I just bought a new Ibanez S520EX, which I am extremely fond of, but frankly the pickups are really muddy sounding. So, naturally I would like to replace them, but I dont really know where to start with finding new pickups. I play mainly progressive/ thrash/ heavy metal, but I do play other stuff (blues classic rock, jazz) on occasion so it has to be fairly versatile. For the neck I am looking for a very warm smooth sound and for the bridge something tight but not sterile, that is particularly good at picking up artificial harmonics and such. I have been looking at Dimarzio pickups and I kinda have it narrowed down to Evolution, D-Sonic, or Evo 2 for the bridge. No clue for the neck really. Oh, and I am playing theough a Johnson Millenium 150. Help would be much appreciated. Thanks
D-Sonic Bridge
Tone Zone Neck

Mmmm.....
Schecter CSH-1
Schecter Omen 6
Schecter 30th Anniversary Traditional
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Peavey XXX 40
Digitech Whammy
Visual Sound H2O
FullTone Clyde Deluxe Wah
Duncan Distortion in the bridge and '59 in the neck. I have no clue about DImarzio.
The clock strikes midnight
When tomorrow and today collide
The moon is at its highest
And the twilight seems fitting
For in these moments
The light at the end of the world
Shines like a thousand suns....

Victor Gutierrez
D-Sonic bridge, Breed neck....I've heard of people putting the Tone Zone in the neck, but you'd never see a clean tone as long as you lived if you did that. Breeds are about the warmest pickups Dimarzio make, the neck one in particular is fantastic.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Thanks or the help

Yeah the Tone Zone would be too powerful for a neck pick up for me. I need a good clean sound definitely. I have heard good things about the breed, I'll definitely look into it. Anymore suggestions
Save yourself some money and look at this. These are all AWESOME pickups. I'm sure the Duncans and DiMarzio's are really great too, but these will blow you away just as much as they will. At less than Half the cost.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/pickups.html

They sell through ebay as well. I have an Alnico fat paf boutique's in my Artist, and they sound great. Dynamic, articulate, lots of sustain and harmonics. Great improvement over the originals.
82 Ibanez artist ar105
94 Fender MIJ 72 tele custom reissue
04 prs se soapbar singlecut
97 Simon & Patrick pro flame maple
05 Art & Lutherie cedar 12
Custom Strat

68 Fender Super Reverb
78 Traynor TS200
80's Roland Cube20
To add to my previous post, a friend that introduced me to these pickups has an SZ-MH that he used to have a mix of ToneZone and Air Norton pickups in, and he opted for GFS just to try them out; since they were so cheap to buy.

He ended up leaving them in the SZ and sold the expensive ones. He liked them that much better.

Reason: couldn't get enough clean sound like he could with the GFS.

You know; you can put grunt into clean, but you can't clean up grunt!

All the GFS humbuckers come with 4 wire coil tapable wiring just like all the big names. (great for clean sounds and a wide mix of tone.)

You won't be dissapointed.
82 Ibanez artist ar105
94 Fender MIJ 72 tele custom reissue
04 prs se soapbar singlecut
97 Simon & Patrick pro flame maple
05 Art & Lutherie cedar 12
Custom Strat

68 Fender Super Reverb
78 Traynor TS200
80's Roland Cube20
Last edited by Guitarminator at Mar 25, 2007,