So I've been debating which of these two guitars would suit me better. I've played both of them at guitar center, be it through a shitty peavey valveking amp, but both through the same amp nonetheless.
Gibson flying V:
I absolutely love the 500T and 496R pickups and would have to have them in the guitar I get. It was pretty comfortable, though the neck seemed a bit big for me. I played the white with the ebony fretboard, which I like. Though what really got me was that the guitar itself looked poorly built. The winding around the pickups was frayed, the binding seemed off, and though it seemed built like a rock, these little nuances kind of deterred me from it, though the tone is exactly what I want.
Jackson Rhoads:
I like the looks of this guitar significantly more, though I didn't have a strap when testing either of the guitars, this one seemed comfortable to play sitting. The pickups on it were disappointing - they didn't seem nearly as crunchy or have as much gain as the gibson's. I could live with the rosewood fretboard, though I prefer ebony. The quality control on the Jackson seemed higher, but if I'd rather it be mahogany instead of alder, and I'm unsure how well the 500T and 496R would sound in this guitar if I were to switch them out.

I've also gained a new respect for schecter, but couldn't find a hellraiser to try out, and I wasn't too impressed with the ibanez guitars there, though I do like the AANJ, but prefer neck through. And ESPs are impossible to find around where I live, so I can't try out a Jeff Hanneman model or M-1000.

So for straight-up metal, excellent fret access, quality, and overall value, which guitar is better for me?
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.
Last edited by lespaulrocks39 at Mar 23, 2007,
Quote by lespaulrocks39
So I've been debating which of these two guitars would suit me better. I've played both of them at guitar center, be it through a shitty peavey valveking amp, but both through the same amp nonetheless.
Gibson flying V:
I absolutely love the 500T and 496R pickups and would have to have them in the guitar I get. It was pretty comfortable, though the neck seemed a bit big for me. I played the white with the ebony fretboard, which I like. Though what really got me was that the guitar itself looked poorly built. The winding around the pickups was frayed, the binding seemed off, and though it seemed built like a rock, these little nuances kind of deterred me from it, though the tone is exactly what I want.
Jackson Rhoads:
I like the looks of this guitar significantly more, though I didn't have a strap when testing either of the guitars, this one seemed comfortable to play sitting. The pickups on it were disappointing - they didn't seem nearly as crunchy or have as much gain as the gibson's. I could live with the rosewood fretboard, though I prefer ebony. The quality control on the Jackson seemed higher, but if I'd rather it be mahogany instead of alder, and I'm unsure how well the 500T and 496R would sound in this guitar if I were to switch them out.

I've also gained a new respect for schecter, but couldn't find a hellraiser to try out, and I wasn't too impressed with the ibanez guitars there, though I do like the AANJ, but prefer neck through. And ESPs are impossible to find around where I live, so I can't try out a Jeff Hanneman model or M-1000.

So for straight-up metal, excellent fret access, quality, and overall value, which guitar is better for me?

RR5
well ill probly get shit for my opinion but i would go with the Jackson
if you want some crunchyness then play with a grunge pedal er distorion pedal those will add enough crunch for anyones taste believe me
I'd recommend the RR5. Mostly because I plan to get one sometime next week (finally got me some cash saved up).

You can always switch out the pickups in the RR5.
I just see the Jackson as more of the 'straight up metal' guitar over the Gibson.
Spiral Out
I was thinking it would probably be the jackson. I'll try out the tb4's, though I'd probably switch em out with gibsons eventually. I've been really interested in the schecter hellraiser, and the jeff loomis model (if I could find it anywhere), does anyone know much about these? I love the V style of the jackson, though I'd be getting it more for fret access rather than looks, and it seems the schecters look to have about the same quality as ltd deluxe, but with a lower price.
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
But what worries me is the body is alder, rather than mahogany. I thought I could turn my strat into a more metal guitar, but it doesn't hold a candle as far as tone goes compared to my two other guitars, which are mahogany.
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
Quote by lespaulrocks39
But what worries me is the body is alder, rather than mahogany. I thought I could turn my strat into a more metal guitar, but it doesn't hold a candle as far as tone goes compared to my two other guitars, which are mahogany.

Yea, if you really wanted a darker tone... like mahogany, you could swap the pickups for a set of Duncan Distortions (I think they are pretty dark)... or any dark pickup.

I am a huge proponent of mahogany... my Ibanez is mahogany and I love the rich, full, deep growling metal madness that can erupt from it like crazy death fire from hell... but I went bought an alder Jackson because a) alder is bright and sharp and b) to add more variations of tone to my guitar arsenal.

So since you already have two mahogany guitars... get an alder one.
Alder is great for metal just put pickups with more bass then treble e.g. bareknuckle warpig, dimarzio tonezone and dimarzio super distortion.
My Gear
Edwards E-LP-98LTC
Ibanez RG 321 MH
Jackson DK2M with tonezone
Mesa Mark III
Tech 21 Trademark 10
I've got a dimarzio super distortion in my mim strat, and it is way too fat. I've tried it on three different amps and messed with my settings, and it still sounds fat. Not a chunky, chugga chugga fat, but a saggy, undefined fat. And I don't like it, especially since I was aiming for a maiden tone with it. That jeff loomis model seems more and more appealing by the minute...
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
Go for the gibson flying v, i own one and i love how crunchy it sounds when you palm mute the power chords
If I were you I'd go for the RR5 I like the look of it better to be honest. I've got an RR3 and its a really nice guitar the necks are great on them, and they sound awesome I think they use the same pickups.