Page 1 of 2
With the new album due for release and the jolly good single also out next month, I thought it only right to start some discussion about one of my favourite, and probably one of the best, bands in this country.

For anyone wishing to hear the single, you can see the video here.

There's also a radio set with some stuff from the new album that they did over in America whilst at SXSW. To be honest, it sounds a little different but still very good. A bit less of the computer drumming I think and more piano, but I've only had time to listen to bits and pieces so far. Really looking forward to this album.

Radio set is here. Scroll down and click on the name.

So...thoughts?
the new singles is great but sounded a lot like something from a good post rock band..

edit: nevermind. it's them allright
the heart is a risky fuel to burn
they get old fast for me, but i didn't know they had a new album on the way. i'll have to check it out.
Quote by kryptonite22

There's also a radio set with some stuff from the new album that they did over in America whilst at SXSW. To be honest, it sounds a little different but still very good. A bit less of the computer drumming I think and more piano, but I've only had time to listen to bits and pieces so far. Really looking forward to this album.

I fucking hate this band.

You know why?

Because I would have heard those songs live at SXSW, but alas, it was a 21+ show.

No matter right?
It's just one of those tough unfair things in life you get over.

But wait, aside from this one solitary showcase, 65daysofstatic decided to not be dumb and waste this one whole week in America by only playing one show.
No, that would be such a waste of a trip to come to America to only play one show, which is why they decided to play another one. Yes, one more! (Which brings in a grand total of two shows for the whole week!)

Oh snap, and even better, this show would be free!
So I walk about 2 and half miles to the venue they would be playing at to see what time they got on because this free show conveniently didn't give any notice of which bands were playing at what time.
I ask the guy heading the whole thing what time 65 comes on. He says 6 p.m.
Cool, that means I have around four hours to see other cool bands.
I come back early and wait for 65.
It's 5 'till and some three girls with a bunch of synths are getting ready to play.
I check the schedule, it has 65 crossed out with a time of 6:25 written next to it.
"Oh, so they're playing at 6:25?" I ask.
The same guy whole told me they play at 6 says..
"Oh yeah, sorry, they already played at 3, yeah, they got here late, and it was all messed up so yeah, sorry man, but yeah they already played. Sorry."

Probably the emptiest 'sorry's I've ever heard in my life.
I wanted to cry but..
I didn't.

So yeah, I foolishly hate the band. Even though I love their music.

So I walk about 2 and half miles to the venue they would be playing at to see what time they got on because this free show conveniently didn't give any notice of which bands were playing at what time.
It's 5 'till and some three girls with a bunch of synths are getting ready to play.
I check the schedule, it has 65 crossed out with a time of 6:25 written next to it.
"Oh yeah, sorry, they already played at 3, yeah, they got here late, and it was all messed up so yeah, sorry man, but yeah they already played. Sorry."

I wanted to cry but..
I didn't.

If that were me, I would have broke down in a corner sobbing. You are a true man, Dougie.

I personally love this band, I love their intense take on music and they play with so much emotion in their instruments. I have to get this new album.
I likes:

Quote by kryptonite22

For anyone wishing to hear the single, you can see the video here.

Not so much...

Radio set is here. Scroll down and click on the name.

Very much!

You know why?

Because I would have heard those songs live at SXSW, but alas, it was a 21+ show.

No matter right?
It's just one of those tough unfair things in life you get over.

But wait, aside from this one solitary showcase, 65daysofstatic decided to not be dumb and waste this one whole week in America by only playing one show.
No, that would be such a waste of a trip to come to America to only play one show, which is why they decided to play another one. Yes, one more! (Which brings in a grand total of two shows for the whole week!)

I wanted to cry but..
I didn't.

unlucky. theyre really really good live. i have seen them lots of times (theyre quite local for me) and they are always good and always make me want to go again.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
unlucky. theyre really really good live. i have seen them lots of times (theyre quite local for me) and they are always good and always make me want to go again.

Oh, well thanks for making me feel better.

I'm just kidding.
Sort of.
That does actually make me feel worse.
But nothing against you.

Oh yeah, btw, Destruction of Small Ideas leaked yesterday or something.
I haven't listened to it yet.
Will do though.

The new album is amazing. It's gonna blow everyone's socks off.

