Page 1 of 2
Im currently using a Microcube, since dorm rooms dont exactly have the room or security for anything bigger. However, I'll be moving out in a few weeks and will hopefully have more room for something bigger. Whatever I get has to be all tube, no ss. I dont play gigs, so I am sort of in a toss up trying to decide the wattage I need. 100W seems like overkill as I doubt I'll ever hit the potential of one unless I'm using an attenuator or something. I've looked at quite a few brands, especially Marshall and Orange. The amp that absolutely nails the type of tone I'm looking for is the old Plexi from 67-69. Hendrix has a heavy influence on my style of playing, as does Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, etc... I play blues, classic rock, and any combination of bluesrock. I dont get into metal at all, my personal tone preference requires very good cleans. I dont care about features, just the tone. I have yet the opportunity to try all of these amps out, since I wont be near a guitar shop for a few more weeks. However, I thought it'd be good to hear suggestions and opinions; not to decide for me but to help me make my own decision.

I dont have more than $3000 for everything and even thats a bit of a stretch. I dont need a full stack, so a half-stack would work well if I went with a head (which I'd prefer over a combo). Vintage amps and the handwired 1959 Plexi are too expensive for me and I doubt I'd reach their potential. I will be using this amp for personal use and possibly recording, so huge wattage isnt required. I did however look at both the 1959slp and 1987x reissue. I've heard that they are much brighter than the old plexi, but changing the output transistor will correct that. I also looked at the 1974x and 2061x handwired reissues. People have said that they are plenty loud, however I'm worried that the 1974 wouldnt be able to give me the excellent cleans that I need and could get from the 2061. I took a look at the new JVM. Again, it's overkill for what I need but I've heard that the cleans are some of the best on any Marshall and many other amps. The price of that falls into my range as well. I also looked at the Orange Rocker 30, but people tell me it sounds different than the plexi. If so, I'd probably steer away from it. Are there any other brands that sell Plexi-soundalikes? I know it's a long read, but I appreciate the replies. I've been reading peoples' opinions and trying out whatever I could get my hands on, but I'd just like to know what to look for when I get the chance next month to go try them out. Thanks
splawn makes hotrodded marshall amps that you may like but they are a bit more modern sounding. roccaforte makes more vintage style amps similar to marshalls and do sound amazing.
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce
You'll need 30-50 watts in terms of power MAX. 30 watts is probably the best bet.

I'd reccommend the Orange range obviously, they're very nice and seem suited for what you want. You could get a Rocker 30 head with a 2x12 cab for under budget so you should DEFINITELY check that out.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Orange look nice and I would normally have a chance to test one out at the local guitar shop near my house, but they're all out at the moment. Are they close to what a Plexi sounds like? And how nice are the cleans?
Germino Amp's look very interesting too. Handmade one at a time right in NC with a dealer in my hometown. The owner/builder is a vintage Marshall expert and every model is based off a Plexi. The price is much less than those that Marshall is charging. Any experience with these?
Quote by Moonglow
Germino Amp's look very interesting too. Handmade one at a time right in NC with a dealer in my hometown. The owner/builder is a vintage Marshall expert and every model is based off a Plexi. The price is much less than those that Marshall is charging. Any experience with these?

Thats exactly what I was just going to recommend. I will more than seriously suggest you try out the Germino amp line. These are like NOS plexis. They nail the sound. I believe Joe Perry has a bunch kickin around that he performs with also.
Gear: Yamaha AES 620 Equipped with SD JB+APH-1
Fender American Deluxe V-Neck Equipped with BKP Mothers Milk
Fender Pro Jr., Traynor YCV 50, Diamond J-Drive MK3, Fulltone 70's Fuzz, Teese RMC Wizard Wah, Boss dd-3, Boss CE-5, Korg DT-10 pedal tuner.
check out splawn. also i saw a site a LONG time ago that made plexi and marshall 18 watt replicas that werent very expensive. try searching tube amp kits on google. thats how i found it.
1993 Jackson Dinky Professional XL (shred)
Modified Squier Strat (blues and anything)
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Dunlop Original Crybaby GCB-95
Quote by Burtonjp
Thats exactly what I was just going to recommend. I will more than seriously suggest you try out the Germino amp line. These are like NOS plexis. They nail the sound. I believe Joe Perry has a bunch kickin around that he performs with also.

