I have a Jackson Dinky, I have been working on setting it up and am pleased w/ my results. The action is good, I have no buzzing anywhere, the only problem I have is that above the 12th fret my sustain is not good. Is there something I can do about this? The sustain was crappy before I did the setup. So I know it's not something I did.
new pickups. the stock ones are horrible.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Easiest way would be to just get a compressor/sustain pedal. New pickups - especially active ones....

sustain will always be worse on the higher frets.
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
Quote by tubab0y
new pickups. the stock ones are horrible.

not necessarily, he could have a DK2 and they have JB/59 sets, (not the best set in the world but far from horrible)

im assuming youve probably got a JS series in which case yeah the pickups could have something to do with it or ya might even have been unlucky enough to get one with some sort of structural problems
well, the stock pickups on the pre-'07 ones were duncan designed POSs.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Woot!

yeah, better pickups,
more mass at the headstock (they have clamps for this)
raise the action
raise the gain
lower the pickups
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Mar 23, 2007,
Quote by jj1565
Woot!

yeah, better pickups,
more mass at the headstock (they have clamos for this)
raise the action
raise the gain
lower the pickups

Yeah, that's one that is often overlooked. If the pickups are too close to the strings the magnetic field of them damps the vibration of the string and thus, kills sustain. It's why single coil guitars generally have better sustain (if all things are equal, obviously Les Pauls have great sustain because of the weight).
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
my humbucker keeps grabbing the strings on my h-s-s american strat, this is twice its happened although i lowered it once already, and i didnt even have the trem bar in when it happened the second time.

i dunno how this fits into this thread, but since high pickups were mentioned, i thought "what the hell".
"Marty Friedman > You" Club.

Quote by CoreysMonster

Buy the toilet Hendrix crapped in for the full "Jimi Hendrix Experience"

PM me if you think my drummer looks like angry kid

so far 61 people think he looks like angry kid
lower the pickup by slowly turning the adjustment screws. one on either side of the pup.

put ur face to to pickup and watch it go up and down.
dont go lower than flush to the body, and know that lowering the treble side decreases treble volume, lowering bass side, decreases bass volume, ect.

blue lines.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

If lowering the pickups doesn't help check the neck. A fret may be high or the fingerboard may be coming unglued around that 12th fret.
Quote by Kurapica
Yeah, that's one that is often overlooked. If the pickups are too close to the strings the magnetic field of them damps the vibration of the string and thus, kills sustain. It's why single coil guitars generally have better sustain (if all things are equal, obviously Les Pauls have great sustain because of the weight).

Actually I think single coils pull just as much as humbuckers. If I take a screwdriver and put it next to a pole piece of one of my humbuckers, the pull is weaker than that of a my single coil.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
Another possiblilty. You say the dead spot is at the 12th fret. This is the most common spot for the neck to bow. Check your truss rod and make sure its not loose or the neck is bowed. It may have come loose when you changed the pickups. The truss rod is a really important element in electric guitars. It contributes a lot to sustain.
Quote by bean-o
Actually I think single coils pull just as much as humbuckers. If I take a screwdriver and put it next to a pole piece of one of my humbuckers, the pull is weaker than that of a my single coil.

probably to do with alcino V vs ceramic magnets or something of that nature

or, the magnets in humbuckers are placed with one magnet running N S and the other S N arent they? if so it could be because one field will be attracting, the other repelling which would weaken the attraction of your screwdriver...

oh well thats jut two theorys, i dont know lol
It is a DK2, I don't think it has anything to do with the pickups though. The sustain is bad even when unplugged. It's not just at the 12th, it gets worse as you go higher down the neck. I have tried lowering the pickups to no avail.
I am considering new pickups as it has the duncan design stockers, But I don't think that's my problem. Any suggestions for a versatile, do it all set of pickups? I am thinking of a hot rail in the neck position because I miss my old H S H.
Look into replacing the machine heads with the heaviest ones you can find. The difference in sustain is incredible.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by rockinfatjack
The sustain is bad even when unplugged. It's not just at the 12th, it gets worse as you go higher down the neck. I have tried lowering the pickups to no avail.

it's ur action, neck angle. new pickups will make it a little better. but u need to adjust ur string hieght and measure ur neck angle.

if ur interested repost.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62