Ok, im not asking for cheap and inexpensive ways to soundproof. I am moving soon and me and my cousin are going to soundproof a small room for music. Basically I want to know, whats the real way to soundproof and can anyone hook me up with some links for this job? I am getting a 40 watt tube amp soon and I wanna be able to turn it up a few notches without disturbing anyone as well as do some late night recording and band practices

EDIT: and dont recomend that studio foam stuff, i need to soundproof not improve the acoustics of the room
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

Last edited by WlCmToTheJungle at Mar 22, 2007,
Have the room floating inside another room which has been pumped free of air. Don't forget the oxygen tanks
i heard elvis used shag rug on his walls to soundproof. but i never knew the foam improves the acoustics, so i dunno if shag rug does that too.
The real soundproofing comes at a high price. It involves the actual structure of the room, particularly the windows and walls. I assume you don't want to screw with your walls, so I will give you some practical advice.

Get a very thick, VERY thick curtain, preferably black (yes, it matters a little) and hang it all along the walls of the room. Get an air-tight door installed. Cover the floor in corrugated cardboard from old boxes (The styrafoam that often comes in them is good too). And covering the floor in clothes will help.

Got old flat egg cartons? Tape them to the ceiling. Some say they don't actually sound proof. I'm not sure if that's true, but what is true is that they do offer some acoustic treatment, so it's a good idea.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
It would look retarded, but egg cartons, stacked 2 deep, face down over every inch of the walls. It works.
There is a HUGE difference between soundproofing a room (ostensibly so as not to trouble the neighbours, but we know the real reason is so you can't hear noise from outside) and acoustically treating it (minimizing/controlling reflections)

keep that in mind
http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/myths.htm

im looking at that page and all the suggestions are on it

guys, dont be afraid, we know were gonna have to spend some benjamins on this one
My Gear:
Epiphone Sheraton II
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

Quote by Muphin
The real soundproofing comes at a high price. It involves the actual structure of the room, particularly the windows and walls. I assume you don't want to screw with your walls, so I will give you some practical advice.

Get a very thick, VERY thick curtain, preferably black (yes, it matters a little) and hang it all along the walls of the room. Get an air-tight door installed. Cover the floor in corrugated cardboard from old boxes (The styrafoam that often comes in them is good too). And covering the floor in clothes will help.

Got old flat egg cartons? Tape them to the ceiling. Some say they don't actually sound proof. I'm not sure if that's true, but what is true is that they do offer some acoustic treatment, so it's a good idea.

Did you see that on popular mechanics for kids?....

They showed like the exact same thing you just mentioned.
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.
also egg cartons catch on fire really easily........
My Gear:
Epiphone Sheraton II
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

Quote by AthenasGhost
Did you see that on popular mechanics for kids?....

They showed like the exact same thing you just mentioned.

Yeah dude, I saw that episode when I was like, eight years old. Stuck with me forever. I never tried it myself.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by Muphin
Yeah dude, I saw that episode when I was like, eight years old. Stuck with me forever. I never tried it myself.

It's stuck in my head like a photograph too, haha. I've wanted to try it too but I've never tried it myself.
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.
easy, get all the rugs and blankets in your house, put the on the floor, (if it isn't carpeted) or hang em on the walls/ceiling
I have a soundproof room you need no windows a tight door that is like 6 inches thick stuffed with insulation studs that don't go threw the wall so the studs need to be alternated and it needs to be a 2 by 6 for the wall and stuffed with insulation because wood will conduct the sound and for the ceiling i have like a foot and a half of insulation because its a tall ceiling.
Quote by 420 FREAK
I have a soundproof room you need no windows a tight door that is like 6 inches thick stuffed with insulation studs that don't go threw the wall so the studs need to be alternated and it needs to be a 2 by 6 for the wall and stuffed with insulation because wood will conduct the sound and for the ceiling i have like a foot and a half of insulation because its a tall ceiling.

is there a special kind of insolation? links?

EDIT: and is this external insolation that i can just nail to the walls? im a little confused on what ur saying
My Gear:
Epiphone Sheraton II
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

no, im not talking about REAL soundproofing, seriously i want REAL soundproofing
My Gear:
Epiphone Sheraton II
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

one time i was faced with the same predicament. I had a 40 watt tube amp, and i wanted to crank and record it. I thought for a long time about how to soundproof the room, and then a real great idea hit me. i would build a sound proof box for my amp. all it taked is some plywood and the insulation that they use in your walls. i also mounted a mic holder that you could change teh postition of. it worked really great. I nearly cut the escaping sound i half, the only reall problem is that you need to make the box failry big to get a great sound.
Quote by strataholic
one time i was faced with the same predicament. I had a 40 watt tube amp, and i wanted to crank and record it. I thought for a long time about how to soundproof the room, and then a real great idea hit me. i would build a sound proof box for my amp. all it taked is some plywood and the insulation that they use in your walls. i also mounted a mic holder that you could change teh postition of. it worked really great. I nearly cut the escaping sound i half, the only reall problem is that you need to make the box failry big to get a great sound.

you know that actually is a great idea, but i also want to have a few band practices,

that is a good idea though, ill give you that
My Gear:
Epiphone Sheraton II
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

there are REAL soundproofing companies around. Theres boun dto be one around your city. Call them and get them to do it. But I highly recommend a room like a basement or at least a room that is all brick wall. It will keep the sound in the best. There is also high density vinyl which you could build into the walls about 6 inches from the original wall and seal it off with acoustical caulking and then build a wall over it to make it look nice. And for windows hang ultra thick curtains over them. Be sure to get a solid wood door and get the weather foam, and line the door edge with it. I'd recommend having a hard floor with lots of rug and acoustical foam to adjust the acoustic properties of the room.

but yeah. Google it, there are lots of soundproofing websites around that will help lots and they will also have materials and where to get them too.

EDIT: btw wall insulation doens't work. People say fiber glass insulation works, but it won't unless you get it to cover every square millimeter with the stuff. And it won't be pretty if you do.
anyone got any prices?
My Gear:
Epiphone Sheraton II
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

if your serious, i would call in a contractor or someone to give you an estimate of what needs to be done and how much it will be
Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
you know that actually is a great idea, but i also want to have a few band practices,

that is a good idea though, ill give you that

oh yeah, sorry dude, forgot about the band practices.