His workshop is right where I live, so hopefully (?) I could get a deal by cutting out the middleman (the stores) and save on shipping. Too bad they dont have a 30watt versino, 18 is a little less than I'd wanna have and 40 is a little bit more
18 Watt Plexi. I don't know if you are a DIYer at all, but if you are (or know someone who is) you can get these things built for reasonably cheap, and at 18 watts it is perfect for your needs.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

Quote by thrice_removed
18 Watt Plexi. I don't know if you are a DIYer at all, but if you are (or know someone who is) you can get these things built for reasonably cheap, and at 18 watts it is perfect for your needs.

Are there any kits out there that are more highly regarded than the rest?
I found a company called Mojave that makes amps that claim to have improved the Plexi tone. The Plexi 45 is 45W, but it's got a dial that allows to select the amount of power going through to it, anywhere from 2-45W. Good be useful for when I want that classic overdriven sound without blowing the windows out of my room. Any experience with them?

Nm, the price is way up there. $2700-2800 for the head alone and well out of my price range. Still very interesting amp maker
Last edited by Moonglow at Mar 23, 2007,
why havent you listened to me and checked out roccaforte amps!??!?!

http://www.roccaforteamps.com/index.htm
Gibson SG Special
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head

Quote by Moonglow
Are there any kits out there that are more highly regarded than the rest?

ceriatone 18w tmb is pretty nice. one of the guys on this site has a huge thread dedicated to this amp build.
Gibson SG Special
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head

I've looked at both Roccaforte and Ceriatone. Roccaforte looks very good and is currently tied with Germino on my list of things to get. I've heard good things about Ceriatone, but I'm wondering how good the components quality is since it's built in Asia

I assume these handwired versions of the Plexi will sound better and closer in tone to the original than the Marshall reissue?
the handwired marshall amps are significantly better than the non hand wired. the guys on harmony central forums say the marshall reissues are not worth the money.
Gibson SG Special
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head

Take a good look at THD amps, they rock.

Also, you can get a real Marshall for way less than the price of the reissues.

I've seen 1975 JMP100's (100w superleads) go for AUD$1800, that's probably a bit over USD$1000. Look around for used Marshalls, you might be able to find one in good nick. Pre '75 are non master volume plexis I believe, and they rock.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
How about a Randall MTS 50 watt combo with a Plexi module and something like a Blackface for cleans?

http://www.randallamplifiers.com/products/amplifiers/mts/index.asp

The above should be well within your budget
Hamer USA Chapparal Custom, scalloped fretboard & Sustainiac
Hamer USA Chapparal Elite, Dragon Snakeskin finish
BC Rich USA Gunslinger
BC Rich USA Warlock
Boss GX700
3TM ADA MP1
Rocktron XPression
Mesa 50/50 Stereo Power Amp
Laney 4x12 Cab
Quote by rockers73
How about a Randall MTS 50 watt combo with a Plexi module and something like a Blackface for cleans?

http://www.randallamplifiers.com/products/amplifiers/mts/index.asp

The above should be well within your budget

Those Randall modules - while not sound horrible, sound very solid-statey. Which is not the sound you generally want from a Plexi.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

What kinda budget are you trying to keep?? You can get plexi sound for $300-Skys the limit.
I would suggest the orange rocker...maybe the AD series.

If you want an effects loop you would need the 50 watt version, push that through some 2x12 (better with 4x12, oh yeah)

The Orange has FANTASTIC cleans, and the OD is great for what you listed, and to top it all off....its Orange, need to say no more.....OKay I will, its a dark amp, most definatly not bright IMO, whether thats something that you want or not.
Since your price is up to $3000, if you want low wattage and plexi; just get the handwired 18W 1974X. If you value your time and factor in the possibility that it's quite easy to **** up (or you just like the thought of a professional doing it..) No need to build your own. IMO, the kits when assembled don't sound as good ast the actual thing (though that depends on the builder).

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/1974X/
Have you played one thrice? I haven't yet. The MTS has had some really good reviews.
BC Rich USA Gunslinger
BC Rich USA Warlock
Boss GX700
3TM ADA MP1
Rocktron XPression
Laney 4x12 Cab
^Yeah I have heard them on a couple occasions. They are certainly far from bad, and they offer you a huge amount of versatility (although at a price). Just definitely nowhere near as good as a plexi.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Looking forward to trying one out in the flesh.
BC Rich USA Gunslinger
BC Rich USA Warlock
Boss GX700
3TM ADA MP1
Rocktron XPression
Laney 4x12 Cab
First of all, great taste in music.

