i just wanted to know how to right a trivium-like riff on guitar?

like both rythm and lead
Wrong forum.

This needs to go in Musician Talk, I suppose.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Also, may I suggest that you not try to write Trivium riffs. There's not much point in trying to imitate something that sucks.
Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
if ur going to play some american idiot stuff heres the settings:

Master Volume : 0
i dunno about the rest
Quote by TeenBite
Also, may I suggest that you not try to write Trivium riffs. There's not much point in trying to imitate something that sucks.

Take away 'that sucks' and that was an intelligent post.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Quote by TeenBite

Haha. Agreed 100%.

But in order to write a Trivium riff, just write a riff that sounds like every other crappy nu metal thrash band that totally steals Metallica's old sound.
Quote by 1201ZJ
Well this calls for a beer, Uncle-Dad Cletus!

Quote by EchoxOath
HAAAAA! Jokes on you! I high fived you with the hand i fapped with!
Quote by TeenBite

Says the kid with the AFI avatar? But I do agree with the other guy. Take out "that sucks" and you don't seem like an ass. (ironic, yes)

Trivium take a lot of Thrash Metal influence, so check out some of that.
As for actually writing a riff. That's all you. There is no formula. If you have Music Theory knowledge, that would definitely help. Most people, however, write stuff just from messing around.
Spiral Out
Quote by duncang
Take away 'that sucks' and that was an intelligent post.

Haha, yeah... I don't like Trivium, but still.

I guess you just mess around in drop D or something.
I don't get whats so bad about Trivium. They're great musicians making it in the real world. They've gotten themselves where they are now and they deserve credit for that. I think they're extremely talented, and they're compositions are near perfect. If you think you're any better, I want to see you where they're at now.

As for the thread, it probably is the wrong forum, but learn theory (scales, chords, etc.). Trivium mostly uses minor tonality scales. They sweep pick many different arpeggios in their solos such as the basic Am arpeggio. Learn things like that, and you'll be able to create riffs with a very dark feel.

Edit: Also, I love both Children of Bodom (seems to be very popular on UG) and Trivium, but honestly, Matt Heafy kicks COBs ass alone.
Last edited by 6_6_6_1_syn at Mar 23, 2007,
Quote by 6_6_6_1_syn
Also, I love both Children of Bodom (seems to be very popular on UG) and Trivium, but honestly, Matt Heafy kicks COBs ass alone.

Sorry, I found that hilarious.
Quote by 1201ZJ
Well this calls for a beer, Uncle-Dad Cletus!

Quote by EchoxOath
HAAAAA! Jokes on you! I high fived you with the hand i fapped with!
But it's so f*cking true!

I'm sorry but I love Trivium...and I don't really think of them as nu metal at all. They're very innovative as musicians.