Poll: What's your dominant hand?
Poll Options
View poll results: What's your dominant hand?
Left
60 31%
Right
103 54%
Ambidextrous
28 15%
Voters: 191.
Page 1 of 2
I don't know if any of you have ever heard people say this but one of my teachers today said that left handed people are generally more creative. I have also heard alot of other people say the same thing? Is there any studies that have researched this? Do you guys believe that? I am left handed btw and I don't think I am more creative than the average person.
Every left handed person I have met so far has been a dumbass, so I don't know!
it's not that they are more creative it's just that they use the opposite hemisphere of their brain to do most of their thinking. thus their thought processes are slightly different making them seem more creative
Lefties are more creative. It's not a myth, they are able to access more creative parts of the brain more easily. Plus, we have it a lot easier when it comes to playing the guitar
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Lefties are more creative. It's not a myth, they are able to access more creative parts of the brain more easily. Plus, we have it a lot easier when it comes to playing the guitar

easier? i don't see how having less co-ordination in the picking hand is an "advantage" as such. i play right handed just because its easier to find guitars, but i'm left handed and wish i played lefty.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by garden of grey
ambi

Normal guitar, write with left hand.

Can do vice versa but not as well.

EDIT:

Sounds like people are full of shit.

Something like 1 in 10 = lefty, 1 in 70 = ambi

Why does lefty + ambi = righties total in the poll? suspicious

Yeah 1 in 10= lefty but this is a guitar website, not an equal demographic.

This proves what I was saying. The people here are musicians, therefore more creative, therefore more likely to be of the superior hand preference (leftie )
Nah, they aren't more creative, hand dominance has little to do with it. As someone said, they just use a different part of their brain. A different approach to creativity doesn't necessarily indicate more creativity.

Left-handed people are more likely to get into car accidents, I've heard.
When crying don't help
You can't compose yourself
It's best to compose a poem
An honest verse of longing
Or a simple song of hope...
eh, I'm left handed, yeah, I'm probably more creative than everyone in the world

... no, that sounds absolutely stupid, hand dominance related to creativity... maybe, but I doubt it
Gear:
Ibanez JS100
03 Squier Strat
1980 Ovation Matrix Accoustic
Peavey Valveking 112
Washburn T-14 Taurus (Bass)
SWR Working Pro 100 watt bass amp
*Insert joke at Herman Li's expense*

I dunno, the only lefty I know was my teacher last year, and he's stupid as hell.
Quote by Allnightmask22
Left-handed people are more likely to get into car accidents, I've heard.

probably the reason i instinctively choose not to drive lol.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

Quote by Blompcube
easier? i don't see how having less co-ordination in the picking hand is an "advantage" as such. i play right handed just because its easier to find guitars, but i'm left handed and wish i played lefty.

When i picked up a guitar, i was given both left and right handed in a shop to see which i took to better. Everyone finds their co-ordination a bit funny at first.

That's not what I was getting at though. I meant, you use your left hand's fingers for fretting. Lefties have been using these for picking things up and writing and stuff all their lives, so have stronger fingers already and need less work on legato and so on to get strong fingers.
In a lot of sports involving hands (so no, not football) left-handed people do have an advantage (around 50% of professional sportsmen is left-handed). But creativity? Never heard of it before.
It could perhaps be possible, considering the right side of the brains of a left-handed person is dominating the left side, instead of the other way around. If the right side has some kind of 'creativity-element' in it.....

But I didn't study biology or something so I could be wrong.
lefties bein more creative is bullshit. Most great guitarists are right handed Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, Joe Satriani. Exception is Jimi Hendrix
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
When i picked up a guitar, i was given both left and right handed in a shop to see which i took to better. Everyone finds their co-ordination a bit funny at first.

That's not what I was getting at though. I meant, you use your left hand's fingers for fretting. Lefties have been using these for picking things up and writing and stuff all their lives, so have stronger fingers already and need less work on legato and so on to get strong fingers.

yes but picking is more important and while i'm okay at it i want to be better but it's physically impossible for me... (and i've been playing for 10 years... hardly "at first" lol)

I think all the left handers on the forum (myself included) saw the words 'left handed' and were suddenly interested and compelled to vote.

EDIT: Gary Moore and BB King are lefties who play righty as well. I play leftie myself though.
Member of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

Last.fm
Last edited by flambe chicken at Mar 22, 2007,
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Yeah I do agree with you, I'm not the fastest either... Why is that physically impossible for you?

you'd have thought i'd have gained near perfect co-ordination from picking with my right hand after 10 years, but no

Im left handed and (even though I say it myself) I am very good at drawing, painting, and songwriting.

VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Well, if someone feels comfortable using one hand that the majority doesn't, it's obviously something from up there - the brain. If their brain is somewhat different, why can't they be better somehow?

