So, it's Friday the 23rd of March and the deadline for submissions was today - I haven't received anymore for a couple of days now and it doesn't look like I'll get anymore, so I'm going to go ahead and posts the answers and results.

Q1. Identify the following chords.

A. A-9 - D9 - Gmaj9 - C#-9 - F#9 - Bmaj9. I would have also accepted A-7 - D7 - Gmaj7 - C#-7 - F#7 - Bmaj7, the extensions weren't mandatory.

Q1a. Identify two different keys within this progression.

A. B Major and G Major.

Q1b. Identify two seperate chord progressions within this progression.

A. ii - V - I in B and ii - V - I in G. Anything like ii-9 - V9 - Imaj9 or ii-7 - V7 - Imaj7 was also acceptable.

Q2. The following notes come together to form which chord.

A. F#alt or F#7(b5, #5, b9, #9).

G - b9
A# - 3
Cx - #5
E - b7
C - b5
Gx - #9
F# - 1

= F#alt.

Q2b. Identifty the name of the chord that is the tritone substitution of the aforementioned chord.

A. C13#11. C7#11 is also an acceptable answers. All you had to do was write the chord out with the root a tritone away.

G - 5
A# (Bb) - b7
Cx (D) - 9
E - 3
C - 1
Gx (A) - 13
F# - #11

= C13#11.

Q4.Four symmetrical chords can be built from the G half-step/whole-step diminished scale. Name them.

A. G7b9#9#11, Bb7b9#9#11, C#7b9#9#11 and E7b9#9#11. Other acceptable answers were G7b9, Bb7b9, C#7b9 and E7b9 because just writing the chord as _7b9 is shorthand for the full chord built from the H/W scale.

There was some confusion here with people submitted diminished 7th chord, which are correct - but not a chord associated with the H/W scale. I should have mentioned this, but for all those who did submit diminished 7th chord - your answers have been marked as correct because it was my fault.

Q5. The following two chords are both the same chord, a C6. Give me the name of the type of voicing given to the second chord.

A. Drop 2.

A drop 2 voicing is a voicing of a closed voicing (a voicing where all the notes in the chord are as close to eachother as possible) where the 2nd voice in the chord is dropped down an octave. As you can see, the second voice in my closed voicing of C6 has been dropped down an octave - thus we get a drop 2 voicing.

I asked for the type of voicing here - not inversion, so all those who said 3rd inversion, you got it wrong I'm afraid. I even got one answer saying 'That chord is Am7', heh.

Q5. Give the name of one scale that is most commonly played over the following chords.

A.

_7#5#11 = Whole tone. Lots of people put altered here - which isn't entirely incorrect, but the _#5#11 is the characteristic chord of the whole tone scale, and the chord would normally be written with a b5 instead of #11 to imply the altered scale and avoid confusion. Some people even said Lydian augmented.. which has a major seventh.. _7#5#11 doesn't.

_sus (_7sus4) = Mixolydian.

_susb9 (_7sus4b9) = Phrygian/Phrygian dominant.
Both are acceptable answers and characteristic of the susb9 chord.

_7b9#9#11 = H/W Diminished.
Again here, not altered because of the #11 being written and not b5.

_Δ#5 (_maj7#5, maj7+) = Ionian #5.

Q6. In the following melody and bass line - name the type of movement that is occuring.

A. Contrary motion.

Q7. Identify the quality of the following chord given in the soundclip.

A. sus (7sus, 7sus4). If anyone's interested, it was infact this standard voicing of Gsus..

|-8-|
|-6-|
|-7-|
|-5-|
|---|
|---|

After all is said and done, here are everyone's results from top the bottom, highest score to lowest score - marked out of a 24 possible correct answers.

1. elvenkindje: 24/24 or 100%.
2. VR2005: 21/24 or 87%.
3. titopuente: 19/24 or 79%.
= Zeppelin256: 19/24 or 79%.
4. Nick_: 18/24 or 75%.
5. hurlyz: 17/24 or 70%.
6. bigmanwithanaxe: 16/24 or 66%.
= sirpyscho85: 16/24 or 66%.
7. coffeeguy9: 14/24 or 58%
8. Psychodelia: 13/24 or 54%.
9. 6DgOfInTb: 12/24 or 50%.

I also received a PM from Mr. coffeeguy9 saying.. ''... you guys seem like you try a little to hard to make things difficult to the point of impracticality and it becomes ridiculous..''

