Page 1 of 2
im personally a huge fan of them but i just wanted to guage an opinion on what everyone else thinks of them
I've loved "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots" for years and I just picked up "Finally the Punk Rockers Are Taking Acid." Hoping for the best.
Ibanez SR-500
Schecter C1 Blackjack
Ibanez GSR200
Classical acoustic

G&K Backline 600 + Goldline 210GLX cab
Vox AD30VT
Crate G40C XL
Crate BT15
EH Metal Muff
Digitech Grunge
Danelectro Fab Overdrive
M-Audio Ozonic
Tascam M-308
they are awesome
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
Well, I heard Beck play a cover of Do You Realize (to a crowd of many thousands of people), and it was absolutely beautiful.
Finally got a copy of 'Zaireeka' a couple of weeks ago and everytime I go in my room it's staring at me wanting to be played, but I can't find four (movable & working) CD players in my house to get it set up. Driving me mad.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
My favorite song from the band is Fight Test. I just love it...
Quote by andrewbiles
Finally got a copy of 'Zaireeka' a couple of weeks ago and everytime I go in my room it's staring at me wanting to be played, but I can't find four (movable & working) CD players in my house to get it set up. Driving me mad.

You can do what I did: Rip all 4 CDs and import them into whatever recording software and make yourself a copy of Zaireeka all on one disc. I love listening to them all on separate things but for ipod use, I have my self-made compiled version.

The Flaming Lips rock. They are amazing live. They have a lot of great material. I'm having a hard time finding all of their older stuff though.
I just recently went on a Flaming Lips binge again. I love their music.

'Do You Realize??' has probably some of the best lyrics I have ever heard, not to mention its a beautiful song.
I've got Yoshimi Battles the pink robots and have heard some other stuff and my conclusion is i love them and i must see them live.
I love them. They're one of those bands that, like Fugazi, gets progressively better with each album.
Wade in the water, child.
They're really good. Zaireeka is brilliant, although I only heard it 'properly' once. Yoshimi and The Soft Bulletin are both good as well. I need to look at their earlier stuff.

At War with the Mystics was really really bad though.
Fender F-25 / Yamaha Pacifica 112 / Cort MR-710F 12-string
Last.fm
Weird, I dug out my Yoshimi Battles the pink robots a few days ago.

Love that album.
Tears in waves, minds on fire
Nights alone by your side
Quote by DorkusMalorkus
You can do what I did: Rip all 4 CDs and import them into whatever recording software and make yourself a copy of Zaireeka all on one disc. I love listening to them all on separate things but for ipod use, I have my self-made compiled version.

The Flaming Lips rock. They are amazing live. They have a lot of great material. I'm having a hard time finding all of their older stuff though.

I'll probably end up doing that, but it half defeats the purpose of having the four CDs. Isn't it meant to be a bit of a surround sound experience as well? And apparently part of the fun of it is that the CDs fall a little out of sync and make up your own version.
That's what I've always understood it as anyway.

What old stuff are you looking for?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Quote by andrewbiles
I'll probably end up doing that, but it half defeats the purpose of having the four CDs. Isn't it meant to be a bit of a surround sound experience as well? And apparently part of the fun of it is that the CDs fall a little out of sync and make up your own version.
That's what I've always understood it as anyway.
Yeah, that is how it is originally meant to be done and I do that too (when I can). But when I can't (or don't want to do through the process) and I want to listen to a particular song, I have them all there waiting for me.
Quote by andrewbiles
What old stuff are you looking for?

In a Priest Driven Ambulance, Hear It Is, Oh My Gawd...

I can't find them in stores.
^ Even on amazon they're pretty expensive, so good luck with that.

Understandable about the Zaireeka thing then. I've seen a German bootleg vinyl floating about on ebay in the past that has put all of the discs together.

RateYourMusic
Yeah, I think I remember checking those CDs out on Amazon and being put off by the prices.

I floated around on the Flaming Lips message board a few times. If I remember correctly, they are working on a single-disc 5.1 sound version of Zaireeka (possibly with a DVD), which I think would be pretty cool.
Quote by yawn
Well, I heard Beck play a cover of Do You Realize (to a crowd of many thousands of people), and it was absolutely beautiful.

aww man you're lucky! i would shoot my cat to see that

i once loved yoshimi battles the pink robots but i've cheated on it with clouds taste metallic. i still love them
the heart is a risky fuel to burn
Quote by Doolittle
aww man you're lucky! i would shoot my cat to see that
It was an extremely beautiful moment.

It had been an all-day concert, with a bunch of different bands, and now it was night time, Beck playing a relaxed set, and - with this particular song - thousands of blue cellphone lights could be seen adorning the seats and field.
These guys are amazing!!!!!!!
I cant get enough of them. I almost bought the biography on them a few weeks ago, but it was $32, i only had $25. Oh well. I really want Zaireeka and Finally The Punk Rockers are taking Acid!! They just cost a lot for a guy with no job !!
I wanna hear some of their early stuff too. I'm into that experimental style at the moment.
If im every down, they get me up
Quote by DorkusMalorkus
I've noticed that you are all going crazy over Yoshimi. It is a good solid album, but the Soft Bulletin kicks its ass, quite frankly.
Sounds like a bully to me. I scorn violence
Quote by DorkusMalorkus
Still an amazing CD. Just listen to Race For the Prize and you won't want to stop.
I don't know if I want to subject myself to that kind of self-imposed suffering :-/
I would love to see them live, there live shows look like a real event.
Tears in waves, minds on fire
Nights alone by your side
Quote by DorkusMalorkus
Still an amazing CD. Just listen to Race For the Prize and you won't want to stop.

That song is weak.. Go listen to When You Smile
Quote by sponj
That song is weak.. Go listen to When You Smile

Wrong. It makes me want to get up and jump around like one of the dancing Santas or Martians in their live shows. Speaking of which.
Quote by fronkpies
I would love to see them live, there live shows look like a real event.
It is fantastic! Go next opportunity you have. You won't regret it.

Santas and Martians rule but that song doesn't have the true Flaming power!
Quote by sponj
Santas and Martians rule but that song doesn't have the true Flaming power!

Does, 'Do You Realize??' I really feel flaming when I listen to that song.

Not flaming, you know, flaming.
I've never understood the attention 'Yoshimi...' got. Not my kind of Lips album, I much prefer the slightly older material ('Clouds...' and 'Transmissions...' era). The most recent album was really good as well though.

RateYourMusic
Quote by andrewbiles
I've never understood the attention 'Yoshimi...' got. Not my kind of Lips album, I much prefer the slightly older material ('Clouds...' and 'Transmissions...' era). The most recent album was really good as well though.

Personally, I think that their stuff with Steven Drozd is the best. Transmissions and up is my favorite stuff from them. Hit To Death has some great tracks, but I don't find myself listening to them as much.
I've only heard the (pre-Drozd) stuff that's on 'the day they shot a hole in the jesus egg' and based on that, I have to agree with you. There are good tracks on that (loved their version of 'she's gone mad'), but they did improve in the 90s when Steven joined definitely.

RateYourMusic
Quote by yawn
My favorite song from the band is Fight Test. I just love it...

Yeah, I been listening to that a lot.

Funny how he didn't realise it sounded like Father & Son by Cat Stevens though.
Page 1 of 2