I've been playin my guitar for about 4-5 months now and i've been playin some punk, and rock, it's fun but i want to get into that stuff. Can anyone suggest how i should approach it I have no idea where to start.
1. Get a metronome
2. Do chromatic scales up and down the scale slow...then faster each run
3. Repeat steps 1-2 over and over again
4. When practicing a solo repeat step one again and piece out the solo or fast run into sections so you aren't over whelmed...

That's all I got.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Yeah also start out learning the penetonic scales, up and down, then move into other modes after, then u can shred however you want. Its going to take a long time. Ive been playing for a year and a half and i am learning the modes. Also jam a lot it helps a lot. Freestyle as much as you can. The G-dec helped me progress insanely its definately worth buying>
learn your scales, develop good picking and fingering technique. also try listening to some shred artists and get tabs or try to learn some songs by ear. then you can improvise and that helps too. that's what pretty much helped me.
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
It's gonna be hard at only 4-5 months. I've been at it for almost 2 years, and I can barely comprehend some of the "shred" stuff i try to learn. But don't let me get your hopes down. A metronome IS the way to go for sure.
My Gear:

Guitars:
Fender American HSS Stratocaster

Amps & Effects:
Hand-Wired JCM 800 2204
Hand-Wired V30 2x12 Cab
Keeley TS-9 Tube Screamer
ISP Decimator
EHX Holiest Grail
Modded Dunlop Crybaby
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Quote by Insane Esp
Yeah also start out learning the penetonic scales, up and down, then move into other modes after, then u can shred however you want. Its going to take a long time. Ive been playing for a year and a half and i am learning the modes. Also jam a lot it helps a lot. Freestyle as much as you can. The G-dec helped me progress insanely its definately worth buying>

whats the G-dec?

also a friend taught me how to tap and i've learned how to do the intro to lip gloss and black by atreyu and it would be sweet if i could learn how to sweep pick for bleeding mascara :$
Steve Vai's 30 (or 10 is just as well) hour work out. After going through that routine daily for 2 hours or so (Yeah I know.. I cheat..) you'll be ALOT faster.
lol, i have that wierd metronome thing on my desktop. Use it everyday too.
My Gear:

Guitars:
Fender American HSS Stratocaster

Amps & Effects:
Hand-Wired JCM 800 2204
Hand-Wired V30 2x12 Cab
Keeley TS-9 Tube Screamer
ISP Decimator
EHX Holiest Grail
Modded Dunlop Crybaby
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Quote by Jinskee
1. Get a metronome
2. Do chromatic scales up and down the scale slow...then faster each run
3. Repeat steps 1-2 over and over again
4. When practicing a solo repeat step one again and piece out the solo or fast run into sections so you aren't over whelmed...

That's all I got.

5. Repeat steps 1-4 8 hours each day for 10 years.
Quote by TimmyPage06
Steve Vai's 30 (or 10 is just as well) hour work out. After going through that routine daily for 2 hours or so (Yeah I know.. I cheat..) you'll be ALOT faster.

link?
Quote by tr3nt
thanks man, and what tempo should i practice that at.

Start slow.. I'm talking 60 bpm - and play with 16th notes, and work your way up. That only applies to the beginning.. there's more.