Could someone explain the pro's and cons of both and which ones are better out of the 800, 900 and 2000?

Thanks heaps
DSL has more gain than the TSL and the TSL is quite muddy imo
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
i think the TSL has more gain actually. DSL is better though tonally.
UG Profile

- Ibanez S470DX
- Orange Rockerverb 50 head
- Orange PPC212
- MXR Micro Amp
- CryBaby Wah

Member of the Matt Bellamy > Shred Club! PM Aidy Damage or Metallica708 to join!
Member Of The Orange Revolution Club
DSL is better all around. the TSL just seems to have different voicings since it has the added channel.
1993 Jackson Dinky Professional XL (shred)
Modified Squier Strat (blues and anything)
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Dunlop Original Crybaby GCB-95
imo TSL is alot less widespread than the DSL, for the reason that the DSL is alot better.
I have a JCM2000 TSL. I like my TSL.

I'd much rather have my 2x12 combo, than the DSL401 1x12 combo honestly.
Quote by Yngwi3
DSL has more gain than the TSL and the TSL is quite muddy imo

acctually when i played them both back to back through same cab. i though the tsl`s 3rd channel had more gain than the dsls gain. Id say the tsl sounds realllydry and sterile to rather than muddy. Dsls are IMHO better
DSL is much better lol but im biased
ESP Explorer Custom Shop
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
Marshall 1960 A cab
Engl Powerball
Genz Benz G-flex
Washburn Dime 3 custom shop..wanna buy it??
Quote by evilslapmonkey
DSL is much better lol but im biased

+1, and I'm not biased.
^_^
I don't get it. I thought the TSL was just the DSL with an exta channel, I mean if the settings on the amp are the same and you are playing through the same cab won't the 2 sound identical normally????
i love my TSL, only gripe i have is that i cant control the FX loop on the Crunch channel, its shared with the Gain channel, but i love the Gain channel, and have no issues getting a warm tone from it, with a light touch of chorus it sounds awsome. especially with the mids scooped. sounds best through the 1960A 4x12 cab!
Pro Series DK2M Dinky(Snow White)
Two Roland KC-550s(Combined for Stereo)
PODxtLive into KC-550s
SHURE SM-57
JCM800

I'd rather use a JCM800 with OD than use the crappy clean of DSL/TSL
Gear:
Gibson SG '61 RI
Fender MIJ 62RI Tele
PRS Singlecut SE
Epiphone Sheraton II
Ibanez AEG10NT
Orange Rocker 30
Blackstar HT5C
Quote by costa
I don't get it. I thought the TSL was just the DSL with an exta channel, I mean if the settings on the amp are the same and you are playing through the same cab won't the 2 sound identical normally????

No - the TSL is actually a completely different preAMP. The DSLs were trying to capture the tone of the old 1959 Super Lead Plexi and the JCM 800 and put them in one amp with an addition of more gain capability and a built-in reverb. The TSL is a completely different Amp with it's own tonal capabilities. You can achieve some of the same sounds with the TSL as you can with the DSL - they both use the same tubes and basically the same electronics.

The TSL does, however, offer a lot more versatility and still has that classic Marshall tone. I definately wouldn't describe it as "muddy" - they sound great to me and can be very bright. They can go from crystal clear to heavy metal (though not so much death metal/black metal). You just have to take the time to dial them in.

I don't think the DSL is better or worse tonally, they both have their high and low points - it just depends on what you're looking for.

The original JCM 800's are still the best, and that's what I'll be using for my stage amp(s).
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
Last edited by Guitartist at Mar 28, 2007,
Quote by KazVH100R
JCM800

I'd rather use a JCM800 with OD than use the crappy clean of DSL/TSL

DSL 50 watt head has great cleans. To the thread starter.. JCM800's are awesome amps, I personally dont like the 900's as much as the DSL 50 watt heads. The TSL amps just suck.. i dont know why, but they are blah. Youd think that a TSL basically being a DSL with an extra channel, would make 2 channels sound like a DSL.. and have an extra channel for a heavier sound.. but it just isnt so. The TSL is too muddy sounding.
Gear:
Washburn Guitars
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 50 Head
Marshall 1960 Lead Slant Cab (4 x 12's)
Boss SD-1
Boss CE-1
Boss GT-8 Multi-Effects
Electro-Harmonix Little Big Muff

Bandmix Profile:
http://bandmix.ca/profile6154.html
Quote by Guitartist
No - the TSL is actually a completely different preAMP. The DSLs were trying to capture the tone of the old 1959 Super Lead Plexi and the JCM 800 and put them in one amp with an addition of more gain capability and a built-in reverb. The TSL is a completely different Amp with it's own tonal capabilities. You can achieve some of the same sounds with the TSL as you can with the DSL - they both use the same tubes and basically the same electronics.

The TSL does, however, offer a lot more versatility and still has that classic Marshall tone. I definately wouldn't describe it as "muddy" - they sound great to me and can be very bright. They can go from crystal clear to heavy metal (though not so much death metal/black metal). You just have to take the time to dial them in.

I don't think the DSL is better or worse tonally, they both have their high and low points - it just depends on what you're looking for.

The original JCM 800's are still the best, and that's what I'll be using for my stage amp(s).

thank you thank you thank you i never understood any on that