Page 1 of 2
http://www.ibanez.com/eg/guitar.aspx?m=JEM20TH

It appears to be see through. It says the body is made of resin?? That has to be the ugliest guitar I've ever seen. Looks like it came straight from Nickelodeon. I'm sorry, but why was this made and does anyone here own this thing?

EDIT: My mistake..it seems only the pickguard is see through but it still says the body is "resin"
Last edited by LordBattlecrisp at Mar 22, 2007,
steve Vai owns one, i'm pretty sure he helped create it... it lights up, looks pretty cool
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
I dunno man, i think it looks pretty cool. The handel in the body is kinda weird though.
I want that guitar actually, its the anniversary guitar I believe, in my GW magazine it looks more black and green though.
One Way Ticket To Hell

Gear

-Ibanez GRX20Z
-Ibanez XPT700 Xiphos
-Peavey Studio Pro 112
-DigiTech Grunge
-Zakk Wylde Wah
-DigiTech Whammy
-MXR 10-Band EQ

Future Purchases
-EMG's 81/85
-Cab
-Krankenstein Head
-ESP Eclipse II
That thing is badass. It is all the way see through I'm pretty sure, and Vai uses one.

I saw the ad in a guitar world and thought it looked pretty sweet, plus I love the Jems handle style, very cool.
no, the whole thing is see through, hence the multi-color INSIDE. in other words, it looks like one of those marbles that has the colored strip in the middle. to be honest though, i kinda like it
The body is see-through acrylic imbedded with colored led's. See the Namm 07 video clips at geartree.com.
that fukken thing lights up!!!
Quote by Hpda5121
im not a racist because racism is a crime, and crime is for black people

fender mexican fat strat (discontinued)
mesa triple recto
digitech grunge
digitech death metal
I couldnt give two shits about Steve Vai (not being disrespectful,just not my thing ) but i think that guitar is fantastic looking.

and im FAAAAAAR from being a metalhead!
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

Quote by buzz
I couldnt give two shits about Steve Vai (not being disrespectful,just not my thing ) but i think that guitar is fantastic looking.

and im FAAAAAAR from being a metalhead!

well... vai has nothing to do with metal

and all the people talkin about the handle, im suprised this is the first time youve seen one. vais been essentially using guitars with handles exclusively since the 80s

EDIT: visually it looks great, but i wonder what the tone is like? :S
Last edited by Diamond Dave at Mar 23, 2007,
vai uses it, the tone can't be horrible.

Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Why is he playing with Herman "Sloppyfingers" Li?

EDIT: Oh, I get it now. A 20TH Anniversary Ibanez "Supergroup?"
I didn't like it when I first saw it on the Ibanez website a while ago, I couldn't tell that it was see-through. But in that pic with Steve Vai it looks pretty sweet. Looks like something people would LOVE back in the '80s with all the colors.
Quote by beckyjc
Well, it looks like vomit...

perhaps they get steve vai to swallow some paint and barf all over it. According to the way vai fans are, that would probably put the price tag at around $20,000.

(No offense vai fans)
I wouldn't buy that, I mean it looks quite cool and all, but still, wouldn't buy it myself.

And anyway I'm a Vai fan but I'm not sure I'd buy any JEM apart from the Universe 7 string, I just don't like the 'monkey grip'...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
looks like someone butchered a hippy which is cool in itself....but it lights up?! gangster.
Member #11 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club. PM stepco12345 to join!

brainwashing
Quote by tubab0y
vai uses it, the tone can't be horrible.

Is that the guy (to the right of Vai) from the band Dragonforce?
Yeah he's Herman Li, he's playing with Vai and a load of other guys for an Ibanez anniversary thing I think, but IMHO he doesn't have the right to be on the same stage as Vai.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
don't start that, half the people from the original thread got warned/banned.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by LordBattlecrisp
perhaps they get steve vai to swallow some paint and barf all over it. According to the way vai fans are, that would probably put the price tag at around $20,000.

(No offense vai fans)

i believe it went for 25,000. and all are sold via pre order.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Quote by LordBattlecrisp

(No offense vai fans)

they actually made a few with his blood in it. they said that 100 years from now they'd take DNA from it and clone him. it's actually decent looking.

Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
Dan Armstrong (Ampeg) tried the plexiglass guitar during the mid-seventies(?) It didn't catch on but now they are collectable.
of course vai uses it. the original jem was custom made to his exact specifications. Vai choose ibanez to build it for him because they were the only company that could satisfy his unique desires in a guitar (i.e. no other company was willing to make his guitar with a monkey grip and a full floating trem). the 20th anniversary jems are replicas of vai's first
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Actually, it can be as bad as he wants it to be.
Resin isn't really a good wood for whatever reasons that why you want a guitar to be made out of good wood, get it?
Ok, which his massive array of rack effects and pedals and amps, he can even make a BC rich sound better than your Gibson LP Custom.
fretboard looks kind of wide and neck looks kind of short proportionally, but then again I can't tell too well unless I see it in person.
^that picture is a 7 string. . .

the link is a 6 string
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Quote by tubadude
i believe it went for 25,000. and all are sold via pre order.

Are you f'in kidding me man? That is REE-DICK-YOO-LUSS
Quote by tubab0y
they actually made a few with his blood in it. they said that 100 years from now they'd take DNA from it and clone him. it's actually decent looking.

Well, it looks like shite. Just watch, they're gonna clone him and his clone is going to be like "What, I'm supposed to be a guitar god? F that! I'm going to fashion school betch!" Then Steve Vai craps his grave.
Wow, I think it's one of the ugliest things I've ever seen. the only thing I like is the RG shape. Resin? LEDs? Seems like Vai has too much time on his hands.

Oh, and to the guy who said "Herman 'Sloppyhands' Li", I saw Dragonforce live recently and they were tighter than prepubescent pussy so stop jumping on the bandwagon.
Ibanez RG1570 w/ Bareknuckle Pickups
Ibanez RG655
PRS SE Fredrik Åkesson Singlecut
Blackstar HT-5
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
BOSS TU-2
MXR M-108
Digitech Bad Monkey
Page 1 of 2