All you electronics experts out there, how would I go about wiring a combination of active and passive pickups in one guitar in a H(active)-S(passive)-H(active) combination? Please don't say, just don't get the active ones or just don't get the passive one, because I want to be able to do it this way.

Thanks
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Because of their impendance differences, you would have to put the active and passive pickups in different circuits. They cannot work together properly.

You would need 2 sets of controls: one for active and one for passive. You would also need a 3 way switch that selects one of the three inputs. NOT the kind yo find on gibson-type guitars. You can have them share a jack.

So you connect each pickup through it's set of pots (both active pickups into the same ones to save knobs. You'd need 6 otherwise). Then connect those into the switch, which outputs to the jack.

Sorry, I'm not electronics pro, but that would work. You'd need a lot of knobs, though.
I'd only need four, one master tone & master volume for actives, one master tone & master volume for passive and wouldn't i be able to use the 5 way switch i already have?

Edit: I guess that way i could have a killswitch too...

plus would i be able to mix the two pickup types?

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Are you sure the pups are active and not just use a onboard pre-amp?

Okay, as shashki says you will not be able to have a position that uses both active and passive pups.

I think something like this

I have no idea what I'm talking about. Don't belive me.
Quote by mcw00t
I'd only need four, one master tone & master volume for actives, one master tone & master volume for passive and wouldn't i be able to use the 5 way switch i already have?

Edit: I guess that way i could have a killswitch too...

plus would i be able to mix the two pickup types?

I repeat, they cannot work together due to impendance differences.

No. You won't be able to use your 5-way.

You can have 2 twoway switches: one switches between the neck and bridge humbuckers, and another switches between active and passive.
Last edited by sashki at Mar 22, 2007,
A question, what knobs/switches do you want? My guess for HSH were the single coil is passive is:

2-way switch to switch between passive/active pups
Passive master volume
Passive master tone
Passive three way

Active master volume
active master tone

and a single jack

am I correct?
I know they have impedance differences, however, isn't there a single way of getting around it? like using a follower on both outputs? that would match the impedance of both pickups...

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
A question, what knobs/switches do you want?

5 way switch, usual config

Separate pots if needed

Single jack

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by mcw00t
5 way switch, usual config

Separate pots if needed

Single jack

If I remember correctly you can't use a 5 way switch like that, because positions 2 and 4 will be dead, and it can damage your amp when you're changing pickup.

I might be wrong though... =\
Last edited by Dobzilla at Mar 22, 2007,
That's why i suggested putting a follower on the output of the pickups, that way, all of the impedances would be identical...useful little tool in electronics but i'm not sure of where i'd get the split level supply from...

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
No, there is NO way to get around it.

I have made a schematic however. It's quite a mess...

edit: down for a better diagram
Last edited by m_hedborg at Mar 22, 2007,
Thanks, if the way I'm thinking fails i'll be sure to use that if I'm still set on mixing active and passive!

But I'm still convinced that it would be possible to use an Op-Amp follower to impedance match the outputs from the pickups, it would create equal output impedances from the pickups, because they're both just following from the op-amp output, this is a way of overcoming input/output impedances in other electronic applications, i don't see why it wouldn't work here...

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
You could simply the switch by having the pickups go to the volume and tone controls before the switch, that way you could use a DPDT switch instead of a 3PDT.
            ground[1][4]to switch
passive hot output[2][5]active hot pickup
         to switch[3][6]ground

That ought to work.

EDIT #1: Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure that you can mix the actives and passives if the pots are seperate. 25k pots for active, and 250K/500K/1Meg pots for the passives, then going to the output.

EDIT #2: Fixed the diagram.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Last edited by Will_Minus at Mar 22, 2007,
yeah, but then i'd end up having to have two hot wires connected to the output which generally tends to not be good.

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX

made another, cleaner diagram.
Cheers, i'll speak to one of the electronics whizzes at my school about my method, if it can't be done, then i'll use that diag, but i'm not overkeen on not having the versitility of the 5 way =S i dunno, i'm sure i'll come up with something, probably DiMarzio or EMG all round in the end! Just wanted to know if it was possible/how hard it would be.

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Hmm, so if I put a mini emg in my strat the wiring will be funky?

This is kinda confusing...
My setup specs:

Guitars: Fender 50's stratocaster
Old jr accoustic crap guitar.

Amp: Roland cube 20x (Going to probably be traded in for a blues jr soon though.)

Effects: Dunlop gcb-95 wah
Boss dd-6 delay
Quote by mcw00t
yeah, but then i'd end up having to have two hot wires connected to the output which generally tends to not be good.

No you wouldn't. I may have have funked up the diagram though... Infact, I think I did. I'll fix it. Look at my origional post, I'll edit it to something that will work.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club