this is basically a rant, and i would like responses who’ve had similar experiences,

i listen to metal, hard rock.(i even listen to lofi like old Liz Phair, Scarling. recently, some electro like Amphibious Assault, Enter Shikari(sorta haha))

i have a sister who own about 30 CDs which consist the latest top 10 TRL hits. Beyonce, R Kelly, Destiny’s Child....
shes been doing vocal training and scored a deal with Sony for a cd release.
she thinks she knows ALL ABOUT music and tells me that i cant lecture her on music cos im not educated enough? cos i dont listen to "real music"?

last night i got into a rather long altercation on guitar and music.
i was plaing some random tune on the key board and my elitist sister comes along and tells me i have no sense in music. (shes the one who had her agency hire someone to help her with her lyrics, and have music written for her)

i told her she has no right to tell me that because she DOESNT listen to guitar driven music. shes not familiar with guitar phrases. how the hell is she supposed to judge whats right or wrong?

she brought up how its cos i make mediocre music. i posted it online on purevolume for a friend and she heard it once.
i told her again, she doesnt listen to metal so she doesnt understand whats "good music" and to some one whos a rock fan would find it an ok tune.

she claims that r&b has guitar riffs....
she starts saying "i listen to the guitar part when i sing all the time"
ive NEVER heard any riffs. ive heard some jazzy picking in a few songs, but guitars arent really an important instrument in r&b/soul.

i tell her i listen to a far wider variety in genre and own more CDs, listen to more bands than her, play the guitar and bass so theres really no saying that im uneducated in music.

um...so its pointless but what would you tell a sibling like my sister?
i feel like im repeating the same thing over and over and even though im able to prove her wrong in a few ways, id just like to have more facts to back it up. (im NOT saying the music i listen to is better than hers, its not about whose genre is better than what)
There's no changing people like her. Just ignore her and focus on your own musical ambitions =)

(And hopefully, become more successful in the music industry than her =D )
That whole article could a been condensed to 'My sister listens to R. Kelly" and that would have been enough. Ignore her opinion and keep doing your own thing.
take her sponsors and become more succesful, maybe she shut up =) and you can tell her that the "guitar riffs" in r&b is a bass riffs who goes about 2-4 notes in repeat
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
- Jimi Hendrix (R.I.P)

"Nobody dies a virgin... Life fucks us all."
- Kurt Donald Cobain (R.I.P)
Quote by yawn
There's no changing people like her. Just ignore her and focus on your own musical ambitions =)

(And hopefully, become more successful in the music industry than her =D )

uhhh yeah,.... not gonna happen

it's "Metal" ..
Wolv
well you are the ignorant saying that soul and r&b dont have guitar. Beyonce is crappy r&b and the likes of her. The Real soul and r&b kicks the ass of al those bands you said. And no, music doesnt need to have guitar to be good. Just listen to jazz. You are both really wrong.

And Enter Shakira Metal?
What would you get in changing her anyway? Just tell her to shut up, and tell her, if she don't like to listen to your kind of music, just **** off.
Quote by Belsius
well you are the ignorant saying that soul and r&b dont have guitar. Beyonce is crappy r&b and the likes of her. The Real soul and r&b kicks the ass of al those bands you said. And no, music doesnt need to have guitar to be good. Just listen to jazz. You are both really wrong.

And Enter Shakira Metal?

I kind of agree with Belsius here.

I think that you are being very ignorant here because from what you are saying, you think that only music with guitar in it is music. You think that if something doesnt have much for instruments its not music. Well heres a question, what about choirs that sing a capella. Does that mean we arent making music? Of course not, in fact, that is some of the most beautiful music out there thats in a capella.

Personally I hate metal. But do I bring that down on you? No I dont because I respect the fact that everyone has different musical tastes.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
^ bravo sir, i'm a big metal head personally. but i applaud you for being DEAD ON. it sounds like that threadstarter is rather close minded about his music. i personally enjoy all kinds of music (but hard rockin metal is my favorite) but i would also like to state that his sister sounds like a total b!tch. if i were him i'd ask her a simple musical question (such as "what is the minor third of F#?" and when she can't answer it then throw it back in her face (thats if it was me) i had the same sister you have, she wouldn't be impressed unless you played an awful pop or country tune. i could play a killer classical song all day and she wouldn't care. i'm getting off track though. it sounds like both of you need to expand your musical horizons.... and uh, grow up a little y'know?
Quote by z4twenny
^ bravo sir, i'm a big metal head personally. but i applaud you for being DEAD ON. it sounds like that threadstarter is rather close minded about his music. i personally enjoy all kinds of music (but hard rockin metal is my favorite) but i would also like to state that his sister sounds like a total b!tch. if i were him i'd ask her a simple musical question (such as "what is the minor third of F#?" and when she can't answer it then throw it back in her face (thats if it was me) i had the same sister you have, she wouldn't be impressed unless you played an awful pop or country tune. i could play a killer classical song all day and she wouldn't care. i'm getting off track though. it sounds like both of you need to expand your musical horizons.... and uh, grow up a little y'know?

Ya I didnt really touch on your sister either because it seems that if you change your attitude about the whole thing and look at it from a different perspective, that you will see her side of it. Sure she is being a jerk about it as well, but like it says in the Bible...dont point at the speck in someone elses eye, first take out the plank in your own eye (or something like that, I cant remember exactly how it goes).
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
theres no talent in the TRL music, all there shit is prewrittin by someone who has music knowledge, and all the gay beats are ****ing keyboards and computers. tell she is a ignorant bitch and has no idea what itsa like to actyually play music, then slice her throat on the kitchen table
Pretty much the same thing here. My sister isn't a musician, but really likes to bad mouth the bands I enjoy. She thinks if it isn't popular on the radio, it isn't good. I've chosen to handle the bad talk in one of two ways. The first way is that I simply ignore what she is saying and mind my own business. The second is that I try to, in effect, show her up and, usually, it shuts her up. So if she's questioning your musical knowledge, try to make her look bad by bringing up a concept in music theory. When she can't give the correct answer, or refuses to, simply state "wow, you really do know a lot about music, don't you?" I guarantee that after you show her up a few times, she'll shut up. No one likes having their pride broken.
My Gear:
Epiphone PR-100 Acoustic
Agile AL-2000 Silverburst Electric
Behringer V-Tone 15W Amp

Check out my friend's Music blog by clicking here!
Quote by vengence6661
theres no talent in the TRL music, all there shit is prewrittin by someone who has music knowledge...

so what you just said there is that someone with knowledge wrote the music, meaning it is considered music.

and all the gay beats are ****ing keyboards and computers. tell she is a ignorant bitch and has no idea what itsa like to actyually play music, then slice her throat on the kitchen table

Ok bud, Ive said this to other people before, so listen up. We dont need this shit here in the MT forum. If you want to come and disrupt UG, then go to the Pit. But dont ever come here again unless you are ready to give a real answer and treat people with respect.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh

Screaming Help
tell her she knows more in her genre and you know more in yours, if she doesnt understand then forget about it.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

thanks again justin, you beat me to it. i was gonna retort with some other factual info (about how many rock/metal/industrial musicians use computers and keyboards) but yeah, just let it slide, don't sweat it. she obviously isn't very open minded with music, which definately won't get you far musically, even if she does get a chance to entertain sony.
Sweet, a battle of egos!

Hmm, sounds ridiculous enough to belong in the pit. Take it there.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.