Hey guys. I have recently bought a guitar and I am having problems with it. I can't tune the guitar properly, as when I tighten a string it moves the bridge up, causing pervious strings to go out of tune. I have no idea how to fix it, wether it if is been restrung incorrectly or just a problem with the guitar as I don't have really any knowledge of them.

I have taken a few pictures of it...

http://img526.imageshack.us/my.php?image=d7a5cf44a46e47a995b6732mc1.jpg

http://img509.imageshack.us/my.php?image=7f1a5f5de10246be8855486ir6.jpg

http://img508.imageshack.us/my.php?image=0f4b9f6041ff48248269387uf8.jpg
try angling the springs, put attach the two outer ones to the middle holes in the claw, and/or tighten the trem claw (the thing thatholds the springs)
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
before you do anything is it a really cheap guitar???? because if it isnt then you probably just have a rose floyd bridge. and if you do u just have to tune it and tune it until it sounds good. Or if you just changed string guages do lower probably 9 guage.
"I can't live my life alwayz worried about what if....
cuz what if i die tomorrow and i never even lived!"
You have a floating bridge. These are a pain in the ass sometimes (good for whammy bars though).

In that second picture, try screwing those screws in as much as possible and tighten the springs as much as you can. This will help, but won't completely solve the problem.

To tune it, just keep tuning it over and over and it will eventualy stay in tune.
I have just moved the springs as you said Schneiderman, and didn't really make any difference.
The screws are realy tite in. The guitar is a squier stagemaster.
It is annoying when the bridge is really hight as it raises the high of the strings and makes it abit more a pain to play.
Quote by Addy!
I have just moved the springs as you said Schneiderman, and didn't really make any difference.
The screws are realy tite in. The guitar is a squier stagemaster.
It is annoying when the bridge is really hight as it raises the high of the strings and makes it abit more a pain to play.

What gauge strings are you using? That will have an effect.
Springs in body must have to be tight with the same strenght as strings has, so you have to correct their position to tune your guitar. Your guitar is't broken - it's normal thing with floyd rose...
ok. thanks. I have just about managed to get it in tune after an hour of trying.

Gauge of the strings? ermm. I don't quite not what that means but I am guessing from the packet it says, S1046?
ah, i have a floyd too.

i cbf tuning it myself, i just take it to a shop when i break a string.

i once tried restringing myself and i snapped a brand new high e. so i gave up.
Haha I like that idea, think i'll use it next time. Does the strings been higher bother you? I find sometimes my finger catches on the string next to I am pushing down.
Well from what i've seen, the guitar is a fender strat HSS, or a very close copy at that, with a floyd rose tremolo, which means the bridge can move both up and down with the whammy bar. If i'm not mistaking, there should also be a locking nut too on the neck. Its a nice guitar, i'll buy one of them eventually. The ultimate versatile guitar.

Floyd Rose floating bridges are infamous for being difficult to restring and tune. My best advice, which might be pretty bad because I dont own one, would be to tune low-E string up because it has the highest tension on the bridge. Also, get it in tune to itself (meaning the strings are tuned correctly to eachother, but the notes arent actually correct) without regard to what the actual tune is any farther than somewhere close to 2 whole steps, and then raise or lower the bridge with the screws in the back accordingly. Then re-tune. Its a bitch, i know.

Guage refers to the size of the strings. There should be a number like this on the string package. Normally the standard size is .10, the size of the high-e string. Blues artists and jazz artists, such as SRV use .13 which is considered huge, and metalists that bend alot use .10s or .9s. The posters point was that the larger guage the strings, the stronger the pull on the bridge and the more it rises, and thus the harder it is to tune.

Hope i helped.
Thanks alot mate, that's a great help.

.010 (0.25) .013(0.33) .017(0.43) .026PW(0.66) .036(0.91) .046(1.17)

It says it is a fender strat stagemaster, I picked it up for a 100pounds($200) with a Peavey amp and a few accessiories.
Hey guys. I have recently bought a guitar and I am having problems with it. I can't tune the guitar properly, as when I tighten a string it moves the bridge up, causing pervious strings to go out of tune. I have no idea how to fix it, wether it if is been restrung incorrectly or just a problem with the guitar as I don't have really any knowledge of them.

Basically, that's what happens with a floating bridge...there's nothing you can do to stop it. It does mean you have to keep going back over your tuning and it takes longer to tune because of that, the plus is that once it's in tune it'll stay there.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Holy crap there's so much mis-information in this thread...

Go read this immediately and learn how to setup your FR trem.
http://jsguitarforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62785

If you're brand new to guitar, you really need to take this thing to the shop and have it professionally set up at least this first time. If you have no clue what a FR even is, then my suggestion would be to sell that thing and get something besides an FR. When you're new to guitar playing, that is NOT what you need to be dealing with.
Ibanez ARC300DVS plugged into a Valve Jr. with a 1x12 custom Ear Candy cab and a blues driver. (Too many guitars to list.)

My Soundclick
Argh cheers dude. The video link from that has helped alot.