Page 1 of 2
Who do you think is the most underrated guitar player out there?

My vote goes to Prince.
Do You Make These Guitar Playing Mistakes? FREE guitar eBook... instant download at StartRocking.com
Buckethead.

I don't think enough people realize his talent, he shreds like a god, but puts feeling into his songs, which a lot of shredders don't do.
id say James Hetfield, most people overlook him when it comes to guitar playing, but he is really good fo sho
My Gear Brah:
  • Ibanez K7 (silver)
  • Gibson Les Paul Custom (ebony w/ gold hardware)
  • Mesa Triple Rectifier Head
  • Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Traditional Cab
  • Too many pedals to list...

Quote by fattypumbaa
Rory Gallagher and Mike Mike Campbell

I was gonna say that, beat me to it.

But yeah ny vote goes to Rory. +1
Amazing player...
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Quote by fattypumbaa
Rory Gallagher and Mike Campbell

+1, and add Paul Kossoff to that list
"Notes are expensive. . .use them wisely"-B.B. King

"It's been very important throughout my career that I've met all the guys I've copied, because at each stage they've said, 'Don't play like me, play like you."-Eric Clapton
Johnny A because he's so good at what he does yet barely anyone knows who he is...
Guitars:
Legend Guitar Company OM-307QM,
Gitane John Jorgenson Gypsy Jazz Guitar,
Ibanez AG-85,
Gibson Johnny A Signature Custom

Gear:
E-MU 1820M, Guitar Box Pro, Aphex 204, 1404, Boss OC-2, QSR, Roland Cube 60, Guitar Rig 2, Crybaby 535Q
well i guess there are really two categories:

-most underrated guitar player

and

-least known guitar player (that is really awesome).

i think guys like Buckethead, Govan, and the late Shawn Lane go in the second category. once you finally discover them and hear them play, you KNOW they are awesome (unless you're deaf).

underrated is more like you know they play guitar but they don't really get much credit for it because people don't realize how good they really are (perhaps they don't play a lot on the records they put out or whatever).
Do You Make These Guitar Playing Mistakes? FREE guitar eBook... instant download at StartRocking.com
Buckethead..he needs to be recogonized more.
One Way Ticket To Hell

Gear

-Ibanez GRX20Z
-Ibanez XPT700 Xiphos
-Peavey Studio Pro 112
-DigiTech Grunge
-Zakk Wylde Wah
-DigiTech Whammy
-MXR 10-Band EQ

Future Purchases
-EMG's 81/85
-Cab
-Krankenstein Head
-ESP Eclipse II
ok i'm probably going to get jumped by saying this... but have you guys checked out Keith Urban's guitar playing?

i know, i know, he's that famous country singer guy, but my brother told me about him playing on tv live doing some cool guitar stuff... so i youtubed him, found a live video of him (playing acoustic) and it's actually pretty damn good for a real popular, mainstream musician.

check it out for yourself:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YKNNLfr_vx4
Kirk Hammett.

Everybody knows his name, but only a few recognize his talent. He uses the minor pentatonic scale almost exclusively and managed to make masterpiece metal solos, as well as the bluesier sounding solos of Load and ReLoad. He can also apply wah to just about anything and have it sound good, and let's not forget the Enter Sandman riff.

He's also the only guitarist I know that managed to screw up during a recording and end up having it sound cool; he frets out during the second Master of Puppets solo. No, he really can't shred to save his life, but not everyone likes shredding anyway. He rarely makes use of sweep / economy picking (to my knowledge, heard only in Creeping Death and Leper Messiah) and I like that; sweep picking is overused in my opinion anyway.

He's a rounded off guitarist, has written masterpiece solos, and isn't egotistical about his position as a guitarist or his position in Metallica. I honestly don't think he's appreciated enough.
Quote by Jawshuwa
Kirk Hammett.

Everybody knows his name, but only a few recognize his talent. He uses the minor pentatonic scale almost exclusively and managed to make masterpiece metal solos, as well as the bluesier sounding solos of Load and ReLoad. He can also apply wah to just about anything and have it sound good, and let's not forget the Enter Sandman riff.

