What is going to happen when Les Paul dies? I dont think people realize how amazing, important, or awesome that guy is. Even though this is just a ramble, go and listen to some of his stuff if you dont already know. He's about 94 (no lie) and still rips. Made the first loop device, first real white jazz musician, its gonna suck when he's gone.

Any thoughts?
POOP
My Rig:(left out some stuff)
Peavey 6505 and Marshall 1960B cab
Epiphone Custom LP
Line6 PODXTLive
Electro-Harmonix Holy Grail reverb
Boss NS-2 Noise Supressor Tuner Super Chorus
MXR 6-band EQ
The Trick Thread
Les Paul is indeed the man, but his style of palying has been way out of vogue for more than 20 years already. He will be missed, but the world will go on.
Death to Ovation haters!
I think he is under-appreciated as a person, but when he dies I reckon every guitar-mag and publication is going to go crazy about him. He'll probably turn into another Dimebag, someone who nobody gave a shit about before he died, but as soon as he died he's as big as Jesus.
it will suck when he dies, but its not like hes doing/creating anything innovative in the guitar world anymore. he has already made his influence. it'll be a sad day when he dies, but it will not be the end.
Quote by Tom Martin
I think he is under-appreciated as a person, but when he dies I reckon every guitar-mag and publication is going to go crazy about him. He'll probably turn into another Dimebag, someone who nobody gave a shit about before he died, but as soon as he died he's as big as Jesus.

Nobody gives a shit about him?

His name is on like 25% of the electric guitars in the world...
Death to Ovation haters!
I love his work so yes i'll probably be pretty sad when he dies but life goes on
GREAT ODIN'S RAVEN
Quote by PatchworkMan
Nobody gives a shit about him?

His name is on like 25% of the electric guitars in the world...

Yes, but you'd be surprised how many people don't even know that Les Paul is a person.
I believe hes 91 or 92.. There was an article announcing his 91st not too long ago. Besides the point. yea thatll be a sad day man. He was a great jazz player.
My Rig:
Fender American Strat w/ texas specials
Martin DX1
Blueridge Br73
1968 Domino Californian
Stagg bass
2006 Fender hot rod deluxe
Gretsch Electromatic compact amp
among others
...i didnt know he was a person...i thought it was just a name of a guitar...but now that i think about it...that would be a pretty random name...
paco's pink tacos home of the dirty sanchez
Quote by Tom Martin
Yes, but you'd be surprised how many people don't even know that Les Paul is a person.

He's a PERSON?!?!

Yeah but I think I goota agree wit 'cha, eh?
Quote by Tom Martin

That's true I had a friend that thought my guitar was french and called "the paul"
My gear

Gibson Les Paul Standard Double Cut
Fender MIM Strat w/ Texas Specials
Marshall JCM 2000 - DSL 401
Fender FM25 DSP
Dunlop Original Cry-Baby
Boss DS-1

Cheap Fender Acoustic
Quote by Tom Martin

No one gave a shit about Dime before he died?,,, ,,,,,I smite you
Seems like nobody listens to him. I've never listened to him, i dont know anyone who listens to him. In these forums I always see people talk about celebrity guitarists, but never him.
"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"
Quote by Tom Martin

You retarded? Not only was Dimebag huge before he died, but Les Paul is even huger...
Originally Posted by Corwinoid
Metal doesn't hold hands, it gets head in the van before the show. Seriously.

Quote by rokket2005
No one gave a shit about Dime before he died?,,, ,,,,,I smite you

No... nobody did...
There was a small portion of Pantera fans who worshipped him, but as soon as he died he became this massive legend who everyone creams over.
When he dies all Les Pauls will be jacked up in price. Memorial models will be made for ridiculous sums of money. Gibson will die as a company.

And the world will lose a wonderful person.
High as tits
Quote by Tom Martin
No... nobody did...
There was a small portion of Pantera fans who worshipped him, but as soon as he died he became this massive legend who everyone creams over.

Dude, you're full of shit. Before he died, I had not met a single person who listened to even SOME metal (and most people listen to at least some) who didn't know about him and like him. Even people who dont listen to metal knew about stuff like Cowboys from Hell.

Quote by JC13
And sadly, nobody will worship you before, or after you die

QFT

Quote by JC13
And sadly, nobody will worship you before, or after you die

Most likely. Me and another 6 billion people on this planet.

Seriously, if you think that Dimebag was just as recognised before he died as he was after, then you need your head seeing to.
Quote by Xinlitik
Dude, you're full of shit. Before he died, I had not met a single person who listened to even SOME metal (and most people listen to at least some) who didn't know about him and like him. Even people who dont listen to metal knew about stuff like Cowboys from Hell.

You're missing my point.

Plenty of people had heard of him, plenty of people liked him. Do I disagree there? No.

Plenty of people thought he was an amazing metal guitarist and worshipped him for that... Do I disagree there? No. Plenty, but nowhere near as many as after he died.

But the second he died, it seems that every sucker thats ever laid eyes on a guitar and heard of metal thinks he's the best thing since sliced toast.

I think you're reading too much into what I'm saying, you can read back into what I've said here and find the point where I said I didn't like him or think he doesn't deserve praise. Feel free, read all my posts. I didn't say that. I think he's amazing, Pantera are still to this day one of my favourite bands. But when he died, all these so called "Pantera-fans" came out of the wood-work.
Quote by JC13
^Name 10 people on this site who think hes the greatest thing since sliced toast.

Well done, you've just asked me to dispense information about a load of people I've never met. Clever.
he'll be missed i can garuntee that
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
to tell the truth i thought he was already dead but i have a les paul and its AWESOME!!!!!!! lol
this thread is not a place to bicker n shit.

