assuming a band wanted to get a record deal what would they have to do or who would they get one?
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
Play Gigs, lots of them, build a large local following, and then play in bigger cities when you can, try to get in with a good promoter, and send demo tapes to every record label in the country, throw them at people who know people, and if you happen to come across a big star, give him one, make him take it if he doesnt want to. Thats all you can do really...
well the best way to get a record deal is to send envelopes filled with bloody razor blades and your demo cd to record executives. this will let them know of the alternatives if they do not sign you
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
Quote by Drmckool
well the best way to get a record deal is to send envelopes filled with bloody razor blades and your demo cd to record executives. this will let them know of the alternatives if they do not sign you

Yeah you can be like Ol' Johnny, playin gigs in jail. This aint the pit, be serious num nuts.
sorry dawg but i've heard of people actually doing this and it's a different angle then given. plus the answer is easy gig alot and know someone
I shot JR

Learn how to type, and please learn some grammar. Thank you.

that is incredibly disrespectful and demeaning. why did you feel it was necessary to insult someone that you have never met before over the internet. yes, i made a small joke and yes you obviously did not appreciate my joke, i responded and gave a serious answer and was met with a slightly malicious personal attack. since i have obviously never met you i cannot adequately judge you however, if i may end my admonishment of you with reciting a judeo-christian value to you which obviously needs to be brought into your life "do unto others as others would do unto you"

have a nice day

ps. you said learn to type but you misspelled numb and aint is not a word. practice what you preach

but again to the thread starter you just need a good sound, a positive attitude and alot of luck to get signed that's my philosophy and i hope i will get signed
I shot JR

Last edited by Drmckool at Mar 22, 2007,
all i gotta say is be very orginal and worthwhile

exactly.u need to be origional and have the right connections,and above all GIG.GIG.GIG!!
Well, Jesus Christ, I'm not scared to die,

I'm a little bit scared of what comes after

Do I get the gold chariot?

Do I float through the ceiling?
oh come on.. the flaming is following me everywhere i go. UG's become a pretty hostile place..

Well, you could start trying recording an EP or a few singles, produce them on your own..

It's a natural progression..
^_^
i dig that and ya the flaming is getting pretty bad i think everyone needs to chill a bit, they are all to up their own asses to just be chill
I shot JR

well i might not have gotte na record deal but i have licenced songs to a feature film so it's kind of on the same road
I shot JR

gig anytime you deem neccesary
www.myspace.com/symmetry4321

Quote by RockerPseudonym
I think stone is either 7 or 14 lbs

Edit I'm gonna go with 14 because it's rather unlikely you're 56 pounds

Quote by evening_crow
sounds like....u need a...

BAND MEETING!!!
which film?
Quote by yawn
Wikipedia articles are my inspiration.

www.myspace.com/symmetry4321

Custom Strat
Roland Cube 30 (soon upgrading to Peavy Valveking 112)
Danelectro FAB Metal
Marshall VT-1

RIP Chris Benoit
Well, I never did sign. I like being independent. All our Filipino groups start selling out and becoming *****-bands to mainstream culture once they sign.
^_^
Quote by Doolittle
all i gotta say is be very orginal and worthwhile

ah yes but not too original. record execs and the common man still want to put you in a genre and compare you to other artists, being too original simply isnt marketable, no audience for it. if you can say "this band sounds sort of like cream mixed with sublime" people can sort of imagine that. if you cant compare your band to another band then execs might not be able to and you wont be marketable.
Quote by TMAW
which film?

it was a canadian film called a stone's throw
I shot JR

Quote by Drmckool
it was a canadian film called a stone's throw

how much you get paid for it? did you give them the rights, or just let them use it?
^_^
we got paid $300 for 2 songs, $75 per member. we gave them semi-exclusive rights to it meaning we owned the songs are credited with writing the songs but they are allowed to use the songs with anything to do with the movie. there were two songs (Numero Duo and Kinky Sex Mask)
I shot JR

record companies generally want to make money , thats their primary concern .
they already have a lot of money so you would probally need to buy your way in .
airtime on mtv cost big money .
if you get the most talented musician in the world , there will be a whole entourage of people making money of thier talent , because they know x y or z and whoever.
record companies which set up without big money behind , rarely become sucessfull , and if they do it is only because a major company buys them out .

are you super rich ?
if so then you can probally buy yourself a record deal , dont count on it being very sucessful though or for the record company to really care less about your music .

if you are not super rich the best advice i can give is record stuff your self , get together with local bands and make a compilation cd together you can all sell them at your gigs .
sell your own music .
that should be SELL in capital letters .
ther more sales you get the more likely you wil get a record deal .
Most people think getting a record deal is like approaching a bank to start up a business .
From my experience it is more like approaching or being approached by a loan shark/credit card company who wants to give you a quick fix of cash and reel in the interest for the rest of your carear.
1. Beg or borrow $15,000.00 (£7,636)
2. Record and release your own album, book a tour.
3. Tour extensivly and promote your band 24-7 for the next two years. (You will need some friends to help with this part)
4. When the indie labels find out you sold 5000 CDs on your own without their help, they will get in touch with you.

*5. If at this point you decide that signing to a label isn't worth it any more, why not sign some of the other good bands you met on tour? Now you make money off your own band and your new friends' band.
Quote by tagyoureit
1. Beg or borrow $15,000.00 (£7,636)
2. Record and release your own album, book a tour.
3. Tour extensivly and promote your band 24-7 for the next two years. (You will need some friends to help with this part)
4. When the indie labels find out you sold 5000 CDs on your own without their help, they will get in touch with you.

*5. If at this point you decide that signing to a label isn't worth it any more, why not sign some of the other good bands you met on tour? Now you make money off your own band and your new friends' band.

hheh.. nice game plan..
^_^