Alright well we register for classes tomorrow and I can't decide if I want to take German or Spanish.

First, German. Now, German is cool and all that but there is only 2 kids in it this year and they spend almost everyday talking in only English. However, I have a strong German heritage and my family plans on vacationing there sometime soon so know German would be useful. The only problem is that no one around here knows German and I would most likely end up forgetting it all rather soon just from lack of use. And the German class does not get to go on a trip to Germany.

Spanish. Well, the more popular of the classes. Lots of spanish speaking folk up in here North Dakota so I would use it quite often. Also, my uncle lives in California and I go down there usually once a year and he know Spanish. It would be easy to pass because my mexican friend knows Spanish and could help me pass with flying colors. Also, everytime I'm at his house I feel out of place because I never know what his mom is saying so I feel retarded. Also, Spanish class takes a class trip to Spain! Plus, my friend (the same one) wants me to go there with him for a vacation the summer after we graduate.

So Ug, what would you guys do?
my advice is don't ask questions like that on a guitar forum.
second tip, your german heritage has nothing to do with anything since you are american. and white.
I would say Spanish, you're actually going to use it. Spanish is useful to learn in America anyway.
Who dat?
2 kids in German wth? In my school German is much more popular.

But I so go for German.
I wish i knew german because i am of german heritage also, but like Anarion said, spanish is way more useful. I ended up taking it for five years and really has come in handy on quite a few occasions.
"Your just a monkey in a monkey suit, aww yeah!"-Piebald "Long Nights"
Quote by Leonheart
2 kids in German wth? In my school German is much more popular.

But I so go for German.

Eh, my school has maybe 400 kids elementary + high school. High school I'd say around 200. Also the only way we have the classes is through ITV.
Quote by anaoshak
my advice is don't ask questions like that on a guitar forum.
second tip, your german heritage has nothing to do with anything since you are american. and white.

I'd disagree. Whats wrong with learning one's heritage? In this day and age I'd be more proud of my German and Polish background rather than the fact that I'm an American. In any case, your family's history is unique ... why not get into it a bit? From a practical viewpoint Spanish might make more sense. However, lots of early scientific work and philosophy is in German. Kant, Freud, etc. Not to mention Bach and Beethoven, and look what sort of master musicians they turned out to be? I've had five years of German and I don't regret it. I guess either way good luck.
SPANISH!!! German killed my grades....
My Gear
Agile AL-3000 Prestige Slim Profile Neck
Schecter C-1 PLUS
Washburn WD18SW Solid-Wood Acoustic
Vox AD30vt with the VFS2 footswitch
Fender PT-100 tuner
Vox wah pedal
Spanish. Supposedly, you'll get hired easier if you have Spanish under your belt, considering how many Spanish-speaking immigrants we have here.
Why can't you just learn German at home?
Peace.
german, simply cuz spanish sucks...
"Social correctness has traditionally had nothing whatever to do with reason, logic, or physics. In fact, in England it is generally considered socially incorrect to know stuff or think about things."
-Douglas Adams
Quote by crazygluedmybut

Why can't you just learn German at home?

Too lazy. Although my Gramma and Grampa are pretty good at it since they both lived there but I don't see them very often so it makes it harder.
I'd say German. I find it much more challenging and look on the bright side: You could start a NSBM band and have some NS lyrics in German. Not that you should, but it's an idea. German just sounds so badass in music. Industrial Metal with German lyrics is pretty badass.
Last edited by Embodiment at Mar 23, 2007,