I've recorded four new tracks, and I want to release them some time soon. I'm having a dilemma on whether to release these four tracks as an EP (Cognitive Dissonance) or record some more material and make it into a full blown album. I don't want to include songs that I've released previously as an EP in an album, though I have been tempted to get the tracks from my first EP (Long Face) and my second (Lots of Me) as an album. I know its stupid, two EP's but no album, but that's what so great about being a self produced artist: the complete control over your career. So, what's a guy to do? Hoohoo..
^_^
Last edited by nephi at Mar 26, 2007,
I say make an album, I don't even buy EPs.

Just out of interest, are you signed to a label that lets you do that, or are you doing everything yourself?
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Well, if you're just doing it yourself, mix them up into a full album

If you've released them places and people have bought them, don't add the other one in, and add the one you have now into a full album.
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
elongate the songs and make 'em into an album
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
There's some pretty terrible advice in this thread. My question for you is this:

What makes you think people will buy your album if they won't buy 4 of your best songs? Start minimal and go from there. You can also use the 4 song EP as a demo to send to different types of companies you may need. These could include booking agents, publishing agencies, publicity, etc. Please make sure the 4 songs that go on that EP are your best.

I wouldn't worry about re-releasing material into a full album later. MANY artists do it and many of those artists include those who released the EP on their own, then got signed and then made the full album. Just ask John Mayer next time you talk to him.

I've noticed that the bands in my area who release full albums (8 songs or more) without releasing an EP first usually do the worst. What you could also do is have the 4 song EP. Then only put 2 of those songs on your myspace. With the other songs on the myspace, you can change songs every other week to keep things fresh and people come back.
I was once heavily prominent on these forums from 2004-2007, let's see how long I can stay now that I'm back.
Quote by whalepudding
I say make an album, I don't even buy EPs.

Just out of interest, are you signed to a label that lets you do that, or are you doing everything yourself?

Nope, recorded it myself. It's pretty hard to get publicity, but the freedom is sweet.. I'm NEVER going to sign..

However, I think even I don't believe that. Don't quote me on that.
^_^
Last edited by nephi at Mar 23, 2007,
Quote by Dutch_Apples
There's some pretty terrible advice in this thread. My question for you is this:

What makes you think people will buy your album if they won't buy 4 of your best songs? Start minimal and go from there. You can also use the 4 song EP as a demo to send to different types of companies you may need. These could include booking agents, publishing agencies, publicity, etc. Please make sure the 4 songs that go on that EP are your best.

I wouldn't worry about re-releasing material into a full album later. MANY artists do it and many of those artists include those who released the EP on their own, then got signed and then made the full album. Just ask John Mayer next time you talk to him.

I've noticed that the bands in my area who release full albums (8 songs or more) without releasing an EP first usually do the worst. What you could also do is have the 4 song EP. Then only put 2 of those songs on your myspace. With the other songs on the myspace, you can change songs every other week to keep things fresh and people come back.

Well, my "Long Face" EP sold pretty well, but not as well as the second, but then again, I just released it last year. It's just that when I've got a few songs, I just can't wait to release them.
^_^
Nephi? You're really Neps? So you're a UGer!

I've been waiting for you to release some of your material with Powder. What's taking so long? And, if you don't mind my asking, why did Red Winter break up? It was Frash, wasn't it? You do read mags, do you? In Jam!On, Frash called you a "selfish bastard." But I guess you know that.
This is a signature.
Frash WAS a bastard. He never listened to any of us, and he drove us nuts with his drug problem. I was the first to approach him about it. He was pretty bitter about that.

By the way, about Powder, I haven't really been able to give it that much attention. I've been more busy recording my solo tracks. And when I do that, I do everything myself, so its pretty tedious. I do plan on releasing a Powder album by December.

(glad to see some Filipinos from the underground here.. Astig!)
^_^
Nephi, can I get your cellphone number? You're in Metro Manila right now, right?
Please, I don't think this forum is the right place for things like that, pasensya na.. And I value my privacy. That's why I love UG so much. (and I use my real name ) But honestly, sorry, no. You can PM me here if you want.

