So I've had this perfect tone set up on my BD-2 for Gilmourish sounds with my old lifeless strings. I just switched yesterday, and the distortion seems alot muddier. Is that normal? Do different gauges affect that heavinesss as well?
Logos and websites for low prices - pm me

Quote by SideshowRaven24
wow dude way to think innovative. nice plan.
Quote by icon_player_5
that would be awesome if you saw it all the way through, good imagination

Fender Telecaster
60s Epi-Acoustic
Fender Pro-Junior
Boss BD-2
lighter gauges sound better for distortion but thicker sound better for cleans.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Gauges only deteremine
Thicker
More sustain less treble

Thinner
Less sustain, more treble.

nothing else.
"Guitarmen, wake up and pluck wire for sound, let 'em hear you play"
-Charlie Christian
"You have to give people something to dream on"
-Jimi Hendrix
"I try to make any guitar do what I want it to do"
-Slash
huh?... I always thought it was the opposite!!!??!
Schecter Hellraiser C-7
Ibanez VBT700
Ibanez SZ320
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Crafter D8/N
Peavey Transtube Bandit 112
Peavey Grind Bass 5 BXP NTB
Dunlop Dimebag Crybaby
New strings sound more "metallic" and this can have either a slight effect on your tone (if you use none or a few pedals) or a severe effect(if you use more than three pedals). After a few days of constant playing the problem will wear off
Quote by JDawg4098
thick = Bassy blues or classic rock
Thin = screamy trebly metal

which is funny cos back in the day, guys like jimmy page and eric clapton used to buy a packet of 9s then throw out the top string and put a .008 banjo string on for the high e then string it from there
no way! the zakk wylde signatures are friggin' tanks and they sound so much more heavy than the sliky's i used to play on...
"You take the blue pill , the story ends here, you wake up and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill you stay in wonderland and I'll show you just how deep the rabbit hole goes."
- Morpheus

#3 of Tom Cruise Scares me club.
On the other hand SRV used a 13 guage top E, and i heard of one of the other famous bluesmen using a 15 top E.

Thick strings = blues.

An yes, eveyone knows Zakk Wylde uses ridiculously high guage strings, .60 bottom E anyone?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.