Page 1 of 2
Just curious. How long did it take you and what were your practice habits? How long/day dedicated to alternate picking... Did you have to practice every day? Did you plateau for a while?
I could play as fast as Yngwie quite easily. But 50/100 notes would actually be right. A better question would be how long till you could play as well as Yngwie?
Well actually this is just a plain crappy thread.
Yeah, Ive been practicing everyday for 15 years . About 15 hours. And now I can play fast!1!!!!

What a crap thread...
Quote by beckyjc
I could play as fast as Yngwie quite easily. But 50/100 notes would actually be right. A better question would be how long till you could play as well as Yngwie?
Well actually this is just a plain crappy thread.

Actually, I'm more interested in the speed thing right now. 'Playing well' is subjective, speed is not--it can be measured. Sorry about the 'crappy thread', but, truth be told, no one forced you to respond.
Everyone on earth can play as fast as Yngwie, but as well as Yngwie, doubt anyone on earth could do that. So all in all, worst thread ever.
Schecter C-1 Classic
LTD EC-1000
Fender American FSR Mahog. Chambered Tele 60th
Fender Mexican Strat SD Hot Rails Br/Ne
Fender Hot Rod Deville 4x10
Boss DD-6
Boss Metal Zone
im relatively new to the electric guitar, so i also have this question popping up in my mind. Its like when u start learning something then u always think 'when can i do it as well as him?".

same thing here. i always wondered when i can reach the level i want. (which is improvising scales well and not sounding like crap while doing so, and also playing with demonic speed)
I know i have to practise, its quintessential, but it wud be gd to have a rough guage. Just so i have my mind in peace
well, Yngwie has scallopped frets on his guitar. i am starting to get the hang of it, but i have a twin humbucker guitar, he has a tripple single coil guitar, maybe a fender squire or something like that. then, practice for about an hour a day, just playing. make some cool notes. practice tapping. when you get really good, you can try sweepicking. thats hard
took about 6 months from the time i started. steps to take:
eruption
master of puppets
through the fire and the flames
then yngwie
youll be prepared by then...go through those trust me...itll make it easier
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
yep, I've tried the sweep picking thing. At this time I can play arpeggio's better alternate picked. Not very fast mind you. But basically, lespaulcaster is thinking along the same line as me with regard to this thread. I'm a beginner and I want to play as fast as Yngwie some day, so I'm just looking for a gauge. Don't mean to offend anybody.
Quote by afrika18
yep, I've tried the sweep picking thing. At this time I can play arpeggio's better alternate picked. Not very fast mind you. But basically, lespaulcaster is thinking along the same line as me with regard to this thread. I'm a beginner and I want to play as fast as Yngwie some day, so I'm just looking for a gauge. Don't mean to offend anybody.

Its not like you offended anyone, There just no point in the thread. You can play fast as hell but the problem is making it sound good, not mechanical or boring.
Quote by RealThing
Yeah, Ive been practicing everyday for 15 years . About 15 hours. And now I can play fast!1!!!!

What a crap thread...

Are you a 'fly' then...RealThing? Hovering around 'crap'? Do you derive nourishment from it?

You don't like it? Don't ****ing respond, jackass...
Quote by afrika18
Actually, I'm more interested in the speed thing right now. 'Playing well' is subjective, speed is not--it can be measured. Sorry about the 'crappy thread', but, truth be told, no one forced you to respond.

That made me smile, nice response there.

Best 07'er i've seen so far lol.
Quote by RealThing
Its not like you offended anyone, There just no point in the thread. You can play fast as hell but the problem is making it sound good, not mechanical or boring.

Forgive the harshness of my last post RealThing. I thought you were just a flamer. I understand that playing well is more important than playing fast. But at this time, I'm interested in building speed and it is to those of a similar bent that this post is addressed. I apologize for the nastiness of my last post.
I dun think i can go into eruption at this stage.. i forsee another 6 mths practice before i can start on eruption.
its acually quite easy...after 5 months after i started, it only took me 2 weeks to get it down.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
how long do u practise each day? and what shd i be practising now ( i only know chords and the A minor pentatonic scale)
well, the first 7 months i played, i enjoyed it A LOT, so i dont really view playing as practice. i played idk, about 4 hours a day, 7-10 on the weekend. now (month 11) i really dont have to spend more than an hour or so to learn a song...learn the pentatonic, and some scale like a dorian, and tehn change em a little...and you pretty much got a lot to work with. after you learn eruption, learn like master of puppets, ride the lightning, and the some dragonforce....really after that...your skill level should allow you to play most whatever you choose.
Quote by Jack Off Jill

Quote by *sigh*
Why would I want to play like him?
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by lespaulcaster
how long do u practise each day? and what shd i be practising now ( i only know chords and the A minor pentatonic scale)