It's so much more piano driven and just brilliant. Can't wait to see them in February. It'll be my 4th time or something.
seeing them in may, only be my 2nd but should be my thrid seems as they didnt turn up to the last place i was meant to see them.
In random news, I'm moving to Switzerland. In awesome news, these guys are playing Zurich on 6th June. Yes, I'm going.
haha good timing then.

ive just hatched an evil plan that means i might be able to see 65 twice in may, two days apart and with another gig sandwiched in between. hope it comes together.
Yeah, so these guys are playing Cab/Vol (Tiny little club) in Edinburgh tomorrow night, and at £9 I don't see how I can afford to NOT go.

I've only heard Once Time For All Time and a few songs off of Fall Of Math, what else should I look for?
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
^arent we all running is the best song they have ever done. believe.

but yeah. you've hear enough probably. they never play stuff from stumble.stop.repeat anymore (which is a shame, it has some awesome tracks), and the new album isnt out yet.
Cheers.

Anyone know anything of Park Attack? They're the support.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
I love 65dos. Did you just say they're playing at Cab Vol tomorrow? Holy sh... I need to go.
Quote by Vixus
I love 65dos. Did you just say they're playing at Cab Vol tomorrow? Holy sh... I need to go.

Yeah man, they're playing Aberdeen, Glasgow and Edinburgh this weekend as part of some festival thingy.

See you there

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Quote by kryptonite22
haha good timing then.

ive just hatched an evil plan that means i might be able to see 65 twice in may, two days apart and with another gig sandwiched in between. hope it comes together.

may 13th - 65daysofstatic, nottingham rock city
may 14th - funeral for a friend, nottingham rock city
may 15th - 65daysofstatic - cardiff the point

woop woop
yeah, so they were great

Crowd reaction could have been far better, though. Only Retreat! Retreat! got them REALLY going.

I really enjoyed it, and told the bassist so when I met him in the toilets afterwards

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Quote by FrenchyFungus
yeah, so they were great

Crowd reaction could have been far better, though. Only Retreat! Retreat! got them REALLY going.

I really enjoyed it, and told the bassist so when I met him in the toilets afterwards

Do you tell him you enjoyed it before or after the toilet sex?

Retreat Retreat rules, but i much prefer, Drove Through Ghosts and Mean Low Water.
Quote by Draken
Do you tell him you enjoyed it before or after the toilet sex?

Retreat Retreat rules, but i much prefer, Drove Through Ghosts and Mean Low Water.

And during!

To be perfectly honest, they could have played those songs tonight and I wouldn't know.

The only ones I know they played are Retreat and Don't Go Down To Sorrow.

The shirt selection was kinda poor though, the one I wanted was only available in small

I got the grey one if anyone who cares sees...

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
did they open to drove through ghosts? i love that song, its such a great opener. i know you said you dont know it, but its the one that they probably only come out to about halfway through because the beginnings mostly computer/piano, then it explodes into the guitar part at the end.

really looking forward to seeing them. don't go down to sorrow has really, really, really grown on me. i liked it at first but it took a few listens to really hit me.
Quote by kryptonite22
did they open to drove through ghosts? i love that song, its such a great opener. i know you said you dont know it, but its the one that they probably only come out to about halfway through because the beginnings mostly computer/piano, then it explodes into the guitar part at the end.

really looking forward to seeing them. don't go down to sorrow has really, really, really grown on me. i liked it at first but it took a few listens to really hit me.

They came out before the song started, and were playing from the start of the song. Halfway throught the first song the guitarist moved onto piano if that helps.

Yeah, new song wasn't one of my favourites before last night, but it sounded sooooo good live

What sort of size venues are Rock City and The Point?

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Quote by FrenchyFungus
They came out before the song started, and were playing from the start of the song. Halfway throught the first song the guitarist moved onto piano if that helps.

Yeah, new song wasn't one of my favourites before last night, but it sounded sooooo good live

What sort of size venues are Rock City and The Point?

the point is a converted church, its a really nice venue actually. not sure about size, but its probably about the size of a university hall, the church itself is quite small but its a fairly big venue, id say the capacity must be a good few hundred. rock city i think is a little bigger. ive only been there once, and it was on a club night, but i remember it being quite big. lots of bars, a lowered dance floor, even a downstairs room for heavier stuff (on club nights).

not sure whether that sounds like drove through ghosts or not. it does have piano, mostly towards the end, but i dont tihnk theres much to play at the beginning. maybe its off the new record. i havent properly listened to every track yet.
65days will surely be playing at the downstairs room, i dont think they're big enough for a 1000+ venue, just yet.

might see you in notts rob
^i wouldnt have thought so, but then again, theyre going to be playing koko in london. madness.
Quote by FrenchyFungus
And during!

