I have wanted a Rickenbacker for quite a while now and I was prepared to save up $1000 to buy one. However, the price went up to over $1200 recently and I have decided that I shouldn’t spend that much on a single guitar right now. I’m a college student and I also want to start putting a project studio together over the next couple of years so I’ll probably have to wait until after college to get the Ric.

I would still like another guitar to tide me over until then though. I have one guitar with humbuckers and one with P-90’s so I think that I’m gonna get a strat next. My amp is a Peavey Classic 50 and I’ll be using the guitar for garage rock, punk and blues.

My budget will be about $700 and I am willing to go used but I’d like to spend less if possible.

As long as the guitar has single coils the pickups don’t matter much seeing as I’ll probably swap them out eventually. The most important thing for me is the neck shape, I don’t want something thin or flat. I would prefer a V profile but a U or nicely rounded C would be okay as well. So far I’m leaning toward the MIM Classic 50’s because I liked the neck shape a lot when I played it, but I feel like I’d be spending an extra $200 just for the neck profile so I‘d like to see what else is available. I’ve noticed people saying good things about Carvins and G&L, can anybody tell me what their necks are like?

I’m open to any suggestions if you think that another kind of guitar would be better for me.

Last bit- the MIM Mustang has caught my eye, any insight on it would be appreciated because I haven’t seen it in any shops.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Maybe a MIM and swap the pickups. But if you dont like the neck you could probably get a V neck MIA. I doubt u could find a used clapton for $700 but they have V necks you could try ebay ive seen one go for like $800 once. the Fender Clapton Strat is easly the best guitar ive ever owned.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
For the money, I would get an American Strat. The V neck on those are AMAZING. For the kind of music you play, that would probably be a perfect addition to your arsenal. But, American strats are around $900 new. But you would most likely be very happy with it. And if you want humbucker tone, get a SD Hot Rails, and slap it into the bridge.
Thanks for the replies-
I thought that the cheapest American's with v necks were the deluxes, and aren't those like $1200? I'll keep an eye out for some used ones though, an American would be really nice. And if I come across a reasonably priced Clapton I'll be sure to check it out, they look awesome.

Edit: Yeah, I'm not really a fan of the necks on the standards
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Last edited by yeahyeah at Mar 23, 2007,
dude no get a Parker Nitefly! they are so awesome. I've always wanted one but could never afford it. thats my dream guitar

a good used one of course, that will run you about 600-700.
^What do the Niteflys sound like? The telecaster-ish one looks cool, anybody know what kind of neck it has? I don't know if its really my style but it looks pretty interesting.

haha, this thread is all May 06ers
Quote by CowsWithGuns
Bump, and has anyone played a Jimmie Vaughan Strat, I think I'm gonna try to find one to test. And I really would like to hear about the Carvin Bolt too

Thanks
Quote by CowsWithGuns
I recently got a Fender Deluxe Players strat, beautiful guitar. Its $600 USD, sounds great. Even comes with noiseless pickups, and a coil tap to activate the bridge in pickups 4 and 5, for 7 different pickup combinations.
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

Japanese Fenders, MIM Classic Fenders, MIM Fenders, Highway One series, used American ones etc.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
if your leaning towards the classic '50's, look at the classic players '50's. they have vintage american pickups, with the middle pickup reverse wound to cancel hum. it also has a two-point tremolo.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
If you want a strat with a V shaped neck, then you could go for the fender classic players custom shop designed 50's stratocaster, it does have a soft V-shaped neck and looks really nice! I guess the price is a bit above your budget, but you could probably bargain and get it for less.

As a plan B, couldn't you just get an ordinary standard strat and then change the neck or get some kind of neck modification, should be possible
You are currently reading my sig.

"Ah yeah, ah yeah, ah, ah, ah. Ah yeah, ah yeah, ah, ah, ah." - Robert Plant
Last edited by Der Bomber at Mar 23, 2007,
Quote by Der Bomber
If you want a strat with a V shaped neck, then you could go for the fender classic players custom shop designed 50's stratocaster, it does have a soft V-shaped neck and looks really nice! I guess the price is a bit above your budget, but you could probably bargain and get it for less.

