Page 1 of 2
I've noticed that most metal guitarist tend to use light gauge strings and people who are into blues and stuff prefer using heavy ones. What kind do you normally use?

I'm kinda in between: I use Gibson Vintage Reissues (11's i think) for the low e, a, and d string while i use Ernie Ball Super Slinkies (9's i think) for the g, b, and high e string.

Also, am i the only one who uses different gauge strings for a single guitar?
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Ernie Ball Custom Gauge
I put a dollar in a change machine. Nothing changed.
Well it depends..Theres the tone factor
But drop tunings for metal players can mean that the thinner strings are sloppier and so harder to have speed on it
I use 10's as do alot of metal guitarists.
But then again so do many other types of guitarists.
Its just a case of your specific taste and preferences in terms of sound/ play quality and resistance required to play the strings
i play stuff from punk (greenday type stuff) ....things inbetween......to iron maiden like stuff and other metal ...... at the minute i am using ROTO blues gauge 10-52....i like them.....but im gonna go for a cleaner/crisper sound next time .... i dunno about gauge, i may get slightly thinner but i dont know....thinner strings are good for metal sounding stuff but thicker ones are good for de-tuning...they give a 'fuller' sound aswell
You cannot choose the little time you're given in this world. You enter bare and unclothed, provided only with intelligence enough to choose how you spend your time. You always have a choice. Always. Though be warned, your choice can rarely be undone
Yeah..i use i use those to get a good tone and nice playablity, particularly for bending. i mainly play in dropped D or dropped Db
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by rockdude375
thinner strings are good for metal sounding stuff

Thiner strings dont make metal sound better they jsut make it easyer to play thiker strings give it a more deaper sound and it also means less layering.
Quote by allchavsrgay
Thiner strings dont make metal sound better they jsut make it easyer to play thiker strings give it a more deaper sound and it also means less layering.

thats what i meant
You cannot choose the little time you're given in this world. You enter bare and unclothed, provided only with intelligence enough to choose how you spend your time. You always have a choice. Always. Though be warned, your choice can rarely be undone
Elixir top heavy 10's, it has 10's for e, B and G strings and 11's/12's for E, A and D.
I use gauge 13. jazz strings, i dont even play jazz!
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
I'm currently using a pack of .10's but the bottom is .52 I think. I like the extra 'Ooomph' on the bottom strings.
6 inches unless it's cold outside.
Quote by Shib

The internet: Men are men, women are men and little girls are FBI agents.
Quote by Friggly

lol
Quote by flyingmarlin
I use gauge 13. jazz strings, i dont even play jazz!
13's=sex.

As do 45-105.
Quote by Friggly

I knew that was coming eventually haha

I use 10-50 now.

I went through phases until I finally stuck to these and I love them.

I know some people use 9's simply becuase the bending is easier
(and btw, I tune half step down usually)
Quote by sluffinator
Yeh this guy knows his ****... just listen to him XD

Quote by ScreamingCheeto
NaivexLi is anything but naive. His post was a pretty good source of info.

Thanks

Quote by MightyAl

Pro tip, kids - girls are NOT impressed by your blood.
I use D'Addario 09's D'ADDARIO!!!!!!!!
Gear:
Ibanez S520EX EMG 81/85
Ibanez RG350MP
Fender acoustic (Black)

Peavey Vypyr 15
Peavey 6505 212 combo
Quote by PlayTheMetal
I use D'Addario 09's D'ADDARIO!!!!!!!!

+1
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
I don't really know what gauge I use, but so far as I know Rotosound only has 1 type. Which probably isn't true but bleh, I love them anyways.
Quote by Zinnie
god placed the fossils in earth to confuse the humans into thinking that earth is older than it actually is, therefore, making men try and think outside the box....

just kidding, there is no god

www.youtube.com/user/andrew12398
i use 12-53 im usally in drop D or drop C
Quote by ch715dallat
Necrophagist how could all you n00bs forget the best german metalcore band ever. i think theyre tech metalcore tho or sumfin
I have one guitar with a .60 as my top string and then my other guitars top string is .70......thats for manly things like drop a and g
I use 9's. For a while I was using hybrids (low strings guaged like 10's, highs guaged like 9's). Maybe I should use those again. I used to use 10's because I broke strings a lot, but now I don't play as hard.
Listen to mah discs.

And coming soon, THE CLEVER DEVILS VS. THE BLONDES.

Vote for me in the
12s and 13's, one on each guitar I have.

I really downtune though, usually to A. and I really like the feel of thick strings compared to lighter guage.

I use DR Red Devils
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Always outnumbered, never outgunned...
Metal guitarists prefer heavier guages (heavier tone, and it's easier to play all downstrokes), whereas the only blues player I know that uses heavy strings is SRV. Check your facts.

Anyway I us 10-46 Dean Markley Blue Steels.

But I might switch to a heavier bottom, while keeping the same high strings.
I'm using DR .11's now. I tune to D standard, and the strings are awesome...and forgive me for saying this, but they taste great too!!!
Go get your shovel.
Last edited by SynGates7X at Mar 23, 2007,
I use 10's, but i have a .36 as my low E string because it broke and i didn't have a spare .46 so i have 2 .36's on my guitar
some d'addario 11's... but i use the low E from the 12's i got my from my teacher, for dropped tunings.
"We are not concerned with motive, with higher ethics. We are concerned only with cutting down crime-."
Usually 10's, d'addario's... I usually stay in standard, and drop D, and its whats been stock on all my guitars, so I just liked the feel and kept them. I never really go down low to drop C or drop B unless I'm learning like a new metal song or something >.< I never write songs that low so I feel no need to have thick strings.
If you tune that low, I think you should play bass =]
ahh D'Addario E-10's. life is good
member #3 of the "WELOVEREGGAE" club

Quote by RIM99
Just tell her you're going over to her house to play tiddlywinks and mack that shit.

SPARTAN 296 OF UG'S 300

Jackson Dinky: $67/$499

Master Chief of the UG Society of Ninjas
i use dean markley blue steel 13-56 tuned to standard or Eb. great for srv stuff, but it's hard to play fast stuff like vai! great, great tone though. wanna try DR 13s.
My mom got me some ****ing 8-52's and oh my god they're huge....I prefer 10's myself....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Page 1 of 2