If I have a bass with active EQ and the battery runs out, will the bass be totally useless, or will it still be playable without the active EQ?
I'd assume it would act is if it were a passive bass if the battery died. Come to think of it, how often should you change the batteries in your active EQ?
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
It will have horrible quality or good quality, depending on the installed pickups.
Replace the battery as soon as possible(oh wait, you already know that)
nope, it stops working altogether when they die, but not instantly; it gradually gets worse and worse-not sure how to describe it, but the bass gradually dies....it's pretty obvious when it happens tho.

as for how often to change, it really depends on how much you play it-but you should ALWAYS change before a gig-extremely embarrasing if they run out onstage!
It depends on the batteries and how much you play the bass. You will know when its dying because it will distort sound in ways that are nasty--and not good nasty and then just die, no sound will be forthcoming.

I seem to go through one 9 volt about every 14 months on my bass. My recommendation is that anytime you have a performance or serious gig, change your battery. Period. And always, always carry an extra 9volt or two in your case.
Last edited by anarkee at Mar 23, 2007,
in my basses, it gets really crackly, and have an uneven output.

luckily, i have a active/passive switch now, so if it gets low, i switch it to passive untill i get another battery.

but about once a year is how often i have to change my batteries
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
If the bass has active/passive modes, you should be able to play the bass without batteries. If not, the bass will go almost silent. I'm not going to bother explaining the science behind active electronics, but it goes something like this: they make pickups that are much much quieter but can pick up more frequencies. To compensate for the lack of volume, they actively boost the signal with an EQ. Without the batteries, you won't have the boost, and your bass will be near-silent.

Hell, my Warwick is active/passive and won't work without a battery, even in passive mode.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
^that sucks, what is it loaded with? mine has bartolinis

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Mine just has the standard MEC's, but I think that's characteristic of all first party Warwick stuff. But, like was mentioned before, it doesn't just cut out; it won't fail you on a gig because you'll notice it beforehand. If you don't notice, you don't deserve to be playing a gig.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
well wouldnt an easy test be just to take the battery out see what happens, answering your question

in my case no noise at all

tho maybe this isnt right way to test as with a complete circuit, all be it dead battery, may be different

and its obvious when its going, only had to change it once
Quote by tubadude
^that sucks, what is it loaded with? mine has bartolinis

Ibanez SR505? Cause tjat's what I've got, and it has Bartolinis aswell.
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
Washburn XB925.

i dont think the sr505 has an active/passive switch.

Quote by steven seagull
if your bass has passive pickups but active EQ, if the battery is dead, the bass is dead, the pickups arent what is being powered, its the preamp, and if the preamp on your bass is off, well then your amp is off, there is no longer a signal chain. like everyone in this thread said, change your batteries, batteries are like $1 at the most per battery, whats that compared to being embarassed infront of a tone of people and not being able to play your show??
personally i would not go for an active bass if it couldn't be played without batteries.

i'm currently trying to decide between a Cort B4 (think ibanez sr500) and a 2nd hand 5 String 'Ray (Humbucker and Piezo) the ray is AU$2500 and the Cort just under AU$1000. I'm actually leaning towards the Cort because it is more comfortable to play, looks way better and has the active passive switch, the real clincher for me.
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
Cort makes some nice basses, I say go for it.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.