If any of you agree with this - then I'd appreciate it if it were discussed in this thread so next time a quiz is posted, it doesn't happen again so people don't lose interest if things get too technical.

Well done guys
Quote by Johnljones7443
I also received a PM from Mr. coffeeguy9 saying.. ''... you guys seem like you try a little to hard to make things difficult to the point of impracticality and it becomes ridiculous..''

If any of you agree with this - then I'd appreciate it if it were discussed in this thread so next time a quiz is posted, it doesn't happen again so people don't lose interest if things get too technical.

I wouldn't say that necessarily... the thing I've been thinking over, though, is that if this were organized enough, the person making the quiz could have a "study guide" and post it on quiz of the person going before them.

But anyways, cool, I liked this quiz. Apart from me mixing up the tritone subs
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Meh, never got around to actually submitting. For what its worth, I would have put altered instead of H/W diminished, and Lydian Augmented (which does fit) instead of Ionian+5. And I knew in the C6 chord you were looking for a drop answer, but I haven't studied Jazz guitar much so I didn't know what "drop" it was. Everything else I would have gotten right. I held off on posting so I could look up drop voicings and check to make sure Q7 was a 7sus4.

Also, I was under the impression that a tritone substitution is just ANY dominant chord built a tritone up.
Last edited by theodds at Mar 23, 2007,
heh..last place. I knew i didnt do so well on the test, especially afterwards when i came across a bunch of the answers. I knew i screwed up the chords because i was overthinking it.

But its all for learning purposes, right? :-p

looking foreward to next week
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

Quote by theodds
Meh, never got around to actually submitting. For what its worth, I would have put altered instead of H/W diminished, and Lydian Augmented (which does fit) instead of Ionian+5. And I knew in the C6 chord you were looking for a drop answer, but I haven't studied Jazz guitar much so I didn't know what "drop" it was. Everything else I would have gotten right. I held off on posting so I could look up drop voicings and check to make sure Q7 was a 7sus4.

Also, I was under the impression that a tritone substitution is just ANY dominant chord built a tritone up.

Fair enough - but my question wasn't 'What scale do you prefer to play over these chords?'. I asked for the specific scale associated with each chord - thus putting altered for _7b9#9#11 and Lydian augmented for Δ+ would have been incorrect. I didn't say lydian augmented wouldn't fit Δ+, I said it wouldnt fit _7#5#11.

.. and the tritone substitution for an _alt chord is normally the _7#11 chord a tritone above because both chords are built from the same melodic minor scale (F#alt and C7#11 from G melodic minor) ergo they are both largely interchangeable and essentially the same chord, so they tend to resolve to the same places.
Woot woot, second place. I can't wait for next weeks quiz, so I can have a chance to beat Elven maybe
Co-Founder of the Jazz Guitarist Community. PM me or Zeppelin256 to join.

Come listen to Zeppelin256 and I jam over some jazz tunes! Unit 7
oh wow, i totally forgot about this...
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
Quote by Johnljones7443
Fair enough - but my question wasn't 'What scale do you prefer to play over these chords?'. I asked for the specific scale associated with each chord - thus putting altered for _7b9#9#11 and Lydian augmented for ?+ would have been incorrect. I didn't say lydian augmented wouldn't fit ?+, I said it wouldnt fit _7#5#11.

.. and the tritone substitution for an _alt chord is normally the _7#11 chord a tritone above because both chords are built from the same melodic minor scale (F#alt and C7#11 from G melodic minor) ergo they are both largely interchangeable and essentially the same chord, so they tend to resolve to the same places.

Heh, when I wasn't offering any challenges, sorry if it sounded like I was. I see what you are saying about the tritone subsitution now though - any dominant would work if it was a subsitution of a straight V7 chord, but if it's an altered chord it is more appropriate to add the extensions so that you preserve the altered sound.

I would like to say that Ionian#5 seems like a pretty odd choice for a maj7+ chord. That's a mode of harmonic minor isn't it? I don't see those being used anywhere near as much as modes of melodic minor. I mean, the augmented second between 4 and #5 doesn't have the feel of that chord to me.
Alright guys the next quiz should be up by around 9:30 to 10 in Eastern Standard Time. Basically just 2 hours from now. All I have to say is, you better brush up on your ear training. <_< >_>

Maybe...by the way I have to post it tomorrow due to some engagments I had tonight that I was unaware until later in the evening. It lasted for awhile not giving me enough time tonight to finish. Plus I have a massive headache.

Cheers

PS I will tell you, you might as well start transcribing that music theory game question to save you some time.