Okay so right now i'm using a Peavey Valveking head and cab. I'm a university student, poor and all, so I can't afford to upgrade my head and cab. I've become dissatisfied with my lead channel, not liking the distortion tone that comes out of it. I'm wondering if switching to my clean channel and hooking up a distortion pedal is a decent idea. Also, what kind of a distortion pedal can give me a nice hard rock distortion.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Quote by zwound
i'm thinking ibanez tube screamer

I've heard that gives a bluesier tone. Is that true? Because i'm going for a rockier tone than that.
Why don't you give us an example of what tone you're going for? Like a band or something.
Quote by paulefty
Dr. No I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!
Quote by Dr. No
Why don't you give us an example of what tone you're going for? Like a band or something.

Foo Fighters circa the colour and the shape? Modern rock/pop punk bands general tone. I wanna start there and then start to modify once i'm in a safe tone
Quote by yatta
I've heard that gives a bluesier tone. Is that true? Because i'm going for a rockier tone than that.

It's versatile for everything. it's mostly metal though.
Since you are in a bit of a cash crunch, may I suggest that you look into a multimode pedal, like the Digitech DX-7 that has 7 distortion models that are all individually configurable?

A Tube Screamer is definitely more blusey...SRV, etc..lived by that box.

MXR Distortion boxes are awesome for a soaring, killer rock tone.

Do yourself a favor, head to the pedal websites, Digitech, MXR, Boss, etc and listen to the sound samples of all the different pedals that are available.

Hope this was helpful.

My Gear
Epi LP Custom (SD pups)
Jackson DKMG
Fender Fat Strat
Dean Performer E
Digitech GNX4
Digitech EX-7
Vox AD100VT
Vox DA5
Quote by zwound
It's versatile for everything. it's mostly metal though.

wtf are you talking about? a ts808 for metal?
Quote by Arlabester

i didn't think so haha
The Ultra Metal by Behringer is an amazing pedal, I bought it for 23 euros when I was in France but you can buy them for £15 in the UK off GAK

Its an awesome pedal, I cant turn the distortion up to full on my SG cus its so heavy, it just becomes a noise lol Its also very quiet compared to a lot of the distortion pedals ive tried.
im highly against getting a distortion pedal if you already have a tube amp imo, all you need is to boost your amp's gain to add more saturation to your tone and push the tubes harder. So i guess tubescreamer would be a good choice. If the normal TS9 doesnt have enough gain, get the DX or TS7 series, they have a hot switch.
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
Quote by Arlabester

maybe hes talking about boosting
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

push those preamp tubes and poweramp tubes!!!
they'll get u there!!! all u need is some clean gain boost pedals!!!
BBE Boosta Grande, or the MXR M133 Micro Amp will be a good choice.
very good stuff. Play LOUD!!! =]
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I agree with the TS-808.

And if you want a Foo Fighers like distortion, look at some of the Vox Cooltron pedals.
Sent from my iPad.
Quote by mothership
maybe hes talking about boosting

Yeah, I don't see what's wrong with that.
Quote by Arlabester
but it sounds ew on a SS.

The Thread starter is using a VK...
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Last edited by aznrockerdude at Mar 24, 2007,
Quote by ECistheBest
they'll get u there!!! all u need is some clean gain boost pedals!!! BBE Boosta Grande, or the MXR M133 Micro Amp will be a good choice.
very good stuff. Play LOUD!!! =]

Overdrive pedals work better compared to those clean boost pedals imo, since he'll be wanting a tad of dirt to his tone, not just a clean volume boost which adds just a tad of drive.
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
3 words: Big Muff.
Guitars:
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass
Martin DX1

Amps:
Peavey Classic 50/212

Pedal Board:
Gator 8-Bus
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Digitech Bad Monkey
Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger
ISP Decimator
Dual button footswitch
You don't need a distortion pedal, at least not one of those sill yfizzy boxes with "metal" in the name. You need something to shape and possibly boost your amps distortion channel. First thing to invest in is an EQ pedal, that will make an incredible difference to the control yoyu've got over the tone. Secondly you need something that's going to augment your amps distortion....that's if the EQ doesn't sort things out for you. Chances are an overdrive pedal will do the trick, but if an OD won't get things dirty enough then something as simple as a DS1 may do the trick, otherwise look at pedals like the Rat or the aforementioned Big Muff, or Metal Muff. It all depends on the kind of sound you want really, but the EQ pedal is essential.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
^He makes a good point, listen to him.
Quote by TehNez
3 words: Big Muff.

But that's only two words
Sent from my iPad.
It's easy to get confused over what it is you're looking for...more often than not people don't actually want more distortion, it's siomply the voicing that's wrong for them. If you have emphasis on the lower midrange and less high end you'll get a woolier, more vintage type sound, emphasise the upper mids and you can get razor-sharp more contemporary rhythm tones. Usually a typical 3-band amp EQ just doesn't cut it, even a presence control doesn't always help, and often it just confuses the issue. Even a cheap 7-band EQ gives you far more control over the "shape" of your sound, you can make what you thought was a fairly vintage sounding amp sound far more modern and vice versa.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com