As a plan B, couldn't you just get an ordinary standard strat and then change the neck or get some kind of neck modification, should be possible

yeah, its easier to get the classic PLAYER'S '50's because its better quality. im planning on a classic players 50s or 60s after i get my blues junior.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
o got my brand new american deluxe v-neck strat at guitar center for 760 usd
part of their green tag
Quote by beeboshain
marshall mg100dfx some people slay but i love it, think its a good amp for the money and you cant go wrong with marshall...its english!
Quote by libskate44
o got my brand new american deluxe v-neck strat at guitar center for 760 usd
part of their green tag

damn you
Thanks for suggestions everyone, I'm gonna call around to see who has those in stock and I'll check them out. I'll have to think going with the standard+ new neck option too, I hadn't really considered doing that.
Here are the ones I'm going to try to find for a demo:
Classic 50's (I've tried one already but its been awhile)
Classic Player 50's
American Deluxe w/ v neck
Jimmie Vaughan sig
Deluxe Player's

And I'm still looking for info about the Carvin or any other strat-style guitars with v necks.

-Thanks
Quote by CowsWithGuns
i wont let you get the deluxe players it blows
if looks are the deciding factor then get it but you are much better off getting a standard and upgrading it or save up more for sumthing a little nicer
edit: if you have any questions about the amercan deluxe v just ask or pm me
Quote by beeboshain
marshall mg100dfx some people slay but i love it, think its a good amp for the money and you cant go wrong with marshall...its english!
thanks man, I don't really care about the way it looks, just the neck.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
Hopefully this is relevant, but about a year ago I remember saying I would never own a strat, and now I have a 96 mim strat used for $280 and I probably play it the most out of all my guitars. Long story short, you can't really go wrong with a fender.
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.
You could defeinately get a decent used American strat for $700 if you take some time and look for sellers in you area. If you don't want to go that route the Highway One is amazing imo. TBH its the only Fender I really fell in love with and I would like to buy it soon but I need an acoustic first.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Member #2 of the Coheed and Cambria fanclub, PM dementedpuppy to join.
Jimmy Vaughan strat has a V-neck and it's 600 new if you look around.
It's actually my favorite strat that I've ever played. Guitar Center keeps one or two on the rack. You could go play one there.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Jimmie-Vaughan-Signature-TexMex-Strat-Electric-Guitar?sku=510057&src=3SOSWXXA

The tex-mex pickups do NOT need replacing either. One of the best stock strats I've ever played.
Ibanez ARC300DVS plugged into a Valve Jr. with a 1x12 custom Ear Candy cab and a blues driver. (Too many guitars to list.)

My Soundclick
Quote by lespaulrocks39
Hopefully this is relevant, but about a year ago I remember saying I would never own a strat, and now I have a 96 mim strat used for $280 and I probably play it the most out of all my guitars. Long story short, you can't really go wrong with a fender.

Haha, that's exactly how I used to be. I swore that I would never own a strat because they were too generic. Yeah, I was pretty stupid.
Quote by smoke63b
Jimmy Vaughan strat has a V-neck and it's 600 new if you look around.
It's actually my favorite strat that I've ever played. Guitar Center keeps one or two on the rack. You could go play one there.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Jimmie-Vaughan-Signature-TexMex-Strat-Electric-Guitar?sku=510057&src=3SOSWXXA

The tex-mex pickups do NOT need replacing either. One of the best stock strats I've ever played.

Sweet! That's exactly what I was hoping to hear, I'm really looking forward to trying that one
Quote by libskate44

I've heard that those were great but unless I got a ridiculously good deal on one I'd rather go with a v neck. I feel like such a picky little bitch about the v neck thing
Quote by CowsWithGuns
Last edited by yeahyeah at Mar 24, 2007,
i have to agree the v-neck is soooo much nicer than C-neck
that extra area to hold on to makes it that much more comfortable
seems like you are best off with the jimmie vaughan
but remember with any artist signature equipment you are paying more for the name
Quote by beeboshain
the mustang is simply amazing... it plays nearly the same as the classic 50's strat, but the frets are a bit smaller (as in scale length)...

it sounded orgasmic when just clean with out the phase switch on through a tube... with the phase switch on it gave a more unique sound... it had surprisingly little "noise from the pick ups"... and even sounded good with distortion... but i dont think it could easily handle metal... but for everything else its a great guitar...

im going to pick on of these up

but i also want a standard strat with blue-silver-red lace sensors... but i am leaning towards the mustang (sorry for my life story haha)
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158