i am looking to buy my first pedal. I dont really play real hard metal maybe just some random metallica riffs, but i usually play classic rock and song with just a mild distortion, so i was looking at the TS-9 or the BD-2, but i have a SS amp so sould i stay away from OD pedal or will OD pedal still sound ok on SS amps??

also what are some mild distortion pedals that arent OD pedal??
you're right, don't get OD with SS. I have a bad monkey OD, sounds good on my 'valvestate' Marshall AVT100 (not a proper tube amp, but better than SS), sounds like ass on my microcube.

Boss DS-1 or blues driver are very mild.
Traditionally you're relying on powertube saturation to achieve heavy levels of distortion, although lots of modern metal-orientated amps chuck out a lot of preamp distortion too. If you're looking for powertube distortion that means running the amp very loud, you don't get an awful lot of control over the distortion and you don't get "extreme" levels of distortion.

Overdrive pedals mimic the sound of a tube amps distortion, and as such tend to "stack" quite nicely with the amps natural distortion giving you more control over the sound and more gain. It's particularly useful on something like a Fender Hot Rod but it works on gain monsters like the 5150 too, it's unlikely you'd need the extra gain but you'll get a different shape to the tone that you may prefer.

With a solid state amp the "stacking" thing doesn't always work so well, often sticking any kind of booster in the distortion channel results in unacceptable levels of noise, that being the case you're usually better off getting all your distortion from a pedal run through the clean channel which means a dirtier distortion-type pedal is better. Essentially all they do is mimic the high gain sounds you can achieve by over-overdriving a tube amp with a pedal anyway.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
so i dont need to get an overdrive pedal with my SS amp. also what will a OD pedal do on the clean channel of my SS amp??
You can use an OD on any amp, just because it has the word tube in thhe name doesn't mean you need a valve amp.
It just wouldn't work too well as a booster to your current amps OD. On the clean channel, it'll just act as a nice crunchy distortion
Not really, it will definitely create more distortion on the clean channel, but I wouldn't classify it as "nice and crunchy." More like "crappy." They just weren't made for SS - now you can use any pedal with any amp, but od's were created specifically for tubes, and hence, sound the best in combination with them.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

so i dont need to get an overdrive pedal with my SS amp. also what will a OD pedal do on the clean channel of my SS amp??

An overdrive pedal on the clean channel will mimic the sound of a tube overdrive, a warm, mild distortion. I'd try the BD-2 on the clean channel of your amp and see how you like it, it's got a bit more gain and character than the other Boss overdrives so works better as a stand-alone pedal.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I'd say go with a Boss DS-1 or maybe a Marshall Guv'nor
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
i can get nice warm crunchy sounds with a tube screamer on an SS amp, its not that hard.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
i can get nice warm crunchy sounds with a tube screamer on an SS amp, its not that hard.

All i know is when I tried it, it sounded just crummy. I spent almost an hour with it, and could not get a good tone. But that was a while back........ +1 on Mr. Hanky's suggestion.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

perhaps it was just your amp? tube amps are all well and great, but i have a feeling this guy cant afford one.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
perhaps it was just your amp? tube amps are all well and great, but i have a feeling this guy cant afford one.

With the Valve Junior, everyone can afford a tube amp.
yeah, but the VJ isnt suitable for everyone. Just because it has tubes in it doesnt make it the end all be all of cheap amps.

Last.fm
yeah im gonna get a Hot rod deluxe when ever i get some money, but does the BD-2 have a wider variaty of tone possibilites than the TS-9??
Quote by dbrufus1234
yeah im gonna get a Hot rod deluxe when ever i get some money, but does the BD-2 have a wider variaty of tone possibilites than the TS-9??

I think the TS-9 is the better pedal. The 808 is better still.

And tubescreamers sound great with SS amps, it's just that pretty much everything generally sounds BETTER on tube amps. If it's your plan to upgrade to a tube eventually, may as well get a pedal now that you'll get great use out of then, too.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by thrice_removed
Not really, it will definitely create more distortion on the clean channel, but I wouldn't classify it as "nice and crunchy." More like "crappy." They just weren't made for SS - now you can use any pedal with any amp, but od's were created specifically for tubes, and hence, sound the best in combination with them.

Aaaaaaaaaaarrrrgggggggggghhhhh

OD pedals werent "made" for anything other than plain old amps. Not tube amps, not SS amps, they were made for any amp. It doesn't matter whether it's tube or SS.