Which guitar is better for a satriani tone an Ibanez SZ prestige or an RGA prestige?
Quote by masterk1818
satriani does use ibanzes's so i would assume that the sz would be better

what the **** the RGA is a ibanez too!

anyway i would use the RGA because it has better fret access
Epiphone Les Paul Classic
Marshall MG100DFX *SOLD* REPLACED WITH PEAVEY CLASSIC 30
Boss GT-8
Breedlove AD/25 SR Plus

I'm TOOcool for sigs
JS 1200 or JS 1000.. really hard to replicate Satch's tone.. many have come close.. but failed.. haha..

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7UxxuxS1ybU

watch that and you can get a better idea of his equipment.

Peace

Xedit: I would get an S470, like i already did. The body design is almost exactly matching the JS, the hardshell casing for an S470 and Js1200 is exactly the same. Plus, if youre lucky enough to get your hands on the S470BK, you might be able to get away with it lookin like a JS. But i dont think theyre on sale anymore. All the QDXM's have take over..
"I don't mind making sissy rock. I'll rock your ass sensitive style" - John Mayer
Last edited by xtopher_aaron at Mar 22, 2007,
The guitar's pretty moot - you play a JS1200 through the wrong amp and you'll be there till the apes take over trying to get a Satriani tone.

Any superstrat type with a floyd is ideal for playing his kind of music, and in his case having the Mo'Joe/Paf Joe pickups actually helps a fair bit. They have that midrange bump that is pretty much his signature sound, but without the right amp you're pissing in the wind. You can approximate the effect of the pickups pretty closely, either with an EQ pedal with the 1.6k ramped up or by using a wah pedal in a fixed position, and you want a middly, crunchy, bright, smooth overdriven sound. Not much reverb apart from the stuff like Always with me...on stuff like Satch Boogie his tone is pretty dry.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I would say that actually a lot of his tone is in his hands, I know people say this about eveyone but Satch has some of the best pick hand control in the world, and he has unbelievable legato technique so he gets as much tone out of the strings as possible, I'd say you'd be better off trying to imitate his playing style first, then go after his tone, learning to play like Satch will make you a much better player without ending up sounding exactly like him.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
^ Agreed
He's also mastered volumn dynamics and methods of altering his tone by picking different ways and areas of the string.

An Ibanez JS1200 through a Peavy JSX will get you the gear, but you still won't sound like Joe Satriani.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
Quote by steven seagull
The guitar's pretty moot - you play a JS1200 through the wrong amp and you'll be there till the apes take over trying to get a Satriani tone.

Any superstrat type with a floyd is ideal for playing his kind of music, and in his case having the Mo'Joe/Paf Joe pickups actually helps a fair bit. They have that midrange bump that is pretty much his signature sound, but without the right amp you're pissing in the wind. You can approximate the effect of the pickups pretty closely, either with an EQ pedal with the 1.6k ramped up or by using a wah pedal in a fixed position, and you want a middly, crunchy, bright, smooth overdriven sound. Not much reverb apart from the stuff like Always with me...on stuff like Satch Boogie his tone is pretty dry.

+1

and obviously you have to be able to play like him too, lol.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i have a JSX, with a similar guitar, and i cannot get his tone at all, it blows, but i can get a nice petrucci sound. go figure.

but if i added a chorus, an od, a wah, and probably a delay, i could get close.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
^ heh, that's what I didn't like about the JSX, I thought it sounded too satchy, lol.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?