A lot of people have posted threads on this about where Emo came from.

Some have made good points about bands that have kinda started the whole emo music style, but none can be responsible for starting the actual Emo way of life; the true Emo mentality and such.

For the true original Emo of all time is a simple cartoon that was first drawn many many years ago, and came from a cartoon series you may remember, titled Winnie the Pooh.

I'm talking, of course, about Eeyore, the constantly depressed donkey. Now many people are quickly to lash out and say "That's dum, Emo didn't come from some cartoon." and perhaps that isn't where it took off from, but if you go back and watch some of the original Winnie the Pooh episodes, you'll admit that Eeyore was the first ever to try Emo on for size.

"No better from this side. But nobody minds. Nobody cares. Pathetic"
"It's still snowing, however, we havn't had an earthquake lately"
"Good morning, Pooh Bear. If it is a good morning, which I doubt"
"Nobody keeps me informed. I make it 17 days come Friday since anybody spoke to me"

-only a few classic quotes from Eeyore

He was always sad, his friends didn't talk to him much, he spent most of his time alone in his home, and always seemed to lean towards the pessimistic side of things.
If that's not the true definition of Emo, I don't know what is.

Therefore, if you believe in Emo, or if you like to be Emo, you should hail Eeyore as your founder, and creator of what you believe in.

reply me back your comments ( good or bad )

peace
The JayString
I don't think Eeyore invented pessimism or depression. There actually was civilization with living breathing human beings that existed before pink cell phones and girl's boot cut jeans (for guys). Except back then, people had real problems - like... being born a slave, perhaps. I bet that was much worse, unless one of you would like to argue about it.
I read that both emo & hardcore both came off of surf bands. Surf brought about punk, then the late 70's came/80's spawned "emo" from punk, rock, crap 80's music.

I'm not an emo either. (I love how emo's are referred to as another race or something.)

"What's wrong with that guy?"
"Oh. He's just an Emo... don't stare."
Quote by 6WS
(I love how emo's are referred to as another race or something.)

"What's wrong with that guy?"
"Oh. He's just an Emo... don't stare."

i love you
Emo was just a type of hardcore where they acted emotionally on stage... end of discussion.
Oh God.

I hate these threads.

For the fifteen millionth time: depression and "emo" do not go hand in hand.

If someone in tight jeans is unhappy, they're emo. If someone in a Metallica hoodie's unhappy, then they're obviously just going through a rough patch in their life. Strange, eh?
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
you cannot be an emo- its a clothing fashion or a genre of music NOT including metalcore (such as arch enemy and Atreyu) but instead, bands like Saetia, The Caterpillers and so on- never heard of them? thought not
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
What springs to mind when you hear the word emo? Hawthorne Heights? Self-harm? A metro-sexual anorexic kid with eyeliner and a YL t-shirt? The truth is that none of these things are remotely connected to the true roots of “emo” or “emotional hardcore”, and the current MTV grip over the genre has all but killed any links it has with it’s origin. So where did it start, and where did emo lose it’s way? This is in no way supposed to be a definitive history of the term, but rather more of an overview of where it originated, and how it came about.

Rewind over twenty years to 1983 and the break-up of Minor Threat. With the explosion of punk in the 70s, and the progression of this into hardcore punk in the late 70s/early 80s, the genre was beginning to run out of ideas, with bands all over America turning to other influences and sounds. The New York scene for example turned to tough-guy, fusing hardcore punk with thrash metal, with bands like The Cro-Mags spear-heading this scene. New York also saw the birth of Youth crew, or hardcore crews, which again was a result of introducing a metallic influence to hardcore punk, with bands like Youth Of Today synonymous with the beginning of hardcore crews and the birth of straight-edge.

In contrast to the tough-guy scene that was flourishing in New York, the D.C scene saw the beginnings of what was to become emo in the true sense of the word. In 1984, Hüsker Dü released their third full length album titled Zen Arcade, which is seen as a huge influence, with the band abandoning their previous hardcore punk origins, and instead opting for a much more mature and melodic style of writing, embodied in their vocal delivery, as well as the inclusion of elements of jazz, acoustic folk, pop and piano interludes, which were a world away from the sound of early 80s hardcore punk.

The release of this album almost coincided with the formation of the band Rites Of Spring, who are widely considered to be the first (and most definitive) emo band in terms of sound. This is largely due to vocalist Guy Picciotto’s singing style, adopting a much more passionate throaty tone of voice, and letting his vocals crack at especially emotional heights of songs. The lyrical content also played a huge part in their definitive emo label, with Picciotto focusing on more personal, introspective and emotional subject matter, which contrasted with the intensely political and social concerned lyrics of the early hardcore scene. Rites Of Spring were one of many bands who were involved in the Revolution Summer (the summer of 1985), which essentially saw the metamorphosis of the D.C hardcore scene. Revolution Summer was named so in light of the formation of more melodic, slower-tempo bands, which were used to keep violence and intolerance away from the scene, and re-engage it as a community, rather than a battle-ground. The most notable (and famous) bands to be launched from the Revolution Summer include: Rites Of Spring, Moss Icon and Embrace (featuring influential front man Ian MacKaye of Minor Threat fame). Although the term emo wasn’t adopted by any of the bands at the time or applied by any of its members. The bands associated with the Revolution Summer movement are generally referred to as “emo-core”, in light of the transition phase within the D.C scene. Moss Icon’s sound is also deemed to be hugely influential on the emo-core sound, focusing especially on the more emotive elements of their music. They added a large amount of intricate guitar work, seen in guitarist Tonie Joy‘s use of clean arpeggiated technique, and allowed songs to build up and swell by experimenting with loud/soft dynamics within their song structures. These elements, coupled with Jonathan Vance’s desperate screaming style form the roots of the classic emo genre, although of course there are other phases with this sound developing and drawing upon other scenes to form new branches to the genre.

I hope that is all correct, can someone correct it if not?
there is no fear in this heart.

Quote by ETHANEVIL
How am I being or trying to be fabulous/glamorous?