So what does ACTUALLY happens when you pop your knuckles, fingers, etc.?

Now I've been looking this up recently and there are plenty of theories as to what happens when we "pop our joints"(lol) I have been having this thing in my toes where I constantly feel the need to pop them and if I don't they get very rigid. And I'm curious as to why this happens. I also have that same problem with my thumbs from guitar playing and massive amounts of Elder Scrolls IV. It worries me a tad bit but I know it's not a big deal.

So the main point of this is for insight on the sounds that come out of our joints, and why it happens.
The Walking Dead
its some kinda fluid like a lubricant that make bubbles and pops when you crack your knucks
well from what i know the joint where you crack get kinda fatter...i think
Epiphone Les Paul Classic
Marshall MG100DFX *SOLD* REPLACED WITH PEAVEY CLASSIC 30
Boss GT-8
Breedlove AD/25 SR Plus

I'm TOOcool for sigs
It pops little air and fluid (lubricant) bubbles in the joint which wears down the joint.
I'm a rockstar without the skills, fame, or income.

Washington Redskins
I've heard so many ideas on this topic, I'm unsure what to believe.

=/
Quote by stratson
its some kinda fluid like a lubricant that make bubbles and pops when you crack your knucks

That's what I've heard multiple times...There's a fluid in your joints to keep them lubricated and air bubbles will form in them making your joints stiff and when you try to pop your joints then you pop said air bubble thus releasing the pressure and your joint feels better.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by happytimeharry
And despite popular believe, popping your knuckles does not cause Arthritis.

True, there's pretty much only one side effect to knuckle cracking and thats big knuckles.
A/S/L?
Quote by happytimeharry
And despite popular believe, popping your knuckles does not cause Arthritis.
I knew Mackley was full of shit!
Quote by svzy
True, there's pretty much only one side effect to knuckle cracking and thats big knuckles.

Yeah I've also heard that if you do it chronically, then over time it will swell up.
The Walking Dead
You get AIDS and die
We spent a lifetime on the
Beaches of Normandy in vain

Quote by poopsmith666
oooh look at me, i'm clincher, internet tough guy

Quote by theBaartMan
When Nostradamus predicted badassery, he spoke of clincher09.

<//////> ~

UG's NIN fan club
^Lol yeah my knuckles are pretty damn swollen. It's all good though.