Secondly, look into the Ceriatone 18 watt Plexi kit, not too expensive, apparently sounds immense, and it's not too expensive.

Or get a Plexi RI or copy and an attenuator.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
^Yeah I have talked to a couple of people who have built the Ceriatone kits and they say they are wonderful.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Quote by Hakanku
I would suggest the orange rocker...maybe the AD series.

If you want an effects loop you would need the 50 watt version, push that through some 2x12 (better with 4x12, oh yeah)

The Orange has FANTASTIC cleans, and the OD is great for what you listed, and to top it all off....its Orange, need to say no more.....OKay I will, its a dark amp, most definatly not bright IMO, whether thats something that you want or not.

I'm definitely considering Orange now. Probably a 30W version, no need to blow the windows out of my room and features dont matter to me as much as tone. I'm glad to hear the cleans are good, that's vital for what I'm looking for. I assume that the Orange matches the Marshall in darkness? I wouldnt really expect Fender brightness from either. How does the Orange compare to the old Plexi tonewise? Close? Nearly spot on? What are the differences between the Rocker and the AD series? And if I go for a halfstack, is it worth it to get a 4x12 or just stick with the 2x12? Thanks

edit- after looking at the differences between the Rocker 30 and the 50, I noticed that the 50 has treble, middle and bass knobs while the 30 does not. I also noticed that the 30 uses EL34 tubes, while the 50 uses 6V6. How will the difference in tubes affect the tone between the two?
If you have 3000 bucks to spend, just buy a real original plexi. They sell for around 1500-2000 on ebay all the time.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
^ Yeah, like I said before, if you want a plexi sound and you have $3000, don't bother with all these other amps. Just buy the real thing.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
I'm really interested in the Orange amps now, but I'll keep the original Plexi in mind. How is it's responsiveness? And how are the features? Are they worth getting the Rockerverb 50?
Quote by Moonglow
I'm really interested in the Orange amps now, but I'll keep the original Plexi in mind. How is it's responsiveness? And how are the features? Are they worth getting the Rockerverb 50?

Orange and Marshall are two completely different amps, I mean they're a similar style and everything, but they really aren't to be compared because they (to me) both have a very distinctive tone.

I'm not all that farmiliar with Orange Amps but for the money you can pretty much buy an original plexi (a shop here had an original plexi half stack for $2,300).

My suggestion is that you try out some sound clips of the amps or live clips of bands which use them.
Any other good, unique sounding amps out there? Not neccesarily a Plexi-type tone, but something a little darker sounding (think Marshall, Orange) rather than bright (Fender, AC30) Trying to look at some other options that will have excellent cleans and good dirty tones too. Gotta be good for Hendrix, SRV, early Zeppelin type stuff. Free and the Allman Bros type tone would be other good examples. What else has a unique tone that fits that description? Just for classic rock, blues, bluesrock from the late 60s-70s, no metal or punk
you could get a MArshall 1987X PLexi Reissue, mod it for a master and get a 1936 cab(2x12) or 1960TV cAb(4x12). Need that master though, unless you want to crank a 50W all the way. also i reccoment getting the smaller cab since you don't need to much volume
Quote by rooster456
Guitars will bring girlfriends. Girlfriends won't bring guitars.

Because footstools are cool UG's Classical Guitarists
pm Marmoseti or Confusius to join
Quote by Moonglow
Should I go with a 2x12 or a 4x12?

well

1. If you want a plexi tone, get a plexi. the 1987X sounds better for some reason. More rich. You Must have a master installed

2. You need a smaller cab(2x12) and you should get one with bright clean speakers(100W rating min.) possibly Altec or Celestion Greenbacks, something not muddy. The cab is a crucial part of the Plexi tone, as is the speakers, so make sure you get good ones.

this guy
pretty much nailed the tone, you could ask what speakers he uses. Note he uses a smaller cab. Anyway good luck
Quote by rooster456
Guitars will bring girlfriends. Girlfriends won't bring guitars.

Because footstools are cool UG's Classical Guitarists
pm Marmoseti or Confusius to join
Page 1 of 2