Ok, looking to upgrade from my Crate GX-15 to something better/more powerful. I can spend up to $400, but i can get something cheaper thatd be great. I have no issues buying used gear. I need an amp that is loud enough to play with a band and able to handle small to medium sized gigs. I pretty much play every style of rock, so im looking for something versitle. I was thinking about a Valvetronix for the veristility but how would it compare to an all-tube amp tone wise? Sorry, im an amp noob
Ibanez S620EX Limited Edition
Ibanez GAX70
Peavey Classic 50
Crate GX-15
Last edited by gregevans209 at Mar 22, 2007,
The Valvetronix is a great amp. The tone isn't quite as good as an all-tube, but you'll still love it. You also might look into a Cube for that price range. And well done on getting rid of the Crate!
Yea, the tone is terrible on my crate. From what Ive heard of about the cubes, arent they just little practice amps? do they make bigger ones?
Ibanez GAX70
Peavey Classic 50
Crate GX-15
The Valvetronix are pretty nice, but they aren't tube.

If you want an all tube amp for gigging, you're gonna have to go used at the $400 level. I've seen Fender Hot Rods, Peavey Classic 30/50's, and Crate V's or Palominos in that range. They're all fine all around rock amps. Looking used is a little trickier. Best to see what's available by you, then ask about it. Craig's List and eBay are great on-line, your local pawn shop could turn out to be a lot better.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Same question as he had, but for an amp with a metal tone under $400?
(Don't really want to start me own thread ^_^; )
Quote by Kensai
When I wear it I have to fight off women with a stick. Ifyouknowwhatimean.

Quote by daytripper75
Today, 2:51pm EST: Prodigy179 has officially hit puberty.

They're eating her! And then they're going to eat me!
OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-
So I've decided to go all tube, after playing around with some modellers i've realized i'd rather find my own tone than mimic someones. Im still looking to spend ~$400. I need it loud enough to play small to med gigs (most will have no PA). Id rather get a nice used amp than a not so good new one. im looking at a med-high gain amp btw.
Ibanez GAX70
Peavey Classic 50
Crate GX-15