You have made LP angry
POOP
My Rig:(left out some stuff)
Peavey 6505 and Marshall 1960B cab
Epiphone Custom LP
Line6 PODXTLive
Electro-Harmonix Holy Grail reverb
Boss NS-2 Noise Supressor Tuner Super Chorus
MXR 6-band EQ
The Trick Thread
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
He was an idol in the metal community for years before he died.

Yes, but then he pops it and anyone whos anyone is calling him a legend. Do you even read?
People who call themselves guitarists and don't know who Les Paul is need to do some sort of pennance. All of you, sacrifice your Squiers to the guitar gods, now.
Death to Ovation haters!
That's like asking:

What's going to happen if Lennon dies?
What's going to happen if Dimebag dies?

One way or another, people will have a huge obsession of him after he dies.
Sent from my iPad.
When he dies, the magazines will all start sucking his cold dead dick and pretend that they've loved him all along and shown it in every issue. Then every retard that has stood near a guitar in the last six months will scrawl "RIP Les" on some article of clothing and pretend that they actually knew who he was. There will be a "Greatest Hits" or "Best Of" collection or eighteen released, and they will sell huge numbers until people realize that there was a reason no one has listened to Les Paul's music in thirty years.

Gibson will release a ridiculously high-priced "Les Paul Lives On" style guitar. It will be in a "Limited run," cost thousands of dollars, and not be any better than an LP Standard. Maybe a centerfold poster or two in Guitar World, a mention on your local classic rock station followed by an unbearable "Music of Les Marathon" that you just wish would end but listen to anyway because it's the thing to do.

Not that I'm cynical.
no
I don't want to think about it.

It'll be sad, but I think the world will keep moving.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Quote by Tom Martin
You're missing my point.

Plenty of people had heard of him, plenty of people liked him. Do I disagree there? No.

Plenty of people thought he was an amazing metal guitarist and worshipped him for that... Do I disagree there? No. Plenty, but nowhere near as many as after he died.

But the second he died, it seems that every sucker thats ever laid eyes on a guitar and heard of metal thinks he's the best thing since sliced toast.

I think you're reading too much into what I'm saying, you can read back into what I've said here and find the point where I said I didn't like him or think he doesn't deserve praise. Feel free, read all my posts. I didn't say that. I think he's amazing, Pantera are still to this day one of my favourite bands. But when he died, all these so called "Pantera-fans" came out of the wood-work.

I'm not reading into it too much at all.

To quote you, "Nobody gave a shit about [him]".

That directly contradicts what you later claim to agree with, "Plenty of people thought he was an amazing metal guitarist and worshipped him for that".

So, really, don't spout obnoxious over-generalizations without expecting to get called out on it.

Quote by bucky_2300
When he dies, the magazines will all start sucking his cold dead dick and pretend that they've loved him all along and shown it in every issue. Then every retard that has stood near a guitar in the last six months will scrawl "RIP Les" on some article of clothing and pretend that they actually knew who he was. There will be a "Greatest Hits" or "Best Of" collection or eighteen released, and they will sell huge numbers until people realize that there was a reason no one has listened to Les Paul's music in thirty years.

Gibson will release a ridiculously high-priced "Les Paul Lives On" style guitar. It will be in a "Limited run," cost thousands of dollars, and not be any better than an LP Standard. Maybe a centerfold poster or two in Guitar World, a mention on your local classic rock station followed by an unbearable "Music of Les Marathon" that you just wish would end but listen to anyway because it's the thing to do.

Not that I'm cynical.

+53263c324136 (yes, that c is meant to be there...)
Overdrive of the Autobot Transformers G1 Club

Van Halen, October 16th, All-state arena, Section 213 Row A
Les paul is NOT a real person!

google and wikipedia are your friends.

*use the search button* lol
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by bucky_2300

Not that I'm cynical.

sound's sexy
WHITE STRIPES

Quote by Placenta_07
I look at boobs and bums and stuff I get really horny and stuff.

PARTY OF SPECIAL THINGS TO DO
I just hate that the media will exploit and use his death for marketing and stuff, just to get some extra readers.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
I have to agree with the Dimebag thing. No one really even knew who he was save for a few people who actually followed Pantera and maybe Damageplan. Then he died and everyone was on his nuts, and now everyone who has never heard of him wants their own razorback guitar.
We spent a lifetime on the
Beaches of Normandy in vain

Quote by poopsmith666
oooh look at me, i'm clincher, internet tough guy

Quote by theBaartMan
When Nostradamus predicted badassery, he spoke of clincher09.

<//////> ~

UG's NIN fan club
Quote by robsta_65
this thread is not a place to bicker n shit.

You have made LP angry

LES PAUL SMASH!!!

I havent heard much of his stuff, but I have a small clip of him playing something. Hes a great player from what Ive seen. Ever seen that guitar he has called "the log" ? Pretty cool.
Quote by JC13
I like how you mentioned everything about him, except what he is most famous for..(The Les Paul guitar model if you couldn't figure it out)

I don't think that is what he is well known for. (It's the fact that he was the innovator for multi-track recordings, he made his own 8-track recording device, and that he is a brilliant guitarist, just in case you couldn't figure it out.)

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Les paul is NOT a real person!

google and wikipedia are your friends.

*use the search button* lol

Aha, stupidity!
Random Metal-X fact:

Metal-X now sponsors: Blood Culprit!

"Ass Fuckingly Loud"

\m/^_^\m/ New Songs Up!!! \m/^_^\m/
Last edited by Metal-X at Mar 22, 2007,