im in love with Trivium and i was wonder what overdrive pedal i should buy i want a maxon OD808 or OD9 but their wayyyy out of my price range. so i was wondering does anyone know a pedal that can replicate Matt Heafy's sound without spending over $200. any suggestions
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
why?
whats wrong with the roland i just got it like 2 weeks ago
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
the od on my roland sucks its all bassy and low and i want something more crunchy
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
you will never replicate his sound with just the pedal he uses. no way. not a chance. give up trying. to get the exact sound he has, you would need the same equipment he has, the same playing, and his fingers. you will never sound like anyone you want to sound like. your roland amp is not classed as an extremely good amp, im sure its ok, but its not a valve amp. if you want a vague idea of matt heafys sound, you will need a les paul/dean, marshall/mesa/5150, all his pedals etc.

good luck
Your best bet is to put the $200 towards a new amp, your amp is good for what it is, but at the end of the day it's still just a 15 watt practice amp. No amount of pedals are going to change that....they can change the sound it makes yes, but they can't make the amp any better and the amp is the limiting factor in your case.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
everyones saying i need a new amp but i dont have any money. the only way is to sell my roland and the pedals arent even mine i just borrowed them. i bought it for like 100 so whats a good amp i can get for that?
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
the od pedal trivium use are used to boost a roaring tube amp. an od808 or od9 won't sound like trivium through your amp, unfortunately.

You already have the boss metal zone- i'd perservere with that, all the while saving for a high gain tube amp if that's the tone you're after. Alternatively, you could maybe send your metal zone to robert keely to get it modded into a better pedal- www.rkfx.com
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
everyones saying i need a new amp but i dont have any money. the only way is to sell my roland and the pedals arent even mine i just borrowed them. i bought it for like 100 so whats a good amp i can get for that?

You just have to wait then....it's a sad fact of life that we don't always get what we want when we want it. To put it into perspective, you might as well have asked why you can't race a Yugo in the Indy 500...the difference in equipment isn't quite so extreme, but you get the idea.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

you guys suck! Ok yeah he won't get Matt Heafy's tone out of his amp no matter what pedal he gets, but he can get a nice, even similar tone with his amp and a pedal.

I don't have a clue about distortion or overdrive pedals, but I know that it's stupid for you to tell this kid to get a new amp when he's just bought one a couple of weeks ago.

So can someone just recommend him a pedal that will give him a semi-decent tone for playing Trivium.
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat,
Epiphone Les Paul ES,
Line6 Flextone III,
Laney VC15,
Some pedals,
Some recording gear.
Your amp simply isn't capable of producing the tones you're looking for, no matter what else you but in your rig. You could sell eveything and buy a new amp but it's not really worthwhile, if and when you upgrade you'll want it to last. Concentrate on learning to play and work out how get the absolute best out of the gear you have, you could aim to grab a cube 60 as your next upgrade, or if you know the sound you want aim for an amp that will excel at it.

I don't have a clue about distortion or overdrive pedals, but I know that it's stupid for you to tell this kid to get a new amp when he's just bought one a couple of weeks ago.

It's not so much a case of telling him to buy a new amp, I'm just saying that his gear has limits and to get used to them. No pedal is going to get particuarly close to the tone's he's hearing and to shell out a couple of hundred dollars on a pedal would be daft. Far better to hold on to the cash and put it towards a good upgrade somewhere down the line...an expensive pedal would just be dead money.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Last edited by steven seagull at Mar 24, 2007,
^That's fair enough, and I agree with what you're saying completely.

It's just annoying when this guy, who's obviously not very experienced and I doubt has developed an ear for tone yet, comes on here asking for help and everyone just implies that his amp is shit (which it isn't, for what it is) and that he's not going to get it to sound good, and should just lay down loads of money for a Peavey 5150 or whatever that I doubt he'll be able to crank ever anyway, or appreciate for that matter.
Epiphone Les Paul ES,
Line6 Flextone III,
Laney VC15,
Some pedals,
Some recording gear.
Quote by This_Kidd
^That's fair enough, and I agree with what you're saying completely.

