Ok basically I have a JCM900 and am looking for a pedal to boost it into heavier overdrive. I know the Microamp is a clean boost, but does it sound better than a TS808 or TS9 with the volume all the way up, and the gain turned down? Thanks
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

There's only a volume on the MXR.

Try them both out and see, if you're looking for the minimum pre amp gain from the pedal, the MXR is the one.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Minimum preamp gain? As in it has less of a volume boost than the TS9? And yes, I do know it is only a volume knob, and I thought that would be alright since the only thing I would be using on the TS9 for is volume knob to get more ony my preamp.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

I meant that the tubescreamer adds gain to the amp's pre amp, only if you turn up the TS's gain. The MXR sounds like it's for you, just play it first.
Don't be afraid to care"

Ok thanks - but can someone get me straight on the whole "boost vs. overdrive" thing. A boost increases the input signal to the amp causing it to overdrive the preamp more than it otherwise would. Much like how active pickups boost your signal.

But what exactly does "overdrive" do? I assume somehow it creates gain, using some sort of ss mechanism in the pedal, but why would anyone with a decent tube amp choose that over overdriving their tube preamp of their amp? Any help straightening me out would be greatly appreciated, becaues even after all the years of playing, and trying out tons of gear I still do not truly understand that.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

It overdrives the power amp too, probably more so than the pre amp overdriving.

If you want a bit more gain to your signal, or a bit of grittyness, you use an overdrive. Or if you're using a clean amp and want a sort of OD channel, you use an OD or 2.
Don't be afraid to care"

Ok thanks - sounds like the Microamp is for me as I want a full range boost, and do not particularly want added grittiness, but I will obviously try both out to make sure.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

^Right on.

There are loads of boosters out there though, try a few out.
Don't be afraid to care"

the micro amp overloads the preamp just like the TS808/9 does, the difference is that the TS adds its own distortion to the amps.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Hey one more question - is the Zakk Wylde overdrive like the Microamp with just more controls?
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

^No, apparently the ZW OD is terrible, a LOT of people say so.
Don't be afraid to care"