I just wanted some people's opinion on this topic.

Do you believe that songs lose out when you can't understand what the singer is singing? I believe that the vocals are an integral part of the song and have to be different every time.

In my opinion, if you stop them from being understandable then the song begins to lose it's touch, people find it harder to sing along and eventually stop listening. And if a song has the same brutal lyrics every time then all of your songs will sound very much the same, which doesn't keep a band going for very long.

How many people agree/disagree with this and why? and which of the two styles are better?
I'm so metal I work at Dimmu Burger
Personally i prefer lyrics you can understand but sometimes you can get brutal lyrics which you can understand. Look at Disturbed or Stone Sour.
Vintage VRS100 Custom 24
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Harley Benton HBR7-450FRBK (7 string)
Tanglewood Nevada FST 36
Hughes & Kettner ATS MKII
Vox Tonelab SE
Sennheiser E285 S
Danelectro free Speech Talk Box
I wouldn't say that Disturbed or Stone Sour are particularly brutal, when I say brutal I mean things like Kalmah or Deicide.
I'm so metal I work at Dimmu Burger
Blehhhh....Must this question get asked every five seconds?

I fail to understand how growled vocals differ from clean vocals...Are they not a valid form of expression? And what the shit? Vocals that are sung cleanly are the same sound every single time; they are basically the singer's fingerprint, just like growled vox...

It is very hard to find death metal vocalists whose vocals are nearly identical to another,(shitty Suffocation ripoffs do not count) just as it is hard to find a clean singer who sounds similar to another clean singer.
Last.fm

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS
AND WE ARE THE DREAMERS OF THE DREAMS
ah right so when you say brutal you mean screaming shite........
Vintage VRS100 Custom 24
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Harley Benton HBR7-450FRBK (7 string)
Tanglewood Nevada FST 36
Hughes & Kettner ATS MKII
Vox Tonelab SE
Sennheiser E285 S
Danelectro free Speech Talk Box
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
Blehhhh....Must this question get asked every five seconds?

I fail to understand how growled vocals differ from clean vocals...Are they not a valid form of expression? And what the ****? Vocals that are sung cleanly are the same sound every single time; they are basically the singer's fingerprint, just like growled vox...

It is very hard to find death metal vocalists whose vocals are nearly identical to another,(shitty Suffocation ripoffs do not count) just as it is hard to find a clean singer who sounds similar to another clean singer.

although you might of taken my post differnetly to how i meant it to come across as i think you may of done..i agree with you. you seem to be the most intelligent person to ahve posted
vocals should match the intensity of the song

death metal=brutal music=brutal vocals

could you really hear cannibal corpse playing "hammer smash face" with rob halford or bruce dickinson singing?
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Brutal vocals are amazing, but clean vocals have their place as well.

Context, people! Context!
Get baked, study theory.

Quote by :-D
Why are you bringing Cm into this?
Quote by King ofKumbucha
I prefer brutal... I see vox as being another instrument in the band, not the focus point of the listeners attention.

+1246456456474567846753445676543

I think that it is sad that vocals and lyrics have become so overbearing in today's society with pop music and whatnot...
Last.fm

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS
AND WE ARE THE DREAMERS OF THE DREAMS
i dont even care about "brutal" vocals I listen to the instruments when I listen to music. I think alot of clean vocals distract fromt that ex: when my dad puts on the local christain station i try hard to stay focused on the instruments but its diffucult, with metal its a subconsious thing to hear the instruments for me. I do like clean vocals in metal though.
Man, we can analyse this biologically and logically

Biologically : Certain brain nerves are keen on certain sounds including certain music which means that the brain of people listning to brutal stuff is prone to be brutal.

Logically : Every person has his own opinions and aspects of music. you cant ask him/her why or any questions concerning the music he/she likes to listen to.

Vocals are vocals, they are expressed in a way the singer thinks they should be expressed and the music in which those vocals are taking place is more suitable for this kind of vocals rather than other types of vocals..

Sorry for my speech, I'm drunk.
I put a dollar in a change machine. Nothing changed.
Quote by gothicneo
I wouldn't say that Disturbed or Stone Sour are particularly brutal, when I say brutal I mean things like Kalmah or Deicide.

ROFL
Try some Defeated Sanity.
Are antagonist (NOT ANTAGONY) considered nu metal cause some dumb ass at school said they were, I cant even see how but then again Im a noob when to comes to classifying bands.
Quote by gothicneo
I just wanted some people's opinion on this topic.

Do you believe that songs lose out when you can't understand what the singer is singing? I believe that the vocals are an integral part of the song and have to be different every time.

In my opinion, if you stop them from being understandable then the song begins to lose it's touch, people find it harder to sing along and eventually stop listening. And if a song has the same brutal lyrics every time then all of your songs will sound very much the same, which doesn't keep a band going for very long.

How many people agree/disagree with this and why? and which of the two styles are better?

Well that's just not true. Look at Cannibal Corpse. They've released like, what, 39.7 albums? They're just as popular as ever.

But for my opinion. It's already been said.

Context.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
Is it me or has there been a large amount of n00b threads recently?
Quote by Everybody
Plus_the_Bear is the entertainment event of the holiday season!

My rig:

Ibanez Custom Chinese Fireball
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
2 Crate solid state half-stack cabinets and ampheads.
Digitech 2000 Whammy/Wah Pedal
Dunlops Picks
Quote by Necrolust
Biologically : Certain brain nerves are keen on certain sounds including certain music which means that the brain of people listning to brutal stuff is prone to be brutal.

class!

hmm... understandable vs brutal? I like understandable brutal vocals the best
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

A mix of the two. Growling vocals, if you will.

I hate full on screamy-die-death-kill-mythroatisexploding vocals. Sure they may fit the song, but you have to admit a lot of the time they have very little depth. They are often very monotone, as there is somewhat of a limit to how deep you can yell

I get bored of fully clean vocals, such as Bruce Dickinson's voice. I love Maiden, but after a long binge I wish he'd use some more variety. I love on songs like Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg, and No More Lies, where there is a bit of intensity to it.

I prefer the kind of vocals you get in most Thrash metal, James Hetfield's voice in the AJFA era is how I like my vocals. Really gruff and deep, but clear and punchy. If you can get the balance right between clean/shouting it sounds so intense and powerful, IMO.