It's just annoying when this guy, who's obviously not very experienced and I doubt has developed an ear for tone yet, comes on here asking for help and everyone just implies that his amp is shit (which it isn't, for what it is) and that he's not going to get it to sound good, and should just lay down loads of money for a Peavey 5150 or whatever that I doubt he'll be able to crank ever anyway, or appreciate for that matter.

excuse me? i said an OD will sound sh!t through it. not his amp is sh!t. learn to read.
I saw a Trivium vid last night funnily enough, their town was nothing out of the ordinary...fairly crunchy, middly high-gain sound. It puzzles me when people get so hung up on tones when they aren't much different to everyone elses.

TS - muck around with your EQ ing and see if you can get closer, failing that a DS-1 and an Danelectro EQ pedal might be a worthwhile investment. The DS-1 will give you more gain should you need it, the EQ will give you proper control over the sound and you should be able to get anything from a vintage-type overdriven sound to a chunky metally tone.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
I saw a Trivium vid last night funnily enough, their town was nothing out of the ordinary...fairly crunchy, middly high-gain sound. It puzzles me when people get so hung up on tones when they aren't much different to everyone elses.

i agree with you there, they kinda sound like the standard marshall crunch, not that saturated but has a crunch to it. Ordinary sounding if you ask me

If you're set on using that $200 to get a pedal.....Well try a Tech21 Sansamp GT2. The marshall tone setting is pretty nice, plus you have 2 other setting to play with. (fender,mesa)

btw the GT2 recording in my sig is using the marshall setting, but set to a high gain and with the mids pretty scooped, and just a tad of fuzz added, so i guess it doesnt really sound like your regular marshall
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
Quote by This_Kidd
you guys suck! Ok yeah he won't get Matt Heafy's tone out of his amp no matter what pedal he gets, but he can get a nice, even similar tone with his amp and a pedal.

So can someone just recommend him a pedal that will give him a semi-decent tone for playing Trivium.

I did, i recommended he send away his metal zone to be modded.

The problem is, there isn't really a pedal available which will get him a trivium tone- if he can't get it with his boss metal zone, which he already has.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
just use the rectifier model on your cube and tweak the EQ a bit until you get a similar sound. thats the best i can tell you.
1993 Jackson Dinky Professional XL (shred)
Modified Squier Strat (blues and anything)
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Dunlop Original Crybaby GCB-95
dude, **** it u got a cube, crank onto metal, put gain on full, add full bass, 3/4 trebel and just over 1/2 middle and it sounds ****ing sweet (sorry but the swearing, just its a really nice amp for the money) ignor the mat tone caus u will need a little more money before you can get that sound
Quote by voxdude26
just use the rectifier model on your cube and tweak the EQ a bit until you get a similar sound. thats the best i can tell you.

i don't think the 15x has amp models, unfortunately...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
if you can't get the overdrive you want out of your amp, a chinsey pedal isn't going to solve that problem. I can't say I've owned a huge variety of overdrive pedals, but the ones I've used have been a waste of my cash beyond giving me a slight boost.
WTF IS TONE!!!!
sorry but i have no idea what tone is.
since ive made this thread i have tweaked with the EQ's on my amp. before i tried and couldnt get it. ive gotten close enough im selling the damn thing soon anyway.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
^You only bought it like 2 weeks ago.. why are you selling it?

Quote by Arlabester
excuse me? i said an OD will sound sh!t through it. not his amp is sh!t. learn to read.

You told him to buy a new amp.
Epiphone Les Paul ES,
Line6 Flextone III,
Laney VC15,
Some pedals,
Some recording gear.
Last edited by This_Kidd at Mar 26, 2007,
WTF IS TONE!!!!
sorry but i have no idea what tone is.
since ive made this thread i have tweaked with the EQ's on my amp. before i tried and couldnt get it. ive gotten close enough im selling the damn thing soon anyway.

I understand your frustrated but there's no point selling your amp - NOTHING in your price range will get you that exact tone and there's no point shelling out silly money until you can actually play. Having said that you'd probably be better off with a Microcube. That aside
there's nothing to stop you playing the stuff you want - you have an electric guitar, an amp and some distortion - some people muddle along for years on an acoustic and still manage to learn the stuff they want to.

Just make the best of what you have, figure out how to make it sound as good as it can and concentrate on playing.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

^ agreed.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
well im not going to sell because every one is telling me too. but im kinda in a band and a 15 watt amp isnt loud enough to go over a drum set. i was think to sell it and get a Drive 30 watt and a pedal....idk.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo