I've been thinking lately that I may have actually learned more (useful) information from TV, music, friends and family, then I have from actual school classes. I know school teaches you how to read, write, etc., etc. but does it really make your knowledge of life any broader? I mean, if anything don't you think school may actually diminish personal ambitions and self-knowledge?

I've learned quite a bit from just watching TV. Although some information isn't very vital, it still pertains useful. Such stations as the Discovery Channel, PBS & History channel (documentaries), even the occasional lesson from The Daily Show or the Colbert Report, have seemingly gave me just as much new knowledge as I've received in school.

Your thoughts?

(If this has been done before, I apologize.)
Yeah, there's a difference between learning what 2+2 is and learning how not to get shot by cab driver. Life is full of stuff to learn.
i think it's about equal. i learn a lot more in school now that it's interesting. next year's gonna be awesome. AP calculus, AP literature and composition, psychology, sociology, cultural anthropology, and contemporary american history. i gonna be so smurt.

but i also learn a lot from TV. like, did you know britney spears and justin timberlake are working on an album? omg.
#DTWD
Quote by primusfan
did you know britney spears and justin timberlake are working on an album? omg.

ZOMGZZZZ!!!1!eleven!!1! I'm definately buying that.
School is more important for specific things. Try working as an engineer for a company if all you do is sit around watching the Discovery Channel.

Television is for more general, contemporary knowledge. Sure, you learn about politics, but you don't learn how to be a politician and be successful. You learn how weapons and machines work, but you don't learn how to actually build them yourself.
i believe that institutionalised education kills natural curiosity
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
Quote by JuicyMango
School is more important for specific things. Try working as an engineer for a company if all you do is sit around watching the Discovery Channel.

Television is for more general, contemporary knowledge. Sure, you learn about politics, but you don't learn how to be a politician and be successful. You learn how weapons and machines work, but you don't learn how to actually build them yourself.

Yeah, good point. But then again, "How It's Made" on Discovery Channel shows you how to make a lot of stuff. haha.
Quote by Neogioh
Where did you learn motor skills and the majority of the English language? Real life.

School's only there to help you get a decent job instead of working fast food. You hardly get any 'life skills' from school.

From classes maybe not, but being at school and interacting with others teaches you life skills at the same time.
Quote by 1The_Trooper1
You still have your lefty and righty. Aren't they putting out anymore?
Quote by 6WS
Yeah, good point. But then again, "How It's Made" on Discovery Channel shows you how to make a lot of stuff. haha.

The Discovery Channel explains how circuits and programming work. But try writing a program on a damn Spartan Board using that as your only reference.
well, i really hate school , i mean i get sick of it really fast and it's just not for me. I beleive that, maybe our grammar or spelling isn't the best. But if people know what you mean, what's the point? We can read and write fairly decent, we know basic math operations. If people want to go farther in life let them, stop holding the rest of us back.
To a certain extent yes, But Im glad for my biology class so I could learn the concept of evolution and understand life as we know it a little bit better. But after that, its really useless.....Like when you get into deep math like cosine and sine, I really think that stuff is useless.

Funny tho, I have learned lots about religion just from visiting and discussing in the religion thread we have here at UG. I don't think I could of ever learned as much as I did in that thread than anywhere else outside of school, or even in school for that matter.

So thread starter, schools have there purposes, But I really think life's lessons are more important that actual academics.
Quote by Meths

Obviously I'm biased towards the correct point of view. What kind of retard isn't?

Grade school is designed more to teach you basics of learning... not to teach you everything you need to know about the world.

The general idea is to get you to learn how to manage a variety of knowledge coming in at once as well as manage your time to do things like homework.

They say that your cognitive intelligence (ability to learn new material) peaks at age 20 [just found this out today from a professor of mine]... so eat up all the knowledge you can early on, no matter where the source is.
I've dropped out of every school I've been in. from preschool to college. I wonder what that says about me. lacking commitment? I don't think so. then again, my city has one of the worst school systems. and I was lucky enough to go to all of the "bad schools," for recent immigrants and remedial students. it's very ironic, considering my SAT and ACT scores with out having a high school diploma (they lost it in the mail...)