For me, the hardest part of Eruption is the tremolo picking. I can do all the legato stuff. I've recently discovered the key to improving your alternate picking: start small, and be repetitive. I set the metronome to about 80 and play 16th notes as follows (on the high e-string): -------0-0-0-0-7-7-7-7-8-8-8-8-10-10-10-10- repeat, and then --0-0-0-0-5-5-5-5-6-6-6-6-8-8-8-8; I did this over and over again last night for an hour, and believe it or not, I got a taste for the feel of 'true' alternate picking. I worked the speed up to 125 at the end of the hour. I realize that this is not fast. The important thing is, I started to 'feel' the technique and the possibility of it improving considerably with more practice. Before, I used to practice alternate picking only using complex scales... But this didn't really give me a chance to isolate the technique in itself. Just by repeating this simple pattern, I isolated the up/down strokes and was really able to work on how the muscle's move etc... This is probably old news to most of the readers here, but please don't flame. I'm a beginner.
yngwie is pretty dang good
Quote by Jack Off Jill

Quote by *sigh*
People are all different.

Some people have stubby little mitts for hands, while others a giant spider like claw.

The whole thing varies on you as a person, your physical qualities, and how dedicated you are.
Last edited by Tallman at Mar 22, 2007,
Quote by afrika18
Forgive the harshness of my last post RealThing. I thought you were just a flamer. I understand that playing well is more important than playing fast. But at this time, I'm interested in building speed and it is to those of a similar bent that this post is addressed. I apologize for the nastiness of my last post.

His point was the difference between "speed" and "good speed," I think. Anyone can pick up a guitar and thrash a string really fast. Doing it cleanly like Yngwie or Petrucci is an entirely different matter.

I'm still not there, but I'm working on it.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
I've been playing years and am nowhere near that fast, more to the point I'm not remotely arsed.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by afrika18

you need to chill out, you get offended way to easy which makes you easy prey in UG...

speed it's-self is the byproduct of accuracy, so can practice playing fast all you want but untill you can play it slow you'll never be able to play it well. and if you can't play it well then you'll sound like every other dousche that wanks of at Guitar Center
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
this topic is dumb. it doesn't matter whether you can play fast or not, as long as you can play well. people trying to play faster than everyone else gives me the impression that they are trying to compensate for something
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
till?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You're a moron if you think speed is better than accurate speed. A ****ing crippled infant could have finger spasms and play as fast as anyone.
I'm not racist.

I hate everyone the same.

I alternate pick, can syncronized tremolo pick and all that crap, but I don't want to, I like slower melodic bits.

In terms of how long it took to build up the speed? About a year. About three years before my left hand could keep pace with my picking hand. I play viola and violin, where "shredding" is a lot easier to do as your fingers don't go so far, sadly the insane speed I built up there did not translate to the guitar very well.
you do know that hes slightly autistic anyway, which is why he could sit there for 12 hours a day just playing scales up and down over and over. Most people get bored of it after a while.
My gear:
Ibanez Prestige RG2550E
Schecter Damien 6
BOSS GT-8 Multi FX
BOSS MT-2
Quote by afrika18
Are you a 'fly' then...RealThing? Hovering around 'crap'? Do you derive nourishment from it?

You don't like it? Don't ****ing respond, jackass...

No, he's right, it's a pretty dumb thread imo.

It's like asking who can drive as fast as (insert F1 Driver's name), but can you do it without smashing into a wall.
I think rather than just trying to play quickly, I'd want to spend my time becoming GOOD at guitar and making great songs. However fast I happen to get while doing that, well, that's as fast as I ever want to get.
....to the guy that said 'i dont care about how good i play i just want to play fast right now'

YOU SUCK AT LIFE

yeah caps was allowed there. O____O

And a good tip: randomly strum all of your strings very hard while making random movements across the fretboard very fast. there. you'll play good and crap and thats what you wanted. happy? O_O
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
I don't wanna play like Yngwie. I have my own style
Gear as 2015:
Ibanez PGM401
Music Man JP6 (for sale)
Music Man Axis (for sale)
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Ibanez EW Acoustic Steel string
Crappy Cort Acoustic 12-string
NI Rig Kontrol 3 & Guitar Rig 5
Chances are You never will play like yngwie. Most people dont ever.
Sorry to be the jerk who says it.
People like that are exceptional.
You need to put 4-5 hours a day for a few years into nothing but practice usually to play like that.
Ive got a friend who can do it, but I cant.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
i got the speed but i just don't play in his style. i do use some classical influences but i prefer to vary things up more. songs that are nothing but shred are like *insert food item thats good but can make you sick*, nice to listen to for a little bit, but after that its like "god, not another one! make it stop already."
The Big Three

RR1 Rhoads, Dean FBD Dimbag Tribute ML (check), Ibanez Bad Horsie JEM

"blacker than the blackest black...times infinity."

"so get your ass checked out before its to late, turkeys!"
Page 1 of 2