i just wanted to know how to right a metal riff or a trivium-like riff on guitar?

like both rythm and lead
Learn theory. Know which notes sound good together, otherwise known as scales.
It's difficult to win unless you're bored.
i am no the best person to create a riff, for me it starts in my head, then i pick my guitar and play it on guitar, after playin the riff few times i think of ways to imporve it ( make it faster,slower, play it in a different key) but thats me am not the greatest guitarist of all time. i am sure different people use different techniques.
for me personally, i just jam until i play something that just "clicks" and i say to myself, i say.... "self that was a most righteous and monolithic guitar riff you just played. the metal gods are proud, remember that riff for it will serve you well"
Take a riff you know, shift it up a few frets and add/change/take away a few notes.

This is the crudest way to do it, another way would be just to mess around for a bit and then see what sounds cool.
Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.
you probably do play rhythm and lead but riffs are rhythm only

for trivium, metallica like riffs down pick while palm muting the lowest string. this is chugging

while doing this play some power chords every, say, 4 chugs:

^^^ Just NO Metallinutter, just NO
Ibanez S520
Yamaha Pacifica 112 with JB.Jr Neck pickup
Ibanez Custom Blazer
Peavey Bandit 112, Marshall Valvestate 20
Marshall Jackhammer, Zoom 505 effects, Boss ME-50
Boss Pw 10 V Wah
Dunlop 1.5mm Picks, D'addario standard Strings
Quote by notoriousnumber
Take a riff you know, shift it up a few frets and add/change/take away a few notes.

This is the crudest way to do it, another way would be just to mess around for a bit and then see what sounds cool.

i don't really recommend this as often times it will still sound like you're trying to ripoff whatever riff you're changing up. you can try it, but i just don't recommend it.

edit: however the messing around bit works well. i recommend, just playing, without trying to make a specific sound / song. if you're really influenced by a certain sound it will really come through as long as you have the technical know how of how to do it.
Quote by metallinutter
you probably do play rhythm and lead but riffs are rhythm only

for trivium, metallica like riffs down pick while palm muting the lowest string. this is chugging

while doing this play some power chords every, say, 4 chugs:

Yeah every fourth "chug" is on the fourth one, not fifth, That would be in 5/4 if you really wanted that.
Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.