I never really fully understood the function of a truss rod. it is to my understanding that you route out a groove in your neck and put in a truss rod. What does it clamp? Does one bolt go on to hold the headstock and the other go somewhere else? After you put this in I assume you put the fretboard over top.

Anyone explain? I know, geehum=nub, but I figure I should come to the best for the answers.
Once upon a time, you didn't exist.

SLAMARAMALAMABINGBONG - How To Play Guitar For Dummies
It adjusts the curvature of the guitar neck. Different string gauges exert different tensions on the neck and can make it bow up or down depending on the move (ex: from .09s to .12s)
This change creates intonation and fret buzz problems.
Fender 60th MIA Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Peavey JSX

Rockman Stereo Echo
Rockman Sustainor 200
2 Rockman 12-Band EQs
Rockman Stereo Chorus
RE-20 Space Echo
fulltone Clyde Standard wah

*No Advertising*
Does anyone have a diagram of a truss rod in the actual neck? I just want to see how I will put one in my guitar. It makes sense that it will keep it straight, I never really considered how much force strings actually do exert on the neck. Wouldn't it also keep the headstock on, as there is a lot of force exerted on the tuners pulling on the neck?
Once upon a time, you didn't exist.

SLAMARAMALAMABINGBONG - How To Play Guitar For Dummies
I would reccomend googling it. The truss rod is like a long bolt, a raise in tension would require you to tighten it to return your neck to normal.
Fender 60th MIA Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Peavey JSX

Rockman Stereo Echo
Rockman Sustainor 200
2 Rockman 12-Band EQs
Rockman Stereo Chorus
RE-20 Space Echo
fulltone Clyde Standard wah

*No Advertising*
If you check out my build thread, I just put one in today. It should hopefully make sense.

It doesn't hold the headstock on. But it helps keep it straight.

A truss rod is just dropped into a channel, which is then covered by the fingerboard. The forces exerted down on it from the fingerboard keep it from coming out. The truss rod fits firmly in the channel, but not so tight that you can't turn it, but not so loose that it bounces around.

Hope that made sense.
Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional

Member #9 of the Samnung Has Crabs Club , PM Powerhouse to join

Custom Build
^ +1
Fender 60th MIA Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Peavey JSX

Rockman Stereo Echo
Rockman Sustainor 200
2 Rockman 12-Band EQs
Rockman Stereo Chorus