I think it's BS, though.
Quote by rabidguitarist
Im left handed and (even though I say it myself) I am very good at drawing, painting, and songwriting.

yeah i can draw pretty well too (not on computers but hey)

I'm left handed, all I remember having read about this is that left handed people die an average of ~9 years younger than right handed people, which is likely absolute bunk anyway.
science has showed the right side of the brain controls the left half of your body and vice-versa.... the right side has more of the creative aspects of life generally focused in it, therefore that side of the brain is slightlly more dominant, generally making lefties more creative.... or so it sounds in theory (ambidexterous people like me; i really don't know how it works for us, the above is just what i've heard)
Quote by Blompcube
you'd have thought i'd have gained near perfect co-ordination from picking with my right hand after 10 years, but no

So you miss out on a bit of speed, but in return you are better at songwriting and composition.... A fair trade, I'd say
The left side of the brain is associated with Concrete Sequential thought patterns. That is, the left side of the brain is more in charge of things like mathematics and science. Since our brains are kind of "crosswired", the left hemisphere of the brain controls the right hand. The right side of the brain, however, is the Abstract Random part of the brain and is in charge of left hand movement. This leads to the thought that left handed people are more creative: their handedness is associated with the area of the brain that is associated with creative thought. I'm not if any studies have been done about this so you'll just have to take my word for it until someone finds some proof for or against what I've heard.
Rig

Jackson DK2M -> ISP Decimator -> Peavey 6505 Combo
im ambidextrous i play guitar right handed i write left handed i text right handed i hold the phone to my ear left handed i hold my knife and fork same as a righty would brush my teeth left handed. i use em both as much
NO ONES GONNA TAKE ME ALIVE
THE TIME HAS COME TO MAKE THINGS RIGHT
People just say that because everyone else hates lefties
Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

You're a lefty too? This explains the special bond between us

I've heard alot about lefty's being more creative and stuff, aswell as lefty's having a brain deformatoin (mostly coming from jealous rightys).

I'm left-handed anyways and I think I'm very creative.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
I'm a leftie but I play right so I just put left
(I dont know what I am!!! )

and yeah I've heard that too and I hope it's true
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
You can't prove that people DON'T walk on water. turn water into wine etc.
Last edited by GnR_ROK at Mar 22, 2007,
I play snooker left-handed But that's about it
Quote by DUP3R
I like my women like I like my Pop-tarts : dipped in blood and covered in a gay man's feces.

This sig was too fucking big. Make it smaller next time, chief.
I fail to see what hand dominance has to do with brain side dominance

If someone would care to show me the study where they linked the two?
im ambi.
i play chords and bar chords and picking and such better left handed but
i can seem to get down my power chords very well left handed,
but on a right handed guitar i do power chords very well.

plus regular day writing and things i can do both.
i write with right hand
i play hockey, golf, baseball (batting), and all other sports involving a two handed stick lefty
i play all other sports rightie
i play guitar rightie

so i guess im a righty
Focked up hockey player hands represent

It's really weird how righties tend to shoot left eh?
Until they can measure creativity quantitatively, there won't be an answer to this question.
If you would for a moment, imagine your body as just you're nervous system.

Every thing goes from the brain to the spinal cord, and branches out to all the parts of your body. For the electrical impulses to get from your brain to the left side of your body, it's faster to go from the right side of your brain, so the signal can go in a straight line through the spinal cord to the desired area of action, rather than going from the brain to the spinal cord, then going back to the same side of the body. This is why people that are left handed use more of the right side of their brain. There's the link between the two for those who don't get it.

And for those who are bound to say, "well going frum teh right side of teh brane to the right side uvv the bodie wouldnt make a differance n00b." Well, as fast as the impulses are, having the signals cut back to the same side could mean the difference of blocking a punch or getting knocked in the face (that's the first example I could think of).

And the whole creativity thing, my art teacher told me that there were some observations of young kids or something, drawing a picture. The ones who were right handed (using the left side of the brain that would be), usually ended up drawing a sun in the top corner, something most people might do, whereas a left-hander (right side of the brain) usually didn't draw a sun up in the corner, as they saw it was unnecessary to draw a sun to show that it was day. That's where the left side of the brain being more literal, using objects to define things, while the right side of the brain is, like someone said, more abstract and doesn't need, well, like a definition (I don't know how to word it) to know that something is there, like say daylight. And that's where the creative thing comes in and blahdy blahdy blah.

Obviously, not everyone is the same, and right-handed people could be creative too. I think what the people are saying is that it's more likely that a left handed person would be more creative, using the right side of the brain.

My apologies for the long post. But I think it's somewhat helpful.
Page 1 of 2