Hey! Someone! This isn't the Nephi Malit thread.. I need some advice.. By the way, Dutch Apples, thanks for the advice. However, I'm not really for popularity. I sell to a relatively closed circle of freaks.. (like these two above ) What do you think?
^_^
Hey, you sell more than you think. My metalhead cousins all the way North in the Ilocos Region listen to you. One mp3 goes a long way.

My girlfriend loved the opening riff on "Ghost Girl" by the way. What's it about? A really bad b*tch?
This is a signature.
Quote by smackaroo
I think its about his ex.

More or less.

Hey, that's beside the point. Should I release the these four songs as "Cognitive Dissonance," or should I record, say six more songs and make it ten for an album?
^_^
Release them. Now. I want to hear what crazy stuff you've come up with this time. Let's see if this tops Lots of Me.
Last edited by smackaroo at Mar 26, 2007,
Quote by smackaroo
Release them. Now. I want to hear what crazy stuff you've come up with this time. Let's see if this tops Lots of Me.

Oh, trust me, it will.

I think.
^_^
Guys, do you think eight songs for an album is enough?
^_^
Yeah, as long as they're not really short songs. If they're around 5-7 minutes each, or more, it'd be fine.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
goodness, should I include this 14:57 instrumental track.. I used a guitar, a violin, and a synthesizer. It's decent, but i wonder if an instrumental track would fit in..
^_^
allright.. but just this one.. can't think of a title though. Meybe I can call it Cognitive Dissonance. None of the songs has that title, but I was about to release the first four as an EP with that title. I guess I'll be releasing the album with the same title as the instrumental track.
^_^
Quote by PXi
call it a bonus track

hehe.. that's a good idea.
^_^
try the album, you might surprise yourself
www.myspace.com/symmetry4321

Quote by RockerPseudonym
I think stone is either 7 or 14 lbs

Edit I'm gonna go with 14 because it's rather unlikely you're 56 pounds

Quote by evening_crow
sounds like....u need a...

BAND MEETING!!!
hheh.. what a waste.. Cognitive Dissonance would be a perfect title for both the album and the instrumental track..
^_^
Quote by nephi
hheh.. what a waste.. Cognitive Dissonance would be a perfect title for both the album and the instrumental track..

Agreed. Sounds very cool.
Quote by Kensai
Because 14 yr olds + teh internetz = liez

I made that up in math class.

Quote by Random Youtube Kid
Michael Romeo- You think he plays fast? You should watch him eat cream pies.
Quote by nephi

again agreed
www.myspace.com/symmetry4321

Quote by RockerPseudonym
I think stone is either 7 or 14 lbs

Edit I'm gonna go with 14 because it's rather unlikely you're 56 pounds

Quote by evening_crow
sounds like....u need a...

BAND MEETING!!!
I love being a psych major. You can get away with making an EP with a mental disorder as a theme.
^_^
Yeah.. But me and my buddies are waiting for an album by you with Powder. Dude, your doom rocks. What made you shift? Back when you were in Red Winter you always shredded your heart out, totally thrash. I bought both Red Winter albums, and I think they were totally cool. Then suddenly you're into doom. Sudden realization?
This is a signature.
Well, I still love thrash. But i totally adore doom. I really loved Black Sabbath's "War Pigs.." That song is one of the main reasons I formed Powder. The intro, kind makes me imagine something being pounded into.. well.. Powder.

I wouldn't be so optimistic about releasing material with Powder just yet. Maybe some time in December.
^_^
December? Ok.. We can wait. Any gigs some time soon? Do you still play on those regular "cult" death/doom gigs in QC?
This is a signature.
ok, if you've released all this stuff with in the past year, just wait untill you write a few more songs and really really spend your time and record the full length. Its good to have a few EPs as testing waters and stuff, make sure you still have your first two pressed and stuff as well.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Takamine G340SC
Epiphone G 310
Been a while.. I got banned.. In QC? Well, not that much any more. Been busy studying.
^_^