To be perfectly honest, they could have played those songs tonight and I wouldn't know.

The only ones I know they played are Retreat and Don't Go Down To Sorrow.

The shirt selection was kinda poor though, the one I wanted was only available in small

I got the grey one if anyone who cares sees...

Pics now!
Found the setlist:

When We Were Younger and Better
A Failsafe
Await Rescue
Don't Go Down To Sorrow
I Swallowed Hard, Like I Understood
Wax Futures
Radio Protector
Primer
65 Doesn't Understand You
The Distant & Mechanised Glow Of Eastern European Dance Parties
Retreat! Retreat!
These Things You Can't Unlearn

Encore:

Fix The Sky A Little
AOD

Apparently it was very similar at Glasgow too

EDIT:

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Last edited by FrenchyFungus at Apr 30, 2007,
i have the black 65 shirt with the eyeless girl on. it is quite nice.
****sake, just remembered how annoying they are when they do encores. seeing them do the whole LOL WERE GOING AWAY FOR 5 MINS LOZL act for a third time might get tiring
Quote by bobjewell87
65days will surely be playing at the downstairs room, i dont think they're big enough for a 1000+ venue, just yet.

might see you in notts rob
hey thats cool. im not sure where theyre playing, i assumed the upstairs room, although i reckon it might be a bit on the empty side. i saw them play barfly in cardiff which is probably a similar size to the downstairs room, so maybe. although i think theyre more well known now, so yeah. i dont know. the point in cardiff cant be much smaller than rock city, so either is possible i suppose.

EDIT: just looked at that setlist: no 'drove through ghosts to get here'?? i guess they were always going to play more new stuff though so its not surprising, i just love that song though. otherwise it looks like a good list.
Last edited by kryptonite22 at Apr 30, 2007,
notts gig: fantastic crowd, great atmosphere and everyone in good spirits. song seection could have been just a tad better i feel.

cardiff gig: better song selection, distant and mechanised got a un out, as did dont go down to sorrow and i swallowed hard. crowd were bollocks though. it was a bigger venue, and the lrger screen did the visuals more justice, but other than that the atmospeere was pretty rubbish. all of the bands seemed really pissed off with it tbh.
The Newcastle gig was really disappointing.

First I missed Rolo Tomassi This was due to the fact the ticket said doors at 7.30, so I turned up at 7.45 thinking by the time they've got everything set up and that and actually opened the doors Rolo Tomassi would come on. Nope. They'd already been on and played a half an hour set.

Then I had to stand through that bloody mediocre guy with the big beard who was absolutely pants.

Then 65 took the stage, started with 'When We Were Younger and Better', good start, but about 30 seconds into the song, the computer broke. Take 2, computer broke again. Take 3, computer broke again. 65 have now been on stage for 15 minutes and not played anything. They get the big beared guy back on and he tells some jokes which are rather amusing but quite frankly not what I paid £9 to see. After another 20 minutes 65 give it another shot, this time with a different song. Success. They play 6 songs and then the Academy decides it's time to finish for the club night (at 10.05).

Such a bloody waste of £9. I know it's circumstances beyond 65's control and I totally feel for them with all the technical difficulties, but just frustrating for me and everyone else who's paid good money to see them.

Hopefully next time will be better.
^ If that was before the Nottingham date, he said in Nottingham 'seriously thanks for coming down, everythings gone so wrong this week and tonight it didnt', so that might explain why the atmosphere was better. nothing wrong at cardiff though but the notts gig was far better.

i didnt like josh pearson much either. he was quite funny, more so in notts, but his songs really dragged on, he played about 3 songs on both occasions, mostly consisting of the same chords over and over again, and then when you think he's finished it carries on. ive heard worse but i did prefer the mirimar disaster, who supported both dates for me.
hey rob, sorry i wasnt at the nottingham date. i was doing boring work for a horrible exam
Page 1 of 2