I recently bought this morning a Boss NS-2 Noise Supressor. It has done a GREAT job so far, but I still am getting a little tiny bit of buzz. What do Threshold and Decay mean on the pedal? What do they do? What should they be set at so I get minimal buzz? Thanks.
honestly i have no idea i want one though. would you recommend to someone who plays <I> ALOT </I> of Trivium. like me. :]
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
Threshold all the way up is gonna cut the most noise, its basically how strong the gate is.
Decay is hard to explain but its kind of how long it takes to have the noise die out? Play around with it and youll see. Its all in the manual too.
It depends on where you have the pedal in your rig, but unless you have one in front of your amp, and also in your effects loop, you will still probably get a little bit of noise. Threshold can be set wherever. I have mine at about 1o'clock. Decay is the time it takes for the pedal to kick back in after you play a note. It turns back on faster when its turned all the way down, but that could take away from your sustain and hammerons and pulloffs. I have mine at about 9 o'clock though. It does a great job at killing pedal and guitar noise, but I havent put it in my amps effect loop yet to see how it does there.
Quote by KingDavid101
I recently bought this morning a Boss NS-2 Noise Supressor. It has done a GREAT job so far, but I still am getting a little tiny bit of buzz. What do Threshold and Decay mean on the pedal? What do they do? What should they be set at so I get minimal buzz? Thanks.

im sorry for this but ns-2 isnt that great. in fact, it sucks. yeah, it cuts noise but also eats your tone. i bought one the other week. actually i already knew that the ns-2 suck but i wanted to know how suck. so i bought a used one which is relatively cheap. tried it and it does sucks. and now im selling it on my local forum. try playing clean then you'll see what im talking about. try searching for the ns-2 here in UG for reviews of other people..
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

Ok, your logic is flawed.

It eats your tone on the clean channel, I know. But when will you have buzz on a clean channel? OD and other pedals create the buzz, so if they are off it makes no difference. And when you have OD pedals and a lot of gain on, it doesn't eat your tone at all. So, why would you use it on a clean channel?

And why the hell would you waste money if you say "you knew" it sucked? 85-100 bucks is a lot of money, and I think you are lying and just repeating what some reviewers say.
Quote by KingDavid101
Ok, your logic is flawed.

It eats your tone on the clean channel, I know. But when will you have buzz on a clean channel? OD and other pedals create the buzz, so if they are off it makes no difference. And when you have OD pedals and a lot of gain on, it doesn't eat your tone at all. So, why would you use it on a clean channel?

And why the hell would you waste money if you say "you knew" it sucked? 85-100 bucks is a lot of money, and I think you are lying and just repeating what some reviewers say.

i told you i bought used and cheap just to try it. its my money so back off. im not stupid to buy a brand new pedal if i already knew. i told you to play clean so youll here clearer on killing tone. it also eats distorted tone.
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!

Quote by Armchair Bronco

^^idiots

No it doesn't, I play with it all the time and the OD tone is not cut at all by it. Just clean, and even if you got it used, why would you so called "waste" money?
haha! noob....
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!

Quote by Armchair Bronco

^^idiots

Doesn't Malmsteen use NS-2? IIRC there's a video of him play testing one and it doesn't eat his tone, but kills the feedback.

I'm still getting a ISP Decimator if I ever need a noise gate though

Or is that a noise reducer >_>
Not only would it disrupt the fabric of time and space, but it would totally ruin the surprise!