If you're only just starting to sweep just take some simple shapes, like three string shapes, and learn them, play them slowly, to a metronome until you get it perfect then speed it up and start again.

At this juncture i would like to voice my objection to sweep picking being covered in the "basics" forum, sweep picking is highly advanced.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
i will post this here, to do not open another thread :-P

in fact, sweep picking it's just a fast picking going from a string to another?but you angle the pick, so you do same as strumming a chord,but doing note per note..am i right or wrong??

thanks to everyone
Sweep picking is using a stream of strokes in the same direction, so:

e|-----8-13-8-------
b|---9---------9----
g|10-------------10-
d|------------------
a|------------------
e|------------------

Would be played with three downstrokes then an up, pull off to the C (8th fret) and then two more upstrokes. The thing that really makes it sweep picking is to keep the motion fluid, not individual picking motions for all the strokes, one continual movement.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Try The Beast and The Harlot by Avenged Sevenfold, the chorus has some managable four-string sweeps. (Don't worry guys, I don't actually like this band)
i have been trying to find some useful info on arpeggios in general
can someone point me in the direction of a good internet lesson on it
This page should have just about everything you could want to know about arpeggios, including learning, soloing with and sweep picking.

The search on the main page is your friend.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Tortiss
Whats a song to learn with some beginner sweep picking?
Or should I just learn some Progressions?

There are some good websites for learning sweep but I recommend that below in my
message . I mean my site.
Go to my homesite if you want learn Sweep picking and Economy.

Here:

www.freewebs.com/ushimirs

I hope you like... but text is finnish.
Quote by OhSoInsane
seize the day outro by a7x has some crazy sweeps too!! I cant do them =(

He asked for sweeps for beginners...

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
giles by unearth has like... 3 string sweeps... i guess thats easy enough
pringles was originally going to be a tennis ball company

having a penis is like having a friend who always wants to play
Quote by MaltedMilk
Try The Beast and The Harlot by Avenged Sevenfold, the chorus has some managable four-string sweeps. (Don't worry guys, I don't actually like this band)

Yet you knew that they had sweeps in that song. Why bother adding that last part? Dont try to look cool for other UGers just because the mass of UG doesnt like A7X. If you like them, you like them, so don't try to hide it.

Anyways, dont try any songs for now. Just take a chord shape that you know, and then palm mute and drag the pick downwards, across all 6 strings, or whatever the chord uses. This will get you used to the motion of sweep picking, and then when you are comfortable with that, practice going upwards, and then move on to 3 string, 5 string sweeps, etc.
I was going to recammend beast and the harlot from A7X myself. I learned the sweep part in about an hour and iv been playing about 5 months.
Quote by liquidknowledg4
I was going to recammend beast and the harlot from A7X myself. I learned the sweep part in about an hour and iv been playing about 5 months.

Learned or learned and can play up to speed?

And: video/audio or it didn't happen.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
I'm pretty sure there's a sticky for this or something..
^_^
Learning some basic chord arpeggios will help.
Dave Mustain has wrote some of the most amazing solos...
That he can't actually play!
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Learned or learned and can play up to speed?

And: video/audio or it didn't happen.

Its not played fast at all, its easy and doesnt require much skill at all.
Gear:

Gibson SG
Epiphone LP
"Apocalypses Guitar"
70's Silverface Bassman Amp
Russian Bigmuff
Digitech Deathmetal Pedal
Digitech Badmonkey Pedal
Boss Tuner
yup. you can sweep real fast if you want, but it doesn't have to be super fast to be called sweeping.
^_^
Quote by nephi
yup. you can sweep real fast if you want, but it doesn't have to be super fast to be called sweeping.

Then what's the point? Sweep-picking is one of the most blatantly "look at what I can do" techniques ever...aside from one handed legato, If you're not doing it fast you might as well alternate pick it.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Well, you could start by doing it slowly.. I dare say no one shredded at Mach 3 on their first sweep.
^_^
Quote by nephi
Well, you could start by doing it slowly.. I dare say no one shredded at Mach 3 on their first sweep.

Jesus did.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Then what's the point? Sweep-picking is one of the most blatantly "look at what I can do" techniques ever...aside from one handed legato, If you're not doing it fast you might as well alternate pick it.

Oh man, is THAT ever wrong. You are only thinking about it an in extremely narrow
way. It can be used in all kinds of lines and it has as much to do about speed as
any other kind of picking.
Well not really, sweep picking is generally used because you can't pick one note per string fast enough, alternate picking sounds pretty much the same, it's not like the difference between alternate and down picking, where there is a tonal difference, so, sweep picking = fast.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
sweep picking is generally used because you can't pick one note per string fast enough,

You should really examine that premise. It's not how I "generally use" it. Quite
often it's to arpeggiate a line that I happen to like the sound of. It has nothing to
do with the speed of the line. It might be fast or slow or in between. Anyone
that thinks sweeping must always be at the fastest possible speed (because
you can't pick one note per string fast enough -- whatever that means) is just
looking at it all wrong. If that's the only way you use sweeps, you're really limiting
yourself.
Ya going back to the avenged sevenfold thing the chorus to the beast and the harlot idosent involve sweeping it is a up and down stroke picking style.
A reported study has suggested that 95% of all teens now listen to rap put this in your sig if your one of the 5% that still listens to the real music
Quote by edg
If that's the only way you use sweeps, you're really limiting
yourself.

Only I'm totally not. I think that challenging myself to pick one note per string faster is anything but limiting myself, sweeping doesn't sound different to alternate picking, so why the hell should it get used unless the line is too fast to alternate pick? If you can't alternate pick arpeggios that's your problem, but I can so I'll leave sweeping until it gets too fast to be alternate.

Back on topic...kind of: Most Avenged Sevenfold harmony lines are alterante picked, mainly because as far as I know Zacky Vengeance can't sweep for shit. Synyster Gates sweeps quite a lot, but only when he's soloing on his own, not harmonizing.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Hi guys, I'm an intermediate guitar player. I can sweep but only sweep down. When I'm trying to sweep with up strokes, I'm not getting anywhere. I think it's because I keep my pick in the same way. Is there some adjustments you're supposed to make to sweep pick up? Can someone post a picture?