How do you treble pick? is there an easier way to do it? i know how its just i cant get a constant rhythm going, im using a medium pick.
I'm not sure if this is right but...i find it easier to use my whole arm to move the pick, not the wrist or fingers. Keep wrist and forearm straight. Kinda like if there was a brace there.
If your parents never had children, chances are, you wont either.

Member #2 of Kerry/Edwards fanclub
This is something that I'm working on recently. The key is to start slow and simple...really simple. Its boring, but it will isolate the technique so you can get a feel for it. I do the following exercise right now and its really helping isolate the proper technique:

high e-string ----0-0-0-0-5-5-5-5-7-7-7-7-8-8-8-8-0-0-0-0-7-7-7-7-8-8-8-8-10-10-10-10----
I repeat this over and over for about an hour starting slow and working up to where I can barely play it cleanly. When my hand starts to cramp, I play some chords for a minute or two and then go back to a medium speed and start working my way up again. Keep the pick at an angle to the string and as close to the string as possible...that is, when you downstroke and upstroke, try to minimize your movement to only that which is required to sound the note. I was watching a video of Yngwie the other day and I noticed that he anchors his pinky on the pick-guard. I always thought that this was a no-no, but if Yngwie does it....

Maybe this is old news to you, maybe not, hope it helps.
hmm... i never heard of anchorin your pinky on the pickguard as a no no... i play that too... ironically because of yngwie. but afrika's technique is the same way i do it, and it works out fine for me, i use the same excersie, but on my g string, so i can get used to not hittin strings above or below the one im playing, and then ill start moving around strings as a feel like it once you get up to speed. tremolo picking = ftw
MY RIG:

Gibson Explorer '73 reissue, Classic White
Schecter Blackjack S1
Crate Stack

Thats noise violation in a box!
Quote by deadkenedy
I'm not sure if this is right but...i find it easier to use my whole arm to move the pick, not the wrist or fingers. Keep wrist and forearm straight. Kinda like if there was a brace there.

Phil Colin of Def Leppard plays that way, I saw him live a couple years ago and he was playing insanely fast and accurate. I always thought to play fast you had to go from the wrist. But apparently, it works for Phil. He can shred.
Quote by DaveDaThrasha
hmm... i never heard of anchorin your pinky on the pickguard as a no no... i play that too... ironically because of yngwie. but afrika's technique is the same way i do it, and it works out fine for me, i use the same excersie, but on my g string, so i can get used to not hittin strings above or below the one im playing, and then ill start moving around strings as a feel like it once you get up to speed. tremolo picking = ftw

That's a good idea about using the g-string. I'm gonna start that tonight.
Anchoring is a no-no, just because someone else does it and just happens to be fast does not make it a good thing, tonnes of good players anchor but all the very best, and by that I mean the best of the best (Paul Gilbert ftw!) don't.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Diamond Dave
well what youre after is actually called tremolo picking, angle the pick slightly, start slow and build up pace

Wait your supposed to angle the pick? I thought i was the only one that did that and i thought it was poor technique, ive been trying to fix it for like a week...
Quote by toddpens8771
Wait your supposed to angle the pick? I thought i was the only one that did that and i thought it was poor technique, ive been trying to fix it for like a week...

At an angle, the pick just slides over the string and makes it easier on your wrist and playing ability. Paul Gilbert shows that in some instructional vids, been doing it ever since

And for tremolo picking practice, I just played the intro to "The Worst is Yet to Come" by Still Remains over and over.
most players angle their pick when playing fast, Rusty Cooley, Francesco Fareri, John Petrucci...I'm pretty sure Vai does and of course Paul Gilbert...ummm...and me?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Don't listen to what deadkenedy said: it is possible to tremelo pick from the arm only but it can really hurt your elbow since it is not made for quick tiny movements, unlike the wrist. And regardless, the arm is better suited for moving the hand from string to string while the wrist does the picking motion. It's the much more accepted technique
There is no sense in starting out learning it the wrong way: practice with JUST moving your wrist and not your arm to put the motion in the pick from now on
Quote by cloud041089

And for tremolo picking practice, I just played the intro to "The Worst is Yet to Come" by Still Remains over and over.

Lol that was the first tremolo picking song I ever learned too and still use to practice. Then I picked up Forever by as i lay dying. Good times man.
Rig:
Schecter Hellraiser FR
Peavey 6505 Head
Vader 4x12
BBE 482

DOD EQ
Boss NS-2