Pretty much as title says.
I'm looking for extreme gain but very clear notes, for stuff as extreme as tech death.
I also love Opeth so I'd like to be able to pull off clean and accoustic interludes nicely like they do through out their songs..

Other amps I should check out but haven't had a chance are Peavey XXX & Peavey JSX but i'm not sure if i'll be able to afford.. hm
Opinions?
engl fireball definately
My stuff:
ESP LTD KH 202 w/ emg 81's
PEAVEY 5150 II Head
4x12 MESA BOOGIE RECTIFIER CAB

A recent study shows that 92% of all teens have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music.
fireball can get the death metal tones easily and I think its the best amp you mentioned. there are great soundclips at rocksolidamps so check them out if you havent. i think necrophagist uses Engl amps so the fireball can get you something close. btw, opeth rules!
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce
Quote by kanamvar32
fireball can get the death metal tones easily and I think its the best amp you mentioned. there are great soundclips at rocksolidamps so check them out if you havent. i think necrophagist uses Engl amps so the fireball can get you something close. btw, opeth rules!

Yup they do, was at front row RIGHT infront of Muhammad at one of their shows a couple of weeks ago absolute amazing.
I'm going to the shop tomorrow to have another go at amps but the Fireball definitely sounded the business last time I was there
fireball will be fine, XXX will work, but cleans are meh, JSX isnt heavy enough, but clens are great
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
NO powerball is better i think but the fireball is very nice
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
the more i listen to the powerball the worse i think it is. my fav amp for the money engl makes is the blackmore. its very versatile and can get real high gain metal tones. fireball sounds really damn good for metal tho and isnt that expensive. the genz benz is nice but i found it to hiss a lot. even when the volume was low the thing would make so much unnecessary noise.
Gibson SG Special
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head

Quote by CyanideChris
Yup they do, was at front row RIGHT infront of Muhammad at one of their shows a couple of weeks ago absolute amazing.
I'm going to the shop tomorrow to have another go at amps but the Fireball definitely sounded the business last time I was there

sweet i want to go to one of their shows
Gibson SG Special
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head

Quote by kanamvar32
the more i listen to the powerball the worse i think it is. my fav amp for the money engl makes is the blackmore. its very versatile and can get real high gain metal tones. fireball sounds really damn good for metal tho and isnt that expensive. the genz benz is nice but i found it to hiss a lot. even when the volume was low the thing would make so much unnecessary noise.

Do you actually play one, hear one often etc? or do you just listen to the same soundclips over and over? I can't honestly say the Blackmore is any better than the Powerball, they're relatively the same price... The powerball is definitely more versitile, though. the extra EQ can't be beat. Powerball has more gain, an extra channel not to mention a bright switch and bass switches for channels 1+2, 3 and 4...

If anything its just a difference in taste, definitely not value.

Quote by Anathaema
Do you know which model he (muhammed) uses?

Muhammed uses the ENGL 670, or the SE, their flagship amplifier. He's used a rack setup with an ENGL Preamp in the past, too. I've seen him live with a Savage 120 as well.

I definitely like other ENGL more than I like the SE, as the SE seems to be alot rounder and less edgy. Like its got less balls.

Also: I'd stay away from the Genz Benz, they just aren't made for technical death metal style imo. They're alright amps, but definitely not something I'd want to use like playing something like that.
Last edited by xxgenocide98xx at Mar 23, 2007,
If u want a really good versatile amp Engl Powerball is sick (i have one) its expensive tho. My buddy has a 5150 and honestly thats all u could ever want and for the money u cant beat it at all.