The 5150 not be as great at low levels, but when it's cranked it'll sound way better. Plus, you'll have the capability to gig later on if you want to. You could get an attenuator, which lets you crank your amp at reasonable levels.
I've seen a guy around that's using a Mac Mini as his main effects processor. He triggers various VST plugins through his guitar via a Roland hex pickup. In fact, I don't even think he uses a traditional guitar amp. It's very inspiring stuff.
Well, if you're serious about playing the guitar, you most likely will be playing in gigs sometime soon, so get the 5150, it'll do you better in the long run.

But if you KNOW for a fact that you won't be playing gigs, then go get the computer thingy.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
id get a 5150 it sounds fine at low volumes and is sound way better than a processor unless you have a really high end PC.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Jinskee
Well, if you're serious about playing the guitar, you most likely will be playing in gigs sometime soon, so get the 5150, it'll do you better in the long run.

But if you KNOW for a fact that you won't be playing gigs, then go get the computer thingy.

The guy I saw had a Peavey classic 50/50 power amp going out to 2 4x12 cabs for stereo operation. But I agree with the fact that if you're not willing to go all out for a PC rig, it's not worth it. You'd have to have a dedicated PC, something with a great deal of processing power but small enough to pack in a rack, you'd have to invest in the software and the time to program everything. Then you'd have to set up a floor controller to send MIDI cc messages to the PC. It's a fantastic amount of work, but it's worth it for the flexibility. Since he was a working DJ, he had to interface his guitar sounds with that environment, so there was a lot of experimental tones and music going on. I'm a huge fan of soft-amp technology...digital can be increadible when done correctly.
really think how many times you will have the opportunity to crank the 5150. if you need it for home use, that means never. it actually might not be bad to go wiht the computer atleast for a while--you could probably run it through your home stereo system and have it sound good enough and you always have the option of headphone practice. using headphones and the aux in on my pod is still 90% of my practice time.
carvin sc90
seagull s6

microcube
rivera m60
pod xtl
ever tried guitar rig?

it's REAL fun to play around with, and it sounds pretty decent too.
works fine just using our guitar thru a line-box straight into your soundcards line-in and using regular hi-fi speakers.

it's something I'd recommend for you if you're playing around the house, maybe recording stuff too. the nicest thing is that you have every effect you could ever want, which can be controlled with a midi floorpedal. if you want to gig with it somewhere in the future you could run your computer to a poweramp and a regular cab also. you can't get any more flexible than that.

I'm sure there are a musicshop somewhere that would demo it to you.
^Guitar rig in also over pricded as I know. Of you like that vox tonelab then by all means get it! But seriously I would recomend checking it out and research it to the bone. Look into Amplitube 2, best distortion EVER! You can change pre-amp tubes and the lot. Really great tube dynamics too!
That is if you know you will never gig.

Imo the 5150 is a brilliant investment for life. But as I said research it all!
guitar rig is so expensive because

a) it works, and
b) there's nothing else quite like it.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
what does the 5150 go for?

gr2 is about 650USD in sweden (converted from sek). with floorpedal and whatnot.

concidering how well it works it's no bad investment.
Quote by tubab0y
guitar rig is so expensive because

a) it works, and
b) there's nothing else quite like it.

actually theres plenty of stuff like it.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm

Am I the onyl one that thinks 5150s look nier that 6505s? I know they sound the same.. But 5150s just look a lot better in my opinion.
I guess it's just me, but I prefer a big box with some knobs and a speaker sitting right in front of me, and I know exactly what's going on in there. A computer? It's a bunch of chips and stuff. Give me a good tube amp and a couple pedals and I am set.