I need some advice from people who have sat grade 8 music theory with ABRSM or any other examining body within the UK.

I am working towards sitting grade 8 music theory by June. I am already entered for the exam. I am starting grade 5 now and have finished grades 1 2 3 4 in the past two months. It takes me about two weeks per grade book to finish them. I have private theory lessons and dedicate atleast 4 hours a night learning theory as possible.

Will I be ready for the exam in time, my theory teacher is telling me its a shot in the dark and he has never got anyone through to grade 8 and into an exam in such short time.

Is it possible to do this?

[Im doing this because I really want to do this music course and I cant change over in my second year so its all or nothing]
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
Last edited by Guitardude19 at Mar 23, 2007,
i think you might aswell try
Quote by Virgil_Hart05
Beating the elderly is a big favourite of mine. Also, pushing kids over and kicking pregnant women in the womb is fun.

Right now we're called 'Various Artists' just to fuck over people with iPods
what kind of stuff is in grade 8 theory in the uk?

i think you should go for it regardless, because if your really that dedicated to it you'll be able to do it. im just curious tho.
Tool kicks ass
Harmony, studyin of trio sonatas, chromatic chords, extensions, 11ths 9ths 13ths, dissonance treatment, tonal melodic composition, analysising music, composer styles and havin to analyse music and writing who the composer of that piece is.

EDIT:

And everything from previous grades so I will (and do know) most of the ornaments, all the major and minor scales, intervals, triads and extended triads. Cadences are next to learn so I think I should be pretty well set up for the exam I just need advice basically.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
Last edited by Guitardude19 at Mar 23, 2007,
You are very dedicated, very impressive. Certainly go for it. Worst case scenario you lose out on 50 smackers or whatever the fee is, but - think how much you'll have covered in trying to get to that point!

Also, with the time you're putting in, I think you have a good chance of getting to that level.
Good luck
do they have those in the states, id be interested in trying one, how long have you played?
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.