Title says it all.
Got an assignment at school, some film music thingy, starts off with everything calm in a forest, then the heroes come in etc..

I know what im doing for the rest of it but the opening forest part really has me stuck.
Any scales that sound (even remotely) like they could be played by some old hermit in the woods?
People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. They will believe a lie because they want to believe it’s true, or because they are afraid it might be true
Quote by Richard Rahl
Title says it all.
Got an assignment at school, some film music thingy, starts off with everything calm in a forest, then the heroes come in etc..

I know what im doing for the rest of it but the opening forest part really has me stuck.
Any scales that sound (even remotely) like they could be played by some old hermit in the woods?

i dont know about scales, but why not steal something from robin hood? the kevin kosner film has some foresty tunes.
ummmm i got an idea.... if possible, find out what will be happening in said forest.... is someone just walking through it? is it just footage of a landscape? is there a person being beaten to death? then just translate how that makes you feel into music.... write the music to fit the scene/scenario as i believe that is what is being asked of you.
i'm doing this too

i'm sorta stuck as well, mines pretty much just in major to begin with then goes minor... with a bunch of discords. i got tribal drums and stuff going on as well for the wierd foresty bits
if everything had a point you'd have to be really careful of pointy things
I'd use the mixolydian mode if I had to stick to scales.

I find that simply thinking about the feeling you want, and then just using everything at your disposal to create that feeling gives you more of a creative edge. Try not thinking about theory at all and just play some notes to see how they sound.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
lol, I tried doing this a while ago.

I ended up with a lot of chords with extensions and augmented chords, not so much scales.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Quote by z4twenny
ummmm i got an idea.... if possible, find out what will be happening in said forest.... is someone just walking through it? is it just footage of a landscape? is there a person being beaten to death? then just translate how that makes you feel into music.... write the music to fit the scene/scenario as i believe that is what is being asked of you.

Well to start with we have our heroes having a nice stroll through the woods, then when they reach a clearing some robed figures emerge from the trees, then after some tension and whatnot we find out they are friends, so it's back to the more upbeat stuff.

For the beginning it's sort of like your typical fantasy landscape thing. Think about The Fellowship of the Ring. When the dudes are walking about over the countryside and the music kicks in and gives it that epic feel. Thats what we need to portray, I think. Not epic, but something, foresty

Good idea about the Robin Hood thing
Thanks fellers
People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. They will believe a lie because they want to believe it’s true, or because they are afraid it might be true
Harmonic Minor, Locrian, Dominant Diminished. Those will work for the darker parts.

But is it happy forest or dark forest?

If happy, Mixolydian might work. Maybe even Lydian. Epic, hmmm... just majorish?

But really, it all comes down to the tone and the phrasing.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
i'd personally use Lydian, for a couple reasons.

One reason is because it is a relaxing-sounding scale if used in the right way. Im sure you dont want anything real intense.

Another reason is because, well, long ago, the standard scales instruments were made to play easily were based on the lydian scale. Dealing with mythology (heroes and such), these usually relate to the far past, and i think it would suit it well.
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

just a suggestion here, the term "epic" is more of a production/arrangement effect than really the way a song is written. i could write a piece on an acoustic and not have it sound epic, then take and record it with different voicings, a 64 piece orchestra and alter the volume (crescendos etc) and make it sound super epic, keep that in mind. as for the scales used. for the non harrowing parts i would recommend major-ish type scales such as major and mixolydian. for the parts reqiuring tension the minor scale and diminished scales are recommended. they just typically tend to lend themselves to that style of sound.