He's also the only guitarist I know that managed to screw up during a recording and end up having it sound cool; he frets out during the second Master of Puppets solo. No, he really can't shred to save his life, but not everyone likes shredding anyway. He rarely makes use of sweep / economy picking (to my knowledge, heard only in Creeping Death and Leper Messiah) and I like that; sweep picking is overused in my opinion anyway.

He's a rounded off guitarist, has written masterpiece solos, and isn't egotistical about his position as a guitarist or his position in Metallica. I honestly don't think he's appreciated enough.

qft
HARDCORE GROUPIE OF THE LENGENDARY ZEPPELINISM
PM The Heartbreaker to join(you should join ) !!

TEH BEST THREAD EVER =]

Quote by DownInAHole.
3 times I've been sigged!

actually four now..^^^
+1 for Buckethead. No two albums of his sound the same.
My Gear
Burny LP Custom w/ Fernandes Sustainer and EMG
Crate Vintage Club All-tube 50
Fender Roc Pro 1000 head
Crate GFX 4x12 cab
Jekyll & Hyde Overdrive/Distortion pedal
Davil Gilmour.

His tone, melodies, solos, everything is just so damn good. I could listen to Floyd/Gilmour for hours and still feel inspired.
Kirk Hammett is a good guitarist..if anything he's over-rated. But I gotta give him credit for staying with metallica so long..
Prince is teh shit
Gear
Custom Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Acoustic
VK 112
Epi VJ
EHX Holy Grail
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Modded Tubescreamer TS7 -> TS-808
Strat Knockoff
Robert Fripp.
Member #5 of Agile LP over Epiphone LP Club.
Contact iamtehwalrus768 to join.
Quote by Lightitup
Buckethead.

I don't think enough people realize his talent, he shreds like a god, but puts feeling into his songs, which a lot of shredders don't do.

+1 Buckethead has a style that can't be replicated and he can play very well...

David Gilmour is pretty underrated, his solos have so much feeling in them and they really inspire

Hetfield......He is a good guitarist and he can sing while playing which makes him more talented(Singing while playing riffs from Kill 'em All would be hard)

Mick Tomson....He can shred if he wants but he is a fan of simple riffs instead of complex...He rarely gets the credit he deserves.....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Les Paul.

Honestly, how many times have you heard his name that wasnt about a new guitar thread.
POOP
My Rig:(left out some stuff)
Peavey 6505 and Marshall 1960B cab
Epiphone Custom LP
Line6 PODXTLive
Electro-Harmonix Holy Grail reverb
Boss NS-2 Noise Supressor Tuner Super Chorus
MXR 6-band EQ
The Trick Thread
Paul Gilbert, and Robert Smith
Quote by jmag

God, you make a 5-year-old seem like master Yoda, as far as patience goes.
Michael Amott, the guitarist for Arch Enemy and Spiritual Beggers, formerly of Carcass. He's an amazing metal guitarist, as he puts so much feeling into his playing. He puts so much more focus on dynamics, textures, and effects than just raw brutality.
what about Malcom Young he's really good actually
Quote by nasstyman
i don't do drugs but i fook like a pronstar and i drink like a fish and smoke like a chimney....
Roope Latvala- second guitarist from children of bodom, most people recognize Alexi as a guitar god but not many people know about Roope's talent, he's actually just as fast as Alexi if not faster and can play anything Alexi can

Phil Collen- guitarist from Def Leppard, not the fastest guitarist, but he's very talented and i'v never seen a thread on him on this website in the 2 years i'v been on this site

Daniel Loineye- guitarist from HIM, not many people know about him mainly because not many people listen to HIM but he is talented and underrated

Jim Root and Mick Thomson- just because their in a nu-metal band means they're automatically shitty guitar players? well your damn wrong, both guitarists from Slipknot are very talented and get verbally abused by people who dont know any better everywhere. yes, they dont compare to cooley or vai, but they surely dont suck
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Quote by JohnnyCobra
Who do you think is the most underrated guitar player out there?

My vote goes to Prince.

yeah he's really good I watched him on the superbowl half time show. He might not be the best singer and he might dress like a weirdo but man that dude can play the guitar.
Quote by Osiris77
yeah he's really good I watched him on the superbowl half time show.

yeah he was AWESOME on the half time show. especially cool since he was playing in the pouring rain.
Page 1 of 2