Okay...i've been playing guitar for about 6 years now....and i've always used a hard tailed guitar. Before now i never saw the point in using a floyd rose or any other type of whammy bar...but i went to guitar center and played a pretty good looking ibanez and omg...the action was perfect and sounded pretty good too (granite i was playing on a mesa dual recto) but still...Now...i have a schecter c-1 exotic which is still my favorite guitar...but my real question is how do you use a whammy bar tastefully...i mean...i've seen people just screw around with them, but are there any practice methods or techniques that would help me learn how to use one. I have been thinking about buying a guitar with a whammy bar, but i'm afraid i will just mess around and not really learn how to use it.
Quote by Preid
plants are basicly sex organs on stems, pollen is airbourn jizzum.

So all us hayfever suffers are allergic to plant jizz...
There are many techniques for the whammy bar.

Unfortunetly I only know the divebomb hah.

They really are abit of fun most of the time; Not nessasary things.

Best use i've seen of a whammy is Mr Dimebag.
SRV and Hendrix for rock/blues, some real tasty use, EVH is full of a lot of wankery, but he has some very tasteful use too, Shawn Lane is an expert, Dimebag had some tasteful use between the wankery, and Jeff Loomis from Nevermore is another expert.

A lot of EVH stuff off the first few albums is not super difficult, with some exceptions. That will really work out your technique and get you rolling. Dime is another with some very cool use that isn't completely over the top hard. SRV and Hendrix obviously, great soulful use with a ton of feeling. Lane is incredible, but I would put him in the advanced category. Same with Loomis. I mean there are a ton of other guys too, this is just a sample.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Mar 22, 2007,
is there any special way to hold the bar in your hand while your playing?
Quote by Preid

Satch and Vai are both masters of the floyd. More Vai I'd say. Check out songs like Bad Horsie
Alexi and Roope out of Bodom seem quite fond of theirs'
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
Quote by srv_king
Satch and Vai are both masters of the floyd. More Vai I'd say. Check out songs like Bad Horsie

doh! dunno how I could have left them out.

I don't think there's any special way to hold it, whatever is comfortable, however certain guys will pick with the bar resting between their fingers like Lane. I tend to bend on it too much if I'm trying to pick with it in my hand, so I usually just grab it when I want it.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
is there any drawbacks to having a whammy bar???
Quote by Preid

I like the string feel, the actions nice and even from top to bottom where as a les paul style guitar the action changes as you work up the neck.
yeah...i do have to admit...the guitar didnt seem like it had any drawbacks when i was playing it...strings where awesome..sounded good....but is there any problems re-stringing the guitar....in inotation problems that occur with locking tremelos?
Quote by Preid

Other then the dive bomb a popular trick is to compress the tremolo, hit a note, and release for a neat sound. There's a lot of neat thing you can do with a temolo and wahs too. Experiment.
Quote by AceOfBlades
How do I find out what kinda trem I got? I have an Ibanez RG270, if that helps.

You'll most likely have a floating trem, especially if the end of the guitar looks like this;

Floating trems; Great for dive-bombs and keeping the guitar in tune for months on end
; Bad for changing string gauges and changing key
I hope it doesn't seem, like I'm young, foolish, and green.
Let me in for a minute, you're not my life but I want you in it

O Dayya, te echaré de menos, siempre

Y siempre
Y para siempre
Quote by BlackLuster
You'll most likely have a floating trem, especially if the end of the guitar looks like this;

Floating trems; Great for dive-bombs and keeping the guitar in tune for months on end
; Bad for changing string gauges and changing key

Oh yeah, I know it's floating trem, I just didn't know what kind.
I've heard bad things about the Edge Pro III, and was just wondering what type mine is, it looks exactly like the one in the picture, so what's that? OFR? Edge?
It would most likely be an EDGEIII.
My gear:
OLP John Petrucci Sig.
Epiphone Les Paul
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Mesa/Boogie .50 Caliber+ 112
I have a question about the FR trem. Is the bridge suppose to be level with guitar, or should it be leaning towards one side. Im talking about when its at rest of course.
My Gear
Burny LP Custom w/ Fernandes Sustainer and EMG
Crate Vintage Club All-tube 50
Fender Roc Pro 1000 head
Crate GFX 4x12 cab
Jekyll & Hyde Overdrive/Distortion pedal
Some like it a little in or out too thats ok if you want some extra range in one direction or another. But for general rule you want it straight with the body dead flush.
OK, cool thanks.
My Gear
Burny LP Custom w/ Fernandes Sustainer and EMG
Crate Vintage Club All-tube 50
Fender Roc Pro 1000 head
Crate GFX 4x12 cab
Jekyll & Hyde Overdrive/Distortion pedal
Only thing that sucks about them is changing strings, other than that...
Quote by Gaz_m2k5
Now when people say "Congratulations, I heard you just had a baby" you can say "Thanks! It was delicious."

/#1 reason for having a kid.

PSN: YosemiteSam13
Quote by jazzman07
is there any drawbacks to having a whammy bar???

umm, one if you don't have good tunning pegs it screws around with your guitar tunning, specially if your using a floyd rose.

two, strings have a better chance of breaking, agian specially if its a floyd rose

two, it will sound like crap if you don't use it right, but it sounds awesome if you do.