Page 1 of 2
when i play fast i can hear my pick hitting the strings really loudly...is that my playing being sloppy?how can i fix it?
If you're only using the bridge pick-up, that might be the problem, so try using another pickup with it or instead of it
yea change the position of your picking that should help get rid of it.... that and you could turn down the distortion a little......
"I can't live my life alwayz worried about what if....
cuz what if i die tomorrow and i never even lived!"
im on the neck pick up for a lot of my solos...and what you mean my picking is perpendicular?u mean like it makes a cross with the strings?and i never new turning down the gain decreased my pick attack
Yeah, try use different picks and see what works.

BTW, did you go on my ebay thing? Don't worry about the rod ajustment!
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by jason_lee_91
im on the neck pick up for a lot of my solos...and what you mean my picking is perpendicular?u mean like it makes a cross with the strings?and i never new turning down the gain decreased my pick attack

I thought I could explain this with words, but >_> kinda hard, here's a crappy diagram:

pick                  -------
motion                   |                 up and down
string  ---------------------------------

Try attacking at about a 45 degree angle.

/
pick                    /
                       /
motion                   |                 up and down
string  ---------------------------------

EDIT: Yeah, pick size is a large factor too :p Your pick might be too thin :p
Quote by jason_lee_91
well i use .88 picks and il give teh angle a try

I'm currently using purple 1.14mm Dunlop Tortex picks. Just to give you a comparison >_>
1.14 isn't that thick, I use a 1.21 pick sometimes..
"See, you're born punk. When you get your first haircut, then you're alternative. Then you let it grow long, then you're metal." - Kirk Hammett
Try a medium pick and use the rounded edge (not the tip.) Change the angle of the pick attack as the previous poster said. Push into the pick with your thumb causing the pick to bow slightly inward. Vary the amount of pressure until you get the sound you like.
a light touch helps too - i developed a very light touch - let the electronics do the work - you just drive it...
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Why do you care if you can hear your pick hitting your strings? As long as it's not coming through the amp it doesn't matter at all. I have a heavy attack myself and I can hear it at the guitar but it doesn't come through my amp. If it's coming through your amp, something is wrong unless you're using metal picks or something...
Ibanez ARC300DVS plugged into a Valve Jr. with a 1x12 custom Ear Candy cab and a blues driver. (Too many guitars to list.)

My Soundclick
Quote by smoke63b
Why do you care if you can hear your pick hitting your strings? As long as it's not coming through the amp it doesn't matter at all. I have a heavy attack myself and I can hear it at the guitar but it doesn't come through my amp. If it's coming through your amp, something is wrong unless you're using metal picks or something...

Uhh, no. You can hear pick attack through the amp.
Hahah. Not mine! I guess you must have some SERIOUS pick attack. I am pretty damn rough with mine and you can't hear it at all through either of my amps. Roland cube and a Valve Junior.
Ibanez ARC300DVS plugged into a Valve Jr. with a 1x12 custom Ear Candy cab and a blues driver. (Too many guitars to list.)

My Soundclick
O_o Play something by picking, then play that same thing with legato. You'll see what I mean.
Oh that's totally different than what I thought the guy was talking about. I thought he meant he could hear the sound of the pick hitting the strings through the amp. I can't hear that at all. Of course pick attack affects the TONE and such.

My Soundclick
Oh, rofl that would be ridiculous.

EDIT: I just re-read the TS's post. Your explanation is logical; perhaps I misunderstood. I dunno >_> *confused* You'd be right in saying who cares then :p
Lol yeah...

I think he's talking about the actual noise of the pick hitting the strings, which is ridiculous and if it's coming through amp, very strange.

My Soundclick
dont worry too much, youre supposed to hear the pick attack and its an important part of your playing dynamics IMO

most guys have it removed on the desk when theyre recording, you can read about it in the shred forum
try lowering ur pickup if its too close to the strings and lower the gain if its too high
You know, the pick attack is part of the music, without it, it can sound quite unnatural.
Just like a piano, the keys hitting the hammer, it makes the *clock clock* sound, and a note too.
Or while singing, when you breathe in, the wheezing sound.
It's part of the music and makes it what sounds natural.
Quote by Serendipity
I'm currently using purple 1.14mm Dunlop Tortex picks. Just to give you a comparison >_>

That makes us pick-buddies!
Under some settings i can hear the picking sound in my amp. High gain or high distortion, and i use an aluminium pick.
I use 2.0 gaters and you can hear the pick attack only if you're doing lots of natural harmonics with lots of distortion. It gives a thick tone too.
i want more pick attack.
how do u get more? lol
comparing to my 1.0mm Dunlop Tortex.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
well i dono i can hear the pick hitting the strings coming out of my amp and its usualy just as loud as the notes...i jus put my paml on the bridge and once i start ripping i can hear soo much of my pick hitting the strings
Yeah I have exactly the same problem and nothing seems to work, I have an esp with 85-89 pick ups , what pick ups you have? someone know if you can get rid of that noise or just lower it down by using an effect procesor?

Ah well thanks for your help
Quote by Dream maker
Yeah I have exactly the same problem and nothing seems to work, I have an esp with 85-89 pick ups , what pick ups you have? someone know if you can get rid of that noise or just lower it down by using an effect procesor?

Ah well thanks for your help

The material your pick is made out of is really important when it comes to picking noise, you might want to try some different materials.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
maybe you're using too thick a pick..

hey that rhymes..
^_^
It sounds like you may be inadvertantly using pinch harmonics. The style of picking I proposed earlier seems to give you lots more control of attack.
Page 1 of 2