing for a tube amp, and does several models of classic amps. My advice is to mod the amp by taking the tube out and replacing it with a Mesa 12AX7. I did it, and now it sounds exactly like a tube amp.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Here's my advice, keep the HRD. Use the money to buy either a POD 2.0 or a Boss GT-8. When connected directly into the FX Return on the HRD, you can use the POD or GT as your preamp, which will give you access to a huge variety of overdriven amp tones. You will be able to retain the sweetness of the tube power section from your amp this way. It's a great setup...for the last year and a half or so, I was running the GT-8/HRD combo and it worked fantastically.