My TSL 100 is starting to give a bit of a shitty sound, how do you tell if the tubes are failing?
how long have you been using them and how hard? if you feel that you are getting a deader sound then you're probably do for a change. if you've had them in for a while you might as well change them anyway. you could also troubleshoot it that way.
If the tubes fail something else happens, but if they are getting old, they clarity or quality of the sound will deteriorate.
my problem is that i cant put an exact age on them as its a second hand amp. Its in mint condition for sure but the sound seems muddy at the moment. i.e. notes seem to be fuzzing into each other when playing with a lot of gain, this was not a problem before. I have played approx 10 gigs of 2 hours each with it and approx 20 practice sessions with the band for about 3 hours a session, this adds up to 80 hours since i bought the amp, not including when i use it on my own ( i never play on my own at full volume obviously)
yeah it probably needs new tubes, that sounds like the tubes are going bad.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
for new tubes the power amp tubes will last 1-2 years and the preamp tubes 2-4. for NOS tubes its usually longer.

Last.fm
is that time measured in playing time or just lifespan as in food going off? sorry about the crap analogy but its the best i could think of
ok, so new tubes are on the menu, are they difficult to install, from pictures they look like a simple plug in job, is this the case? Ill change the whole set at once but do i have to get the same brand that are in the amp already? i.e can i use a set of MESA EL34's instead of whatevers in there (sovtek or something)
You just pull the old one out and push the new one in. You can use any tube that's rated the same (i.e., any EL34s), too.
if you use a different brand you will have to rebias, id stay away from mesa tubes though as they are overprice and are just rebranded.

Last.fm
rebias? can you explain? im starting to long for my old solid state Laney......
thanks for the help man. As a final note, I play a lot of classic metal, ie master of puppets to Black album metallica, iron maiden, megadeth, motorhead etc but i also like to go detuned with some system of a down and such like, can you reccomend any particular type of tube that may suit me?
JJ tubes, (which you can buy from the same site that video is on) are pretty dark sounding and would be good for a lot of that.

Last.fm
yeah i've been reading a lot of that site whilst skipping back to this board every now